News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

I don't get why Children of Men is such a dystopia.  Sure people can't have kids, but dogs/puppies are fine, so I don't get why people go bonkers and society breaks down.  Sure, humankind will go extinct, but that's decades and decades later.  Smh at these whiners and drama queens.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 14, 2018, 11:01:03 AM
I don't get why Children of Men is such a dystopia.  Sure people can't have kids, but dogs/puppies are fine, so I don't get why people go bonkers and society breaks down.  Sure, humankind will go extinct, but that's decades and decades later.  Smh at these whiners and drama queens.

makes me think of an erotic comic book series I've read, about a kind of conan the barbarian setting there overnight all the women just mysteriously disappeared, and only leaving men. This resulted in some going crazy, but most just resorting to turning gay and having a lot of sex.

they should make a movie of that.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Munch on August 14, 2018, 11:46:17 AM
makes me think of an erotic comic book series I've read, about a kind of conan the barbarian setting there overnight all the women just mysteriously disappeared, and only leaving men. This resulted in some going crazy, but most just resorting to turning gay and having a lot of sex.

they should make a movie of that.

What is the name of the comic?

There is a comic with the opposite scenerio called Y: The Last Man where all living mammals with a Y chromosome simultaneously die except for a guy and his male monkey. It isn't an erotic story though.

Munch

Quote from: GSOgymrat on August 14, 2018, 04:34:18 PM
What is the name of the comic?

There is a comic with the opposite scenerio called Y: The Last Man where all living mammals with a Y chromosome simultaneously die except for a guy and his male monkey. It isn't an erotic story though.

Zahn by class comics.

https://www.classcomics.com/ccn/comic-titles/zahn/

wouldn't advise anyone who isn't into guys with big dicks and gay sex to click that link.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

We are all enslaved to our own endorphins, yet count ourselves free ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Black Klansman 9/10

Entertaining mostly.  I guess it has a loose connection to actual events, but mostly it's just interesting.  It also gets very high reviews from critics, so I scanned the reviews for the rare green splats on Rotten Tomatoes.  One dissed the movie for displaying the KKK as a bunch of idiots.  But that's exactly one of things the movie attempted to accomplish.  In addition to having creepy and tense moments, there were some funny things happening, often at the expense of the Klan.  Topher Grace makes a fun David Duke, and the Afro Hair style of the 60s is prominent throughout the film, much more so than I even remember in real life.  But it's not a comedy.  It's much more serious than that.

I haven't paid any attention to Spike Lee before, but I'll be looking forward to his next film.

Gawdzilla Sama

The Y-donor was a Kluxer. Other than being a racist cocksucker he wasn't stupid. He was woefully ignorant, but not dumb. His "friends" varied as much as any other random selection of white Hoosiers.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 15, 2018, 09:29:14 AM
His "friends" varied as much as any other random selection of white Hoosiers.
I noticed this too.  The movie captured that typical spectrum of humanity that you find in all groups; The organizers, followers, gorillas, and the addlebrained were all there.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on August 15, 2018, 09:36:15 AM
I noticed this too.  The movie captured that typical spectrum of humanity that you find in all groups; The organizers, followers, gorillas, and the addlebrained were all there.
With one serious difference, the KKK required violence. BSA, not so much. Brownies, very, very little.

I had the Y-donor's shotgun for a while, before turning it over to people who could use it properly. The butt plate covered a small plaque.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 15, 2018, 09:50:55 AM
With one serious difference, the KKK required violence. BSA, not so much. Brownies, very, very little.

I had the Y-donor's shotgun for a while, before turning it over to people who could use it properly. The butt plate covered a small plaque.
I confess, I don't know what you are talking about.  I looked up Y-donor KKK and just got a lot of general information.  Do I remember "Y-donor" coming up in the movie?  It seems like I recall the expression, but disregarded it not knowing what it was about.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on August 15, 2018, 10:04:24 AM
I confess, I don't know what you are talking about.  I looked up Y-donor KKK and just got a lot of general information.  Do I remember "Y-donor" coming up in the movie?  It seems like I recall the expression, but disregarded it not knowing what it was about.
The human requires two genes to become. Y-chromosome and X-chromosome or two X-chromosomes. If that isn't clear I'll expand more.
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 15, 2018, 10:32:55 AM
The human requires two genes to become. Y-chromosome and X-chromosome or two X-chromosomes. If that isn't clear I'll expand more.
I know all about that.  I just thought it was some insider reference to KKK, racism, or something else, and I was struggling to make the connection.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on August 15, 2018, 11:10:51 AM
I know all about that.  I just thought it was some insider reference to KKK, racism, or something else, and I was struggling to make the connection.
It's my own private reference so I am never surprised clarification is needed.
PZ Myers

Shiranu

I cannot wait to see "Crazy Rich Asians" next Tuesday, I hear it's really good. Constance Wu is amazing, so I definitely have high hopes.

That, and Asian American representation in film really does hinge on this one movie Adams could pave the way for more star roles for AsAm actors but alsov directors. Here's to hoping it's brilliant.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

It's great to see the Asian American communities' reaction to this, and it's amazing to see African Americans get a major boost to representation with BP and AA getting a major boost to representation with this... all extremely close together.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZyn-PFzips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G2n0sJvsLI
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur