News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

I think past statements on any platform depend on whether the person still thinks that way.  People do change.  But you can't ignore that they said either.  There has to be some acknowledgement of the past and a statement that it isn't what the person thinks today.  And a little evidence of a change from before the apology would be great evidence.  After-the-fact apologies don't mean a lot.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mr.Obvious

Bee season.

Worthless.

W o r t h l e s s

Worthless.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 01, 2018, 05:32:13 AM
I think past statements on any platform depend on whether the person still thinks that way.  People do change.  But you can't ignore that they said either.  There has to be some acknowledgement of the past and a statement that it isn't what the person thinks today.  And a little evidence of a change from before the apology would be great evidence.  After-the-fact apologies don't mean a lot.

If a person thinks and behaves the same way they did ten years ago, then digging ten years into their past wouldn't be necessary. You should be able to find contemporary evidence of those things. A ten year old scientific article isn't acceptable as a citation, so why should I care about a ten year old Tweet?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

Speaking of 10 years, rewatched Superbad last night which I think is turning/turned 11 this year.

Also speaking of 10s, 10/10 from me, it is one of the quintessential teen/high school comedy films. It hasn't aged a day, and could have been made in 1950 or 2050 with how well the humour stands on it's own instead of being pop references.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Unbeliever

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 31, 2018, 01:50:30 AM
Who the fuck dug ten years into his Twitter account just to find something to be offended by? You know how much can change in ten years? Ten years ago, I was a Conservative Christian who put the Bible over human rights. Does anyone here care what I posted on Facebook back then?

Well, to quote the first lady's jacket: "I don't really care, do U?"

;-)
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Shiranu

My only problem is that the dude was in his very late 30s-early 40s when he said those things... like, you're a grown ass adult, you should know saying that type of stuff (particularly online) is going to comeback and bite you in the ass, particularly as a public figure.

I think he should apologize for them, maybe donate to some womens abuse cause, and that should be that; no sacking, no controversy, just a guy saying some really stupid shit, realising he was wrong and everyone moving on with their lives if it seems like he has grown up since then.

There are consequences for things you say, even if they are just jokes in poor taste, but I don't really buy that these consequences fit the crime.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Also, the more I research it... yeah, all it is is right-wing assholes, the exact same mother fuckers who complain about the left being sensitive and whining about everything, just looking to stir up shit and cause controversy. Nothing new there.

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on August 01, 2018, 03:10:08 PM
My only problem is that the dude was in his very late 30s-early 40s when he said those things... like, you're a grown ass adult, you should know saying that type of stuff (particularly online) is going to comeback and bite you in the ass, particularly as a public figure.

I think he should apologize for them, maybe donate to some womens abuse cause, and that should be that; no sacking, no controversy, just a guy saying some really stupid shit, realising he was wrong and everyone moving on with their lives if it seems like he has grown up since then.

There are consequences for things you say, even if they are just jokes in poor taste, but I don't really buy that these consequences fit the crime.

he did apologize for it.
funny how you 'did research' but didn't see that fact.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

aitm

Quote from: Munch on July 31, 2018, 07:58:25 PM
isn't that like saying nobody ever can grow and learn and change? Pretty certain theres plenty of people on this site who grew out of what they believed like religion or politics.

That is exactly the point. I don't get the question, if there was one.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 01, 2018, 05:32:13 AM

Futurists are always running from their past.  This is why they hate history, it doesn't show them and their kind in a favorable light.  That much about Leftists is pure psychology.  Reactionaries are always running from the future.  This is why they hate change.  They are well invested in the status quo.  That much about Rightists is pure psychology too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on July 31, 2018, 07:58:25 PM
isn't that like saying nobody ever can grow and learn and change? Pretty certain theres plenty of people on this site who grew out of what they believed like religion or politics.

Last two years has caused me to return to a prior condition, of dissing politics entirely.  But this site isn't responsible.  This site has helped me develop my theism though ... ironic, ain't it?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on August 01, 2018, 03:10:08 PM

No ... public execution, to whet the blood lust of the proletariat.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Overboard
Critics............. 26%
Theater Goers.. 61%
Me.................  80%

Seldom do I get this far off consensus.  But I've always had a thing for Anna Ferris.  I cannot remember her in a movie where she played anything other than an overacted crazy woman, like a female Jim Carey.  She was still a little nuts in this movie too, but loveable nuts.  And like most romantic comedies, this one has it's share of cheesy.  So the 80% is a ranking for its place in the genre.  I wouldn't want to rank it against a Marvel blockbuster.

I rented it with some reluctance, but I was interested in seeing how Ferris would be in a traditional romantic comedy, which at one time, was my second favorite genre after Sci Fi.  And even though, true to form, you could figure out about everything that was going to happen, I fully enjoyed the 90 minutes.

I read someplace a couple months ago that romantic comedy is so out of favor, that actors avoid the roles, and view them as professional suicide, but to be honest, I've been missing them.

But 26% from the critics?  There's a vendetta at work or something going on there.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on August 01, 2018, 09:13:59 PM
Overboard
Critics............. 26%
Theater Goers.. 61%
Me.................  80%

Seldom do I get this far off consensus.  But I've always had a thing for Anna Ferris.  I cannot remember her in a movie where she played anything other than an overacted crazy woman, like a female Jim Carey.  She was still a little nuts in this movie too, but loveable nuts.  And like most romantic comedies, this one has it's share of cheesy.  So the 80% is a ranking for its place in the genre.  I wouldn't want to rank it against a Marvel blockbuster.

I rented it with some reluctance, but I was interested in seeing how Ferris would be in a traditional romantic comedy, which at one time, was my second favorite genre after Sci Fi.  And even though, true to form, you could figure out about everything that was going to happen, I fully enjoyed the 90 minutes.

I read someplace a couple months ago that romantic comedy is so out of favor, that actors avoid the roles, and view them as professional suicide, but to be honest, I've been missing them.

But 26% from the critics?  There's a vendetta at work or something going on there.

Liked the preview.  Like Eva Longoria.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.