Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on August 01, 2018, 09:13:59 PM
Overboard
Critics............. 26%
Theater Goers.. 61%
Me.................  80%

Seldom do I get this far off consensus.  But I've always had a thing for Anna Ferris.  I cannot remember her in a movie where she played anything other than an overacted crazy woman, like a female Jim Carey.  She was still a little nuts in this movie too, but loveable nuts.  And like most romantic comedies, this one has it's share of cheesy.  So the 80% is a ranking for its place in the genre.  I wouldn't want to rank it against a Marvel blockbuster.

I rented it with some reluctance, but I was interested in seeing how Ferris would be in a traditional romantic comedy, which at one time, was my second favorite genre after Sci Fi.  And even though, true to form, you could figure out about everything that was going to happen, I fully enjoyed the 90 minutes.

I read someplace a couple months ago that romantic comedy is so out of favor, that actors avoid the roles, and view them as professional suicide, but to be honest, I've been missing them.

But 26% from the critics?  There's a vendetta at work or something going on there.

Critics watch movies for a living, so they see them a little bit differently. They're more easily turned off by overused cliches, for instance.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on August 01, 2018, 06:29:08 PM
he did apologize for it.
funny how you 'did research' but didn't see that fact.

I never said he didn't, so...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Whenever I see a remake being touted I think "So, nobody in your camp had an original idea?"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 02, 2018, 06:05:31 AM
Whenever I see a remake being touted I think "So, nobody in your camp had an original idea?"
I never saw the original Overboard, which didn't go over very well the first time either, although audiences liked it.  So I just looked it up.  Same story but instead of an underhanded male, this time it's an underhanded female. Yep, it's a flat out remake, and while I assume some of the details are new, the plot sounds identical.  But it was new to me.

Gawdzilla Sama

The seven movie plots:

"Those seven plots are: 1.Overcoming the Monster, 2.Rags to Riches, 3.The Quest, 4.Voyage and Return, 5.Rebirth, 6.Comedy and 7.Tragedy.Apr 15, 2005"

The Plot Thins, or Are No Stories New? - The New York Times
https://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/15/books/the-plot-thins-or-are-no-stories-new.html
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 02, 2018, 07:43:46 AM
The seven movie plots:

"Those seven plots are: 1.Overcoming the Monster, 2.Rags to Riches, 3.The Quest, 4.Voyage and Return, 5.Rebirth, 6.Comedy and 7.Tragedy.Apr 15, 2005"

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/15/books/the-plot-thins-or-are-no-stories-new.html
If this is true, it might help to explain the argument, "Every conceivable plot has already been written by Shakespeare," although I'm not going to spend any time trying to prove or disprove it.  And I understand that Earnest Hemmingway said something to the effect that, "All modern literature stems from Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn.  I won't spend a lot of time on that either.

But there sure are a lot of stories out there for only 7 plots.  There seems to be a awful lot of diversity in literature, which appears to cover just about every aspect of human experience.  Perhaps we humans don't live the varied lives we think we do.

But if I don't think about it, I can accept the premise, especially when I consider the diversity of all living things, all of which are built on only 4 molecules in the DNA alphabet.

Gawdzilla Sama

It's the difference between "Overarching plot" and "plot details."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 02, 2018, 07:43:46 AM
The seven movie plots:

Hero With A Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rArBJ2fOJMU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1qd0KGOv9Y

Giant robots are just fulfilling the myth of Talos in new armor.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 02, 2018, 01:42:50 AM
Critics watch movies for a living, so they see them a little bit differently. They're more easily turned off by overused cliches, for instance.
Yeah.  There are big differences in perception since critics routinely watch movies while most people do not.  Plots and genres that critics find overused and tiresome might still be fairly novel and exciting to someone who hasn't watched many movies.

Also, critics tend to be more negative overall because they're seeing the movie out of obligation, not out of interest.  So they might trash a movie for not being their cup of tea without realizing that for a different demographic (particularly someone more familiar with the source material), it's much more enjoyable.

And of course, there's also the opposite problem; critics rating a movie much more highly than it deserves.  Sharknado has a 82% rating from critics and a 33% rating from viewers on Rotten Tomatoes.  Also on Rotten Tomatoes, Avengers Infinity War has a 83% rating from critics and a 91% rating from views.  I'm just saying that maybe it's not a good idea to trust the judgment of people who are apparently unsure if Infinity War is better than Sharknado.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 03, 2018, 11:12:41 AM
Yeah.  There are big differences in perception since critics routinely watch movies while most people do not.  Plots and genres that critics find overused and tiresome might still be fairly novel and exciting to someone who hasn't watched many movies.

Also, critics tend to be more negative overall because they're seeing the movie out of obligation, not out of interest.  So they might trash a movie for not being their cup of tea without realizing that for a different demographic (particularly someone more familiar with the source material), it's much more enjoyable.

And of course, there's also the opposite problem; critics rating a movie much more highly than it deserves.  Sharknado has a 82% rating from critics and a 33% rating from viewers on Rotten Tomatoes.  Also on Rotten Tomatoes, Avengers Infinity War has a 83% rating from critics and a 91% rating from views.  I'm just saying that maybe it's not a good idea to trust the judgment of people who are apparently unsure if Infinity War is better than Sharknado.

I just ignore the critics.  Besides, by the time movies show up on my cable, I haven't the slightest idea what any critic said.  AND I'm kind toward the sci-fi and animated movies I enjoy.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 03, 2018, 11:12:41 AM
They seem to rate art house movies high, especially if they are foreign with subtitles and never show up at local theaters.  I have in the past traveled 70 miles to one of those funky establishments that specialize in those films to see an especially well rated film of that nature, and I am usually (but not always) disappointed.  I have this unproven personal theory that critics rate these films high out of fear that they might not be seen as high brows.  Or maybe that just makes me a low brow.  I do like movies that puzzle me, those where my understanding often feels just out of reach, and I've noticed that in general, most audiences don't agree with me.  But too often I puzzle over why someone even bothered to make the film in the first place, and then I am disappointed.

I am vindicated by the crazy experience of playing Grand Theft Audio, which contains these little experiences that create an atmosphere of the big cities.  These experiences have nothing to do with the game play.  They just add atmosphere.  The one I'm talking about is the movie theater experience, where you can buy a ticket, take time-out from the game play and go to a movie downtown.  All the movies are satires of those art house films.  No sound; Just visual images of people in angst walking aimlessly about the street holding their heads with both hands in an attempt to squash away the nothingness of their lives.  I can't sit through one of those either, but the satirical take on such films does ring true.  I go to the movies in GTA, just to relive the bad movie experience.  I even leave the theater before the end with a feeling of shame that I'm just not intellectual enough to understand one of those depressing and pointless films, even while I know that GTA is only making fun of the situation.  If I am still not ready to continue the game play, I might head over to a strip joint and buy myself a lap dance, which after the 10th time is also a bit disappointing, but still tolerable enough to make it through and leave the joint ready to beat up some hapless pedestrian.

SGOS

Just for Laughs, I linked my way to this.  It's just the usual Rotten Tomatoes compilation of reviews for Death of a Nation.  I linked to it from an article that headlined: "Dinesh D'Souza Phones in the Worst Reviewed Movie of the Summer"

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/death_of_a_nation/

Only 11 critics bothered to review it, but collectively it gets 0%.  The audience (and you know which audience I'm talking about)  give it a 90%

Gawdzilla Sama

"Biggest hit since Chuck Norris's 'Thousand Years of Darkness' blockbuster!"
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on August 09, 2018, 11:33:18 AMThe audience (and you know which audience I'm talking about)  give it a 90%
And here we have the perfect example of a misleading audience score.  Combined with my earlier assertion that critics aren't always to be trusted, we have quite the conundrum.  Critics can't be trusted, the audience can't be trusted, who does that leave?

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 09, 2018, 11:54:00 AM
And here we have the perfect example of a misleading audience score.  Combined with my earlier assertion that critics aren't always to be trusted, we have quite the conundrum.  Critics can't be trusted, the audience can't be trusted, who does that leave?

Rosebud
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.