News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

I've one question about antman and wasp, since there was a lot of controversy around it in the comics. In the comics, Hank Pym slaps wasp across the face and knocks her over, opening up the controversy of domestic abuse that hasn't ever really gone away with the character.
I know in the MCU Scott Lang is ant man while hank pym is an old version of himself, so doesn't quite have the same dynamic. I just wondered if they decided to stay away from that kind of controversy in this now she's in the story.
-
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on July 15, 2018, 07:40:43 PMIt's in it's second week and people haven't commented on it here.
I'm probably going to rent it.  I blew all my movie money on Deadpool 2 and Infinity War.  Totally worth it.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 16, 2018, 03:51:16 PM
I'm probably going to rent it.  I blew all my movie money on Deadpool 2 and Infinity War.  Totally worth it.
It's worth a rent.  Some Marvel movies are better than others, but none of them fail.

Munch

justice league was horrible. batman vs superman was horrible. wonder woman was okay but not that special.

I want to believe this could work, and it would be so ironic if it was the one that did. Aquaman is the justice league member considered the lamest, but there have been irritations of him that writers actually gave a shit enough about to make work, like in the justice league unlimited series.

I saw someone reviewing justice league and regarded, all jason momoa did in that was just act like jason momoa, no real acting, yet we know he can act like in game of thrones. So maybe, with a decent director, like James Wan, it could happen.

I like James Wan, he's directed some of my fav horror movies recently, like the conjuring and insidious.

Having Zack Snyder's funk away from this could be what makes it work.

Cavebear

I watched Avengers Civil War.  I was confused.   I thought Captain America would be on the side of Government.  But then I decided Iron Man had to run a business with Government.  But then Spiderman, who had been involved with SHIELD before seemed to be new to the hero game.  It was all a bad mess.

The fights were fun.  I always loved the older Marvel comics when various characters fought each other for seemingly good reasons. 

But this movie was logical crap.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 17, 2018, 04:22:23 AM
I watched Avengers Civil War.  I was confused.   I thought Captain America would be on the side of Government.  But then I decided Iron Man had to run a business with Government.  But then Spiderman, who had been involved with SHIELD before seemed to be new to the hero game.  It was all a bad mess.

The fights were fun.  I always loved the older Marvel comics when various characters fought each other for seemingly good reasons. 

You read old comics but knew nothing about the new ones? Captain America civil war comes from the comics where the same thing happened, but the story was structured differently. In the comics they pushed for the superhero registration act that all superheroes must conform to governmental control after an event that killed many innocent civilians.

Cap opposed it because having superheroes following government control put all power in their hands and he saw it as going against their civil liberties, while Tony .. well he's just a dick and sided with the government because reasons.
Spiderman first sided with Tony and followed the act, who would order all superheroes to reveal their secret identity, by unmasking himself in public, which lead to the kingpin trying to assassinate Spidey, just to shoot aunt may instead, leading to one of the worst marvel comics ever printed, One More Day (shudder)

They based the movie very loosely on these events

Mr.Obvious

A belgian movie about the quartiers in Brussels.
Lot of poverty, criminal activity etcetera. Kind of like the banlieus. Lots of prejudice against the majority of inhabitants from foreign origin as well.
I get the feeling the movie tried to look behind the aspect of blame and and Original fault, coming more to the conclusion that such prejudice is selfsustaining. It didn't try to say: this is wrong, this is right. It just said: this is it.
Interesting movie, was definitely worth the watch. Spoken in French and Dutch, though. So maybe not as accesible to most.
Only the female lead was a bit of a downer to me. I feel like she hardly acted at all, and Always sounded like a whiny, young, spoiled brat.
(Also felt like the movie was trying to point out that she was very attractive. And of course that's personal preference, but... she was higher on the hotness scale than myself, I have no problem of admitting. By far. But I don't think she's a knock-out beauty or anything. And to then have so many men wanting to 'be with her' and it being pointed out again and again, was a bit strange.)
But the story was good, and the male lead as well.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on July 17, 2018, 06:58:25 AM
(Also felt like the movie was trying to point out that she was very attractive. And of course that's personal preference, but... she was higher on the hotness scale than myself, I have no problem of admitting. By far. But I don't think she's a knock-out beauty or anything. And to then have so many men wanting to 'be with her' and it being pointed out again and again, was a bit strange.)
But the story was good, and the male lead as well.
On a related front:  The Red Sparrow

A selection of short scenes and scenarios showcasing Jennifer Lawrence acting extraordinarily hot and sexy held together with a video game type plot that fails to create a meaningful premise. 

A twist in the similarity to your film is that I've seen Lawrence doing scenes acting hot and sexy, and she can do it well when it's part of the plot, rather than just being "the plot."  It's not as titillating when the movie screams at the audience, "See Jennifer Lawrence be a deadly sexy undercover spy, who beats up guys that get in her way."

Like a female James Bond, she moves about the world.  You are never sure why she went to this or that country or place other than to be hot and sexy in a slightly different environment.  It's like someone showing you pictures of their trip to Europe:  "Here's my wife June in front of the British Parliament.  Here's June at Stonehenge.  Here she is in Poland.  Here she is buying sausage from a street vendor.  Here she is at Mount Rushmore.  Oops, I'll have to remember to put that one back with our pictures from when we went to the American West.  Here she is standing in front of a river.  I can't remember what river.  Oh wait, that's also from our trip out west."

I saw half of Red Sparrow at the theater.  I was so bored I walked out.  I felt funny about walking out.  I was sure people were thinking, "He must be some old Puritan freaked out by sex and violence,"  when really, I just got bored and thought I would rather have some French fries and a coke at Burger King if I could find one.

Sometimes sex just doesn't work in a movie if the elements don't come together in ways that make sense.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on July 17, 2018, 04:22:23 AM

I agree sort of.  I've watched this movie maybe 4 or 5 times, there are some interesting things in it.  The acting, character development and interactions between characters.  I would hesitate to call it logical crap.  Logic should not be the issue, because it's based on a child's fantasy and appeals to that side of us.  But some leaps over logic test my ability to suspend my sense of reality.  And that brings us to the logical absurdity of a civil war between the team members.  Between the team and the government, I could accept, but not the team.

The Avengers are everything the government is not.  They are superheroes, and not just because the fly and climb walls.  They have an ultimate grasp of right and wrong.  They are without corruption, and they stand up for the people, even Tony Stark.  They can't fight amongst themselves because they all have the same goals.  Unlike the government, they are pure, working for us, and do the right thing.  They are all that saves us from the tyranny of politicians, who are divided in the comics as well as reality, because they (the government) only looks out for itself, wile its component members only care about themselves and their special friends, and don't give a shit about the world or even their country.

The government being a group of incompetent assholes doesn't require a suspension of my belief, but it doesn't work for the Avengers, which will always be above the bullshit and corruption.  And even when they do something that is bad or just a mistake, we only see it that way because we cannot think and behave at their super hero level which only works for the greater good.

Gawdzilla Sama

The whole premise of Civil War is absurd. The Avengers stopped an interstellar invasion of Earth while NOT nuking New York. They stopped an ELE. Etc. And they're considered dangerous because of this. It was a committee that decided to nuke New York. Now they want to put another committee in direct charge of the "enhanced individuals". 'Cause that always works out so well.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

trdsf

Quote from: Munch on July 17, 2018, 05:43:31 AM
You read old comics but knew nothing about the new ones?
I'm in the same boat.  I haven't read mainstream titles in over 25 years; comics to me still mean Kirby doing Fantastic Four, Legion of Super-Heroes in the 70s, or Adams and O'Neil's Green Lantern/Green Arrow -- or, for that matter, MAD Magazine when it was almost all Berg and Martin and Prohias and Aragones and Davis and Coker and Jaffee and Drucker.

I got tired of DC rebooting the reboots and retconning the retcons, and Marvel deciding everyone needs to be an angstbeast carrying lots of sharp pointy things.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on July 17, 2018, 07:52:33 AM
On a related front:  The Red Sparrow

A selection of short scenes and scenarios showcasing Jennifer Lawrence acting extraordinarily hot and sexy held together with a video game type plot that fails to create a meaningful premise. 

A twist in the similarity to your film is that I've seen Lawrence doing scenes acting hot and sexy, and she can do it well when it's part of the plot, rather than just being "the plot."  It's not as titillating when the movie screams at the audience, "See Jennifer Lawrence be a deadly sexy undercover spy, who beats up guys that get in her way."

Like a female James Bond, she moves about the world.  You are never sure why she went to this or that country or place other than to be hot and sexy in a slightly different environment.  It's like someone showing you pictures of their trip to Europe:  "Here's my wife June in front of the British Parliament.  Here's June at Stonehenge.  Here she is in Poland.  Here she is buying sausage from a street vendor.  Here she is at Mount Rushmore.  Oops, I'll have to remember to put that one back with our pictures from when we went to the American West.  Here she is standing in front of a river.  I can't remember what river.  Oh wait, that's also from our trip out west."

I saw half of Red Sparrow at the theater.  I was so bored I walked out.  I felt funny about walking out.  I was sure people were thinking, "He must be some old Puritan freaked out by sex and violence,"  when really, I just got bored and thought I would rather have some French fries and a coke at Burger King if I could find one.

Sometimes sex just doesn't work in a movie if the elements don't come together in ways that make sense.

Never heard of Mata Hari?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on July 17, 2018, 05:43:31 AM
You read old comics but knew nothing about the new ones? Captain America civil war comes from the comics where the same thing happened, but the story was structured differently. In the comics they pushed for the superhero registration act that all superheroes must conform to governmental control after an event that killed many innocent civilians.

Cap opposed it because having superheroes following government control put all power in their hands and he saw it as going against their civil liberties, while Tony .. well he's just a dick and sided with the government because reasons.
Spiderman first sided with Tony and followed the act, who would order all superheroes to reveal their secret identity, by unmasking himself in public, which lead to the kingpin trying to assassinate Spidey, just to shoot aunt may instead, leading to one of the worst marvel comics ever printed, One More Day (shudder)

They based the movie very loosely on these events

Yes Munch, I read the old comics until the cost went nuts in the 90s.  My Marvel universe is basically there.  I accept that my understanding of them pretty much stopped there.  But that is what they were and everything different is not following the canon, so to speak. 

I could accept Captain America and Iron Man being on different sides of a fight, though I was surprised that Captain America wasn't on the government side until I thought about it.  Iron Man HAD to be governmental , as he had a business with government.

But some of the characters really bothered me in that movie (which I DID enjoy).  Spiderman especially.  He has always been my favorite character.  Other characters were either kids powered up to adults or adults. 

I read the orginal Spiderman comics (Amazing Stories, I think, and then Spiderman #1.  Yes, I had them in my hands as I did Fantistic Four #1 and others when I could afford the 10 or 12 cents).

One of the things I notice in movies is the logical continuation of the dress or background.  So when a movie remake changes that on me, I notice and register that in my mind.  When a movie breaks the origins or characters, that bothers me too. 

They screwed up Spiderman in The Civil War.  I really hated that.  Marvel also screwed up Iron Man in #3 with all those suits. 

I try to accept and adjust and move on.  But sometimes they make it hard.

GROK?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on July 21, 2018, 07:40:31 AM
Marvel also screwed up Iron Man in #3 with all those suits. 
#2 and #3 should have never been made.  Both cast a deadening anticlimactical pallor over what might be one of Marvel's top 5 movies.  For me, Iron Man marked Marvel's entrance into the world of film and defined a leap forward in the genre.  They had been there before, but not with as a dominating force.  I think #2 and #3 were critical stumbles that could have killed Marvel and turned it into another short lived curiosity.  But someone in the head office decided that sequels, although profitable must not ride solely on a previous success, but have something to offer in their own right.