News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on June 20, 2018, 04:22:57 AM
Knowing nothing about the Incredibles, I'm quite surprised by the adult reaction.  I do enjoy the occasional cartoon or Pixar, but...  I guess I'll have to go see for myself.

The original movie came out in 2004, so this sequel took 14 years to come. It's nostalgic at this point.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

The Incredibles 8/10

It's not Marvel, but it's got loads of good humor.  It reminds me of the "Spoof" series Movies

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on June 20, 2018, 07:16:11 AM
Which is what makes Killmonger such a good villain... he wasn't particularly wrong about Wakanda. He was just wrong in how far he wanted to take them in the opposite direction.

Pre-T'Challa, Wakanda were at best the "neutral" guys... they certainly weren't the good guys, and I love that that issue is essentially the central plot of the film; the heir to the throne struggling between his tradition and what is right, and managing to find a way to uphold both.

Ugggggh, this is reminding me just  how fucking good of movie it was.
"You were wrong! You were all wrong!" Fuck tradition.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on June 20, 2018, 02:25:51 PM
The Incredibles 8/10

It's not Marvel, but it's got loads of good humor.  It reminds me of the "Spoof" series Movies

"Combustion imminent?"
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

The Death of Stalin

This movie got a 96% at Rotten Tomatoes.  I don't know how to rate it, because I only watched it for 30 minutes and then turned it off as I started to go numb.  I could not see anything in it worthy of a positive comment.  I don't know how I could be so far off from the critics.  Usually I'm in the ball park, maybe varying by 30%, but this time, I'm off by 80%.  Different strokes, I guess.

Atheon

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on May 27, 2018, 11:33:33 AM
Solo:  I enjoyed it.  It's fine.  I pretty much forgot it already.  It is strange for a Star Wars movie to have virtually no Force, Jedi, lightsabers.  But maybe not quite completely none....
I enjoyed it. It's nice to see other aspects of the SW universe without Jedi. I liked seeing instances of how the Empire directly affects people's lives, rather than having it be an abstract evil. I also liked seeing events in Han's early life that had been only mentioned in passing, as well as certain other links to the other SW movies and the Expanded Universe.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Shiranu

Not a movie, but started watching Broad City. It's pretty damn hilarious, following two stoner girls through their kinda average, fuck-up life.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 22, 2018, 07:11:40 PM
The Death of Stalin

This movie got a 96% at Rotten Tomatoes.  I don't know how to rate it, because I only watched it for 30 minutes and then turned it off as I started to go numb.  I could not see anything in it worthy of a positive comment.  I don't know how I could be so far off from the critics.  Usually I'm in the ball park, maybe varying by 30%, but this time, I'm off by 80%.  Different strokes, I guess.

The Death of Hitler got better reviews, from SJWs ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOZKLtIIUZE
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

So I finally watched the Incredible Hulk movie. It was okay, but I really need to know something. Is it still canon, or is the MCU pretending it never happened? If the latter, then it's really ironic that they chose THAT movie to tease the idea of a connected universe. The ONE MOVIE that they'd erase from canon.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

I've been reflecting on Logan lately, and to me, this really is one of the best things marvel have done, in terms of a movie.
It isn't big and flashy like avengers, or politically fueled like black panther, or surreal like dr strange, or over the top goofy and fun entertainment like guardians of the galaxy. But it does do something that we're likely not see again in the same light.

I fell in love with the x-men franchise when it was first released, I was so excited since at the time I'd become a huge fan of x-men, so getting a movie made of them live action on the big screen got me so excited. I'd also at the time started to become a fan of wolverine, but not as much as other marvel characters. Yet it was hugh jackmans performance that pushed me over, and i became a solid wolverine fan.
he's pretty much been the heart and soul of the x-men movies since, also Patrick Stewart as Xavier, they were always the best parts of these movies, and even in things like first class having someone else playing xavier already had that gravitas due to Stewarts role.

I was reading recently how Chris Hemsworth, who's captured Thor for us all in the movies, both good and bad, had said he's ready to quit playing Thor now, how he doesn't want to return to the role. This strikes me as just him giving up and wanting to move on, and thats fine, but given who much he was loved in the role and even more so now with recent changes, its kind of jumping off and abandoning ship while things are starting to get good.

And this is why Logan is such a great moment for comic book movies. We've followed the characters for nearly 20 years, we've grown to accept the actors in their roles as these characters, and for some its hard to imagine someone else taking that role on again. But any time an actor is associated with a role everyone loves, we have to accept the fact that actor will grow old and die one day.
So instead of just giving up on the role everyones known and loved you for nearly 20 years, Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart gave finality to their characters stories, grounded it, instead of just walking away from it and expecting someone else to take over the role for them, they made sure these characters they played as  had finality to them, their stories could end, and the actors playing them could walk away from the roles with some emotional connection instead of just giving up like the characters they played meant nothing. They invested everything in their roles, and made sure to send them off in a decent way.

I believe others will come in later on to play xavier and logan/wolverine down the line, but the send off Jackman and Stewart gave the characters they played really deserves the highest praise.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Of favorite comic book spectaculars, we seldom hear about what is near the top of my personal list, and it never made it to a franchise.  Only one film was made in 2005 before the franchise packaging became the standard for comic book heroes.  V for Vendetta captured my imagination.  One of it's strengths, which stopped any franchising in it's tracks, was that the story was complete and came to a definite end.  Not that writers couldn't work around that, but I'm afraid that would result in sequels of lesser quality and tarnish what I consider a stand-alone masterpiece.

I don't think the movie was hyped much, although I'm not sure how much hype adds to the actual quality of the movie.  I had no idea of what I was going to see that blustery night in Victoria British Columbia when I walked through a mixture of sleet and snow to the theater.  I just felt like going to a movie, and I chose that movie randomly from of an assortment of posters outside the ticket office. 

When I am taken by surprise by what turns out to be a notable film, it enhances its stature in my mind.  Maybe it came too soon.  People weren't talking about blockbuster fantasy movies 13 years ago like they are today, and Hollywood had no guarantee that films taken from the comics were going to fill theaters whether they were exceptional or just average.  But I'd love to see an attempt at a sequel.

Baruch

There was a whole genre of adult comics into movies ... The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, V For Vendetta, 300, and 300-Rise of an Empire.  I had gone and peaked at the graphic novels of the first three, and saw those in the theater.  The last, I have only watched clips (wasn't fond of 300 anyway).

Yes, V For Vendetta, a reworking of 1984, is a compelling story of the "revenge" category.  What did you think of the idea and styling of the graphic-novel-to-live-action-CGI format?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Someone gave me an unopened DVD of 300.  I think it was a freebee thrown in with some hardware package deal.  He didn't want it and didn't even open it.  I didn't find it interesting.  I can't remember if there was anything clever in it.  I just remember warrior gladiator types hacking and slicing their way about the landscapes.  It reminded me of the movies that dominated the Saturday afternoons of my childhood.  I've rewatched a few of those Roman vs. barbarian movies in my later years, and basically saw them as boring.  I didn't know 300 was based on anything.  I wonder if the source material was as dull.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on June 24, 2018, 06:43:25 AM
Someone gave me an unopened DVD of 300.  I think it was a freebee thrown in with some hardware package deal.  He didn't want it and didn't even open it.  I didn't find it interesting.  I can't remember if there was anything clever in it.  I just remember warrior gladiator types hacking and slicing their way about the landscapes.  It reminded me of the movies that dominated the Saturday afternoons of my childhood.  I've rewatched a few of those Roman vs. barbarian movies in my later years, and basically saw them as boring.  I didn't know 300 was based on anything.  I wonder if the source material was as dull.
Typical comic book movie, light on plot, heavy on thud and blunder. The sequel has Eva Green.
PZ Myers

SGOS

The watchmen was put out by the same guy that did 300.  I don't remember being impressed by that one either.  I just remember that giant walking around with his wang hanging out.