News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on June 15, 2018, 10:33:55 AM
I thought I should rent Gone With the Wind, being as it's such a classic, but I was really disappointed.

It has strong moments, but it IS dated...  And I always do like where Rhett DOESN'T say "Frankly my fear, I don't give a damn". 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Arrival (2016) ... just read yesterday that Stephen Wolfram (mathematical physicist) and his son, developed the alien language for this movie ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMo3UJ4B4g

It stemmed from their actual work in Wolfram Language ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfram_Language

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on June 16, 2018, 05:51:02 AM
It has strong moments, but it IS dated...  And I always do like where Rhett DOESN'T say "Frankly my fear, I don't give a damn". 
That's much why I wasn't impressed.  The film is dated.  The story is about as subtle as a hammer.  The acting is dated, and the script is dated, with lines like "Frankly my dear."  It came on the heels of the silent films, and Scarlet was still using visual body language to convey ideas an emotion.  I keep picturing her with the back of her hand to her brow feigning the deep anxiety supposedly inherent in the weaker sex of that era.  It really is not a good film by today's standards, and it should be destroyed.  Or only shown in the venue format of Mystery Science Theater.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on June 16, 2018, 06:07:37 AM
Arrival (2016) ... just read yesterday that Stephen Wolfram (mathematical physicist) and his son, developed the alien language for this movie ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFMo3UJ4B4g
This movie was one of the best in recent years.  It's approach to alien communication is truly unique and highly convincing.  It conveys the idea that communication can be based on things humans have never considered, that could go beyond Wolfram's conception.  And it deals with non-linier time, which may or may not be real, but is currently an interesting thought.

Now compare this to a classic forerunner, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, another film that should be destroyed:  Where would aliens that wanted to communicate with humans go?  Why to the top of Devil's Tower in Wyoming of course, where it could only be reached by rock climbers or helicopter pilots.  And how would they communicate?  By 4 musical organ notes played on the noise maker of a broken Children's game.  And their purpose?  To see if some idiot could be enticed to leave with them because they liked music, and signified that the aliens were harmless.  To me that film was dated the year it came out, but others love it.  I gave it a face palm.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on June 16, 2018, 06:43:32 AM
That's much why I wasn't impressed.  The film is dated.  The story is about as subtle as a hammer.  The acting is dated, and the script is dated, with lines like "Frankly my dear."  It came on the heels of the silent films, and Scarlet was still using visual body language to convey ideas an emotion.  I keep picturing her with the back of her hand to her brow feigning the deep anxiety supposedly inherent in the weaker sex of that era.  It really is not a good film by today's standards, and it should be destroyed.  Or only shown in the venue format of Mystery Science Theater.

Well, I'll give it a little more credit than that.  It was impressive for its time.  But I get your point and fully agree.  Its why we don't see 'Birth Of A Nation' today either. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 16, 2018, 06:43:32 AM

Not done burning books, now you burn old films?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 16, 2018, 07:43:48 AM
Well, I'll give it a little more credit than that.  It was impressive for its time.  But I get your point and fully agree.  Its why we don't see 'Birth Of A Nation' today either.

Don't know how good 'Birth Of A Nation' either, but I would pay to see a fictional film of New England in flames ... reverse General Sherman.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on June 16, 2018, 08:47:19 AM
Not done burning books, now you burn old films?
The book may have been better, but I'd burn it just to be on the safe side.

Gawdzilla Sama

As I understood it, they didn't go to the top of Devil's Tower, the "reception" was on the other side.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

I like to watch "old" movies of the 50-60's the so called"golden age of television".....by god there were truly awful actors....even those I loved when I watch today...whew.....pretty lousy acting. Musta been a whole lot of "me too's " back then.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: aitm on June 16, 2018, 09:21:06 PM
I like to watch "old" movies of the 50-60's the so called"golden age of television".....by god there were truly awful actors....even those I loved when I watch today...whew.....pretty lousy acting. Musta been a whole lot of "me too's " back then.
You had single screen theaters and three channels of TV.

There was some good stuff back then, but most of it was meant to sell cigarettes and beer.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 17, 2018, 06:59:57 AM

There was some good stuff back then, but most of it was meant to sell cigarettes and beer.
We watched it because, well, there wasn't anything else to watch, but it was enjoyable at the time.  By today's standards, the old stuff seems (and was) primitive.  I suppose classics are classics because they were notable at the time.  Today, the acting, scripts, and productions values of those classics are almost always substandard.  When I watch one of these old films, and I do from time to time, I find myself doing a lot of forgiving of the quality, while I watch with kind of embarrassed nostalgic curiosity.

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 17, 2018, 06:59:57 AM

Everything went thru the ratings board, composed solely of Catholics (here in the US, believe it or not).  But then, today, our SCOTUS is only Catholic and Jewish.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on June 17, 2018, 07:42:41 AM
We watched it because, well, there wasn't anything else to watch, but it was enjoyable at the time.  By today's standards, the old stuff seems (and was) primitive.  I suppose classics are classics because they were notable at the time.  Today, the acting, scripts, and productions values of those classics are almost always substandard.  When I watch one of these old films, and I do from time to time, I find myself doing a lot of forgiving of the quality, while I watch with kind of embarrassed nostalgic curiosity.
I read a lot of books.
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 17, 2018, 09:35:17 AM
I read a lot of books.
They can be dated too, but seldom as glaringly as films.  I recently read For Whom the Bell Tolls, as I thought it was high time I become familiar with Hemmingway.  I guess he's classic American literature.  Maybe it was just his style, but he seemed terrified of profanity where it was entirely appropriate, although I know the censors were watching with a perverted sense of righteousness.  Maybe he could not have been published with actual battle language.  His romantic episodes were laced with almost embarrassing pet names for his love, on the order of "my little puddin' dumpling", although I can't remember his exact wording.  I just remember it didn't sound real, and in my opinion, they were inappropriate for the character.  Yet, Hemmingway is worshiped.

But most writing holds up surprisingly well over the years, and even writing from other countries, where you would expect some unusual phrases or word usages that sound unfamiliar.