News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on August 09, 2018, 11:33:18 AM
Just for Laughs, I linked my way to this.  It's just the usual Rotten Tomatoes compilation of reviews for Death of a Nation.  I linked to it from an article that headlined: "Dinesh D'Souza Phones in the Worst Reviewed Movie of the Summer"

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/death_of_a_nation/

Only 11 critics bothered to review it, but collectively it gets 0%.  The audience (and you know which audience I'm talking about)  give it a 90%

You know this is a deliberate ironic homage to Birth Of A Nation, the infamous KKK B&W movie of early years?

Yes, people don't accept the results of elections.  They shouldn't.  They should simply fire on Ft Sumter, or maybe on British troops on Lexington Green.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Infinity War spoiler:  [spoiler]

This would explain why the gauntlet got fried immediately after the snap.  Simply killing people shouldn't be very taxing (the power gem by itself can do that, albeit on a planetary scale), but creating a brand new universe and transporting half of the people of our universe there - now that would take some serious juice.[/spoiler]

Munch

I've been seeing this phrase pushed around in fictional fanbases a lot lately 'so and so did nothing wrong', which is only ever pushed around by fanboys of a particular character because said fans can't accept their fav character of doing wrong or at fault or being evil.

It's basically denial through cognitive dissonance in the same way religious followers can't accept when their God or prophet or similar were just terrible people or characters
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

I think the bottom was hit when one guy said "Hitler was the only one taking the long view in WWII!"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 10, 2018, 05:56:01 AM
I think the bottom was hit when one guy said "Hitler was the only one taking the long view in WWII!"

Technically Hitler ... did nothing wrong ;-)  He never killed anyone, other than himself ... as far as we know.  And his actions were legal under German law.  And he was initially elected, only choosing temporary dictatorship in order to protect the State from domestic and foreign enemies.

Hitler typically followed economic strategy, something his generals, who were great tacticians, did not.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

It's a crime to order people killed, even if you dodge around using that exact verbiage. Operation Hummingbird was Hitler's baby.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on August 10, 2018, 05:37:25 AM
I've been seeing this phrase pushed around in fictional fanbases a lot lately 'so and so did nothing wrong', which is only ever pushed around by fanboys of a particular character because said fans can't accept their fav character of doing wrong or at fault or being evil.
Definitely.  But I think it's tongue-in-cheek in this case.  It's obvious that he has done a lot wrong and his character is evil with a capital E.  Imo, they're poking fun at his "sympathetic" portrayal, taking it to absurd lengths.

That said, I do think the theory has merit.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 10, 2018, 10:05:50 AM
Definitely.  But I think it's tongue-in-cheek in this case.  It's obvious that he has done a lot wrong and his character is evil with a capital E.  Imo, they're poking fun at his "sympathetic" portrayal, taking it to absurd lengths.

That said, I do think the theory has merit.

I see a lot of theory crafting in popular shows and films and games that sometimes has some weight to them. The problem is some theories become so popular, that when the actual writers of these things do something that doesn't come anywhere near to the theories, the fans bitch and complain about it.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 10, 2018, 07:46:54 AM
It's a crime to order people killed, even if you dodge around using that exact verbiage. Operation Hummingbird was Hitler's baby.
]]

But, but ... on that basis most world leaders are killers.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I ended up near my favorite theater yesterday while on other business, but thought I would take advantage of a movie since it was such a long drive.  I hadn't planned this, so I didn't know what movies were playing when.  I stood outside the ticket booth studying the board and finally with some regret bought a ticket for Mamma Mia, as it was the next movie to be shown, with an hour's wait for something else.

But once in the Cineplex, I discovered that Christopher Robin which supposedly started 35 minutes earlier, was only in it's beginning credits  Those first 35 minutes include coming attractions and ads for local businesses, so I ducked into that theater with my Mama Mia ticket.  No problem that I could see, as a girl that worked at a theater told me the theater makes it's money on concessions, not on the movies, since the ticket revenues are almost all taken by Hollywood.  So I justified sneaking into the wrong movie, because Hollywood is such a greedy bastard and doesn't let the theater have any of the money for showing the films.

Actually it turns out,  Christopher Robin was a delightful movie.  I won't rate it, because you know what it's about and whether it's a genre you would bother with.  I had fun though, and when the lights came on at the end, I was surprised to see that the back of the theater was packed with little kids and their mothers who had been sitting back there quiet as mice and behaving like angels.  There may have been 60 to 70 of them in all.

Baruch

China hates "Christopher Robin" because people remark that their current Emperor Xi looks a lot like Poo Bear.  Is Trump like Tigger?

Go see the Mamma Mia prequel too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxgSXM8NUls

Just.. whhhhhhhyyyy....

I remember when slenderman first appeared online as an internet ghost story, just a couple of student made shorts and some creepy photos.

It wasn't exactly high art, but it had the same feel to it when the blair witch first came out in cinemas, and people were talking about it back then, it was subtle in its eerie approach.

But like all things that start off subtle and becoming popular, more and more people jump on the bandwagon, making games, more short movies, comics, him guest starring in things, before they make a movie of it.

There are some things, they should not be made into a movie. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

While focusing primarily on BP & Ryan Coogler's films (Frutivale Station, Creed & Black Panther, all smash hits), it addresses something that covers the entirety of the movie (and media) industry, which is representation of minorities on the screen, of portraying them as human beings (and a pitbull?) rather than stereotypes. It addresses how he creates "iconic" characters who are black (whom are extremely rare).

And it's perfectly fine to not appreciate the movie for these things, but not appreciating something is not a reason to disrespect it or the people it effects, and this is the core viewpoint the video comes from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjFpQTT7aSg

And on a less serious note, here is his take on Avatar: The Last Airbender, and is entirely philosophical rather than a statement on the current world (minus referencing that there are still actual Nazis)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlJcfYwxMig
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur