News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 10, 2018, 06:36:42 AM
Got "Murder by Death" in the mail last night. Boss Lady's a big mystery fan, she can estimate the number of deaths in Midsomer County at the beginning of a season. ;)
Murder by Death -- I actually saw it in the theater -- wasn't a great movie, but it was a great deal of fun.  Lots of individually charming performances, or at least performances that were in turn charming.  Nancy Walker and Alec Guinness made a surprisingly effective comic duo.

And I am forever stuck with the sound of Truman Capote protesting "THE moose!  THE moose!  Say your god-damn pronouns!" (especially since what he meant was 'articles' not 'pronouns')  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on July 10, 2018, 09:44:37 PM
X-Men: Dark Phoenix is scheduled to open November 2.
There is a ray of hope then.

Quote from: GSOgymrat on July 10, 2018, 09:44:37 PM
I'm looking forward to it but worried they will get the Phoenix story wrong again. The people who created X-Men: Last Stand didn't understand what made the Dark Phoenix saga a good story.
I'm not sure what the Dark Phoenix is, but I'll be looking forward to another X-Men film.  And your right about the importance of a good story.  Directors can't just parade good talent around in front of the camera and think they've made a blockbuster.  Sometimes it does seem like they miss the essence of the storyline, or think they can innovate a better one, but that seldom happens.

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdbbfkKmpT0&t=1521s

best review for this movie ever.

I like this guy, he tells it like it is and will beat something down if it needs breaking down. He mentions the good points of movies he sees but doesn't hold back on the bullshit in and around movies.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Let me know when a perfect movie comes along. I need the sleep.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 12, 2018, 02:17:56 PM
Let me know when a perfect movie comes along. I need the sleep.

There is no such thing as perfection or utopia, because everyone jerks off to different things

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on July 12, 2018, 03:06:46 PM
There is no such thing as perfection or utopia, because everyone jerks off to different things
And yet so very many people complain about movies while purportedly knowing that everyone has different tastes.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 12, 2018, 04:02:59 PM
And yet so very many people complain about movies while purportedly knowing that everyone has different tastes.
Wait a sec...just because people have different tastes doesn't mean that there aren't bad movies or that legitimate criticisms can't be levied at movies.  Subjectivity exists to some degree, but it's not the end all be all.  It's not like one man's Suicide Squad is another man's Infinity War.  They might appeal to different people to differing degrees, but there's a bunch of stuff they did correctly (or incorrectly) that's the main reason they got well-deserved acclaim or disdain.

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Munch

Thats why criticism can be given to anything, even something you love should be open to criticism, and if you do love something you should listen to criticism about it, help gain some perspective on it. I've seen much loved movies and shows given the same treatment and it doesn't poison the well, because if you like something enough that even when you recognize the flaws in it and can still like it, then its not going t matter what people say about it.

Gawdzilla Sama

Constructive criticism vs. plain old sniping. There lies the rub.
PZ Myers

SGOS

I doubt there is any of my favorite top ten movies that I couldn't file a complaint about something.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on July 12, 2018, 09:28:09 PM
I doubt there is any of my favorite top ten movies that I couldn't file a complaint about something.
Yeah.  Many of my favorites have serious flaws.  I still like them, but I have to acknowledge that the things I like aren't perfect and have plenty of room for improvement.

trdsf

The Tingler, a William Castle film starring Vincent Price.  One of the more enjoyable cheapies from the late '50s, and Vincent Price is always fun to watch... and this showing was hosted live in person by Trace Beaulieu and Frank Conniff of MST3K, and riffed mightily and mercilessly... and hilariously.  Seriously, if The Mads Are Back comes through your area and you're an old MSTie, run, don't walk, to the box office for your tickets.

Tomorrow night - more Trace and Frank, and the movie The Choppers with Arch Hall Jr.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Shiranu

Quote from: SGOS on July 12, 2018, 09:28:09 PM

But why would you want to?

For all intents and purposes, the entertainment I love is perfect the way it is. There is no need to nitpick art I enjoy.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on July 13, 2018, 01:05:14 AM
The Tingler, a William Castle film starring Vincent Price.  One of the more enjoyable cheapies from the late '50s, and Vincent Price is always fun to watch... and this showing was hosted live in person by Trace Beaulieu and Frank Conniff of MST3K, and riffed mightily and mercilessly... and hilariously.  Seriously, if The Mads Are Back comes through your area and you're an old MSTie, run, don't walk, to the box office for your tickets.

Tomorrow night - more Trace and Frank, and the movie The Choppers with Arch Hall Jr.
The House of Wax staring Vincent Price was probably not a movie I should have watched at a young age.  It kept me awake at nights for a couple of months.  I rented it a few years ago, and it wasn't as disturbing as I remembered it, but at the age of 9 or 10, I had a profound psychological reaction.  I think it was temporary, but it was so disturbing at the time, that I have wondered if it made a change in my subconscious that might have affected me in later years.  I don't think it did, but I don't know how one would know.