News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

I didn't know the lip plate was worn by men, especially non-Ubangi men.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 11, 2018, 06:57:42 PM
I didn't know the lip plate was worn by men, especially non-Ubangi men.

See, he even teaches small things like that which are just interesting.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on August 11, 2018, 06:59:35 PM
See, he even teaches small things like that which are just interesting.

Who he? And do the men really wear the plates? I've  never heard of a male doing that, but it's not my area.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

You guys probably prefer Kayan women (ethnic group in Myanmar):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayan_people_(Myanmar)

Women who grow used to the neck rings, they can't support their atrophied necks if they take the neck rings off ;-(

Lip plate use depends on the tribe:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lip_plate

A Brazilian Native American chief wears one.  The Aztecs and Mayas were also into large piercings.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on August 11, 2018, 02:17:43 PMJust.. whhhhhhhyyyy....

I remember when slenderman first appeared online as an internet ghost story, just a couple of student made shorts and some creepy photos.

It wasn't exactly high art, but it had the same feel to it when the blair witch first came out in cinemas, and people were talking about it back then, it was subtle in its eerie approach.

But like all things that start off subtle and becoming popular, more and more people jump on the bandwagon, making games, more short movies, comics, him guest starring in things, before they make a movie of it.

There are some things, they should not be made into a movie. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
That looks waaay overproduced.  You don't need to throw money at the project, you just need to put some kids in the woods with a guy in a suit and roll camera.  Decent writing and pareidolia will take care of the rest.

I liked the original photoshopped images and Marble Hornets videos.  And yeah, it had a great Blair Witch vibe to it.  This trailer does too.  Looks like it could be Blair Witch 3, lol.

*edit - I could totally get behind this if it were a Found Footage, Shaky Cam sort of movie.  The characters are doing something else, Slenderman makes his appearance, everyone gets away safely, but then they start having mental problems and exhibiting odd behaviors.  They slowly start unraveling and getting more and more obsessed with Slenderman.  Then they I dunno, murder their friend in the woods or something.  Bonus points for audio/visual distortions when Slender is close by.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 11, 2018, 09:47:09 PM
That looks waaay overproduced.  You don't need to throw money at the project, you just need to put some kids in the woods with a guy in a suit and roll camera.  Decent writing and pareidolia will take care of the rest.

I liked the original photoshopped images and Marble Hornets videos.  And yeah, it had a great Blair Witch vibe to it.  This trailer does too.  Looks like it could be Blair Witch 3, lol.

*edit - I could totally get behind this if it were a Found Footage, Shaky Cam sort of movie.  The characters are doing something else, Slenderman makes his appearance, everyone gets away safely, but then they start having mental problems and exhibiting odd behaviors.  They slowly start unraveling and getting more and more obsessed with Slenderman.  Then they I dunno, murder their friend in the woods or something.  Bonus points for audio/visual distortions when Slender is close by.

Fake movies to not excite me.  Heck, most real movies don't much excite me.  Good ones though, yeah.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2018, 07:06:48 AM
Fake movies to not excite me.  Heck, most real movies don't much excite me.  Good ones though, yeah.

Urm, I get the impression the only movies you watch are history based ones then, because genres of movies lend themselves to fictional worlds and fantasy.

That must really limit your fav movie list.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on August 12, 2018, 08:32:10 AM
Urm, I get the impression the only movies you watch are history based ones then, because genres of movies lend themselves to fictional worlds and fantasy.

That must really limit your fav movie list.

The movies I watch are generally sci-fi.  I've loved Marvel characters since 1961 and LOTR.  It's the willing suspension of disbelief.  And I love cartoons.  Kim Possible is a favorite.  So is Rick & Morty and Robot Chicken.  The DVDs I watch are mostly science and history though.

Surprise!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2018, 09:07:04 AM
The movies I watch are generally sci-fi.  I've loved Marvel characters since 1961 and LOTR.  It's the willing suspension of disbelief.  And I love cartoons.  Kim Possible is a favorite.  So is Rick & Morty and Robot Chicken.  The DVDs I watch are mostly science and history though.

Surprise!

Two degrees of separation, thru Rick & Morty (I like it too).
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 12, 2018, 09:07:04 AM

Surprise!

That's good then, I began to think you didn't like fantasy and fiction for some reason
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Long story short, is Deckard a replicant? The real question is why does that matter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IcLnerkEZo

On a completely unrelated note, Movies with Mikey has the dopest intro clip.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

The Deckard is a replicant has a few problems. First off, remember that a pleasure model nearly killed him. Then another pleasure model nearly killed him.

But the premise of 2049 is that Deckard was a daddy, and had a child by a replicant mother. That would require TWO replicants to have suddenly become fertile.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Currently watching "Godzilla: Clown King of Monsters". If you haven't seen "Gojira" you probably won't be insulted by this Americanized version of a classic monster movie. If you have seen it then G:KoM is just ugly, clumsy, and painful to watch.

Good news is the next Godzilla movie will reclaim that movie title.
PZ Myers

ferdmonger

Just watched a couple movies on Nexflix.

'Calibre' is excellent.  A hunting trip gone awry, without giving too much away. 

'Ex Machina' is a really good thriller.  Tense drama.

SGOS

Bad Samaritan  10/10

Realize this is a 10 for the psycho killer genre.  I just finished it a few minutes ago.  I'm giving it a 10 because I should probably check my blood pressure ASAP, or get emergency professional help for psychological trauma.  Is there a 24 hour hot line?  That was one tense movie.  I was wondering what ever possessed me to rent the thing while I was holding onto my chair.  If you are a fan of psycho thrillers, you don't want to miss this.  If you don't like psycho thrillers avoid it like the plague.  I'm more of a romance and light comedy kind of guy, and I should promise myself I'll never watch another one of these just because I'm hard up for a movie.