News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 09, 2018, 06:51:23 PM
The factors bought slaves from other Africans. They kept them until a slave ship showed up. Most of the African slavers were muslim.

The alternative to selling prisoners from W African tribal warfare, was to simply kill them.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Dirty Dancing 1987  The original

Two more flops were made since then.  But critics gave the original a 72%, and movie goers give it a 90%.  I'm embarrassed to say I like this movie because there is so much about it that reeks of "cheesy." The moral message was probably cheesy in 1987, and would have been 20 years before that.  The characters are fabricated stereotypes.  The plot was dated.  The acting was actually good, but the lines the actors were given and the way the director called for them to be delivered made talented actors often times seem like fumblers.  I should have written down the worst of the lines, because they were abundant.  My favorites were, "I like the way the wind blows through your hair," and "I'm sorry you had to see that, Baby."   I have to wonder if the actors were thinking about how much they hated their lines were when they were doing their job.  Still with so many shortcomings, the movie is fun, and the dancing is quite good.

I think you have to watch it keeping in mind the state of the art in older movies.  And the plot is just there to furnish a matrix for the dancing.  It reminds me of a video game.  A better plot may have been a distraction from the basic pleasures which are offered as the centerpiece of the film.  The music will appeal to your sense of nostalgia, and I remember the sountrack like it was yesterday. 

Gawdzilla Sama

Got "Murder by Death" in the mail last night. Boss Lady's a big mystery fan, she can estimate the number of deaths in Midsomer County at the beginning of a season. ;)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

There doesn't seem to be anything coming from Marvel in 2018 after Ant Man.  We may have to turn to religion to make life meaningful again.

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on July 10, 2018, 09:45:24 AM
There doesn't seem to be anything coming from Marvel in 2018 after Ant Man.  We may have to turn to religion to make life meaningful again.

nope, wrong.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/marvel/237462/marvel-movies-release-date-schedule-calendar
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on July 10, 2018, 10:53:19 AM
nope, wrong.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/marvel/237462/marvel-movies-release-date-schedule-calendar

I think SGOS meant MCU. Venom and Into the Spider-verse aren't in the same canon. I believe the next MCU film will be Captain Marvel in 2019.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Well he said from marvel so anything goes in that department, even if its owned by another company like sony.

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on July 10, 2018, 12:22:57 PM
Well he said from marvel so anything goes in that department, even if its owned by another company like sony.
I knew about Spiderman, but I didn't count it, because it's an animation.  I'd heard of Venom, but I'm not familiar enough with Marvel characters to know if it is part of the thing that has been taking the theaters by storm, and even the article said they included it to be on the safe side, because they don't really know when it's coming out.

Gawdzilla Sama

And, in the end, is any of it really important?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

It's just fun to carry the importance of Marvel to an extreme, and 6 months without a Marvel movie is a record of sorts.  But stoic that I am, I will weather the absence with or without finding a god.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on July 10, 2018, 07:39:10 PM
It's just fun to carry the importance of Marvel to an extreme, and 6 months without a Marvel movie is a record of sorts.  But stoic that I am, I will weather the absence with or without finding a god.
I just rewatch the old releases during the off-season.  I must've seen Guardians of the Galaxy 2 about a dozen times and thoroughly enjoyed it every time.  It's my favorite movie.

Munch

I don't find myself to addicted to them that I sit waiting for the next one, i just find other stuff to get into.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 10, 2018, 07:43:09 PM
I just rewatch the old releases during the off-season.  I must've seen Guardians of the Galaxy 2 about a dozen times and thoroughly enjoyed it every time.  It's my favorite movie.
I'm right in the middle of Guardians 2 as we speak.  I'm at the point where the Ravagers are holding Yondu and Rocket prisoners during their rebellion, and I needed a break because I find that part (essential as it is) to be a bit depressing.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on July 10, 2018, 07:56:41 PM
I'm right in the middle of Guardians 2 as we speak.  I'm at the point where the Ravagers are holding Yondu and Rocket prisoners during their rebellion, and I needed a break because I find that part (essential as it is) to be a bit depressing.
It's even more depressing knowing that they partied for the last time at Contraxia.

GSOgymrat

X-Men: Dark Phoenix is scheduled to open November 2. I'm looking forward to it but worried they will get the Phoenix story wrong again. The people who created X-Men: Last Stand didn't understand what made the Dark Phoenix saga a good story.