Author Topic: Rate the latest movie you've seen.  (Read 239134 times)

Offline SGOS

Re: Rate the latest movie you've seen.
« Reply #3060 on: June 09, 2018, 10:10:00 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah, his character was pretty goofy in Ragnarok.  I think he was okay in Infinity War, though he was nothing like the Thor depicted in the comics - regal, proud, somewhat intimidating.  Thor in Infinity War was godlike in his actions, but the dialogue had a very mortal bearing.  Given what he has lost, that makes sense.  And come to think of it, MCU Odin and Loki don't really have the demeanor of Gods, either.
I can't speak to the comics, but in the movies Thor has always delighted me with his simpleton like caricature of a God.  He's always been goofy, acting like an immigrant suffering from jet lag, rather than the protector of Midguard.  Ragnarock may have overused it, because it went over so well in the previous movies.  I was still OK with it, but it did kind of stretch the image.

Offline Munch

« Reply #3061 on: June 09, 2018, 10:11:02 PM »
I'm not saying you have a lack of empathy, I'm saying you refuse to show it towards people you have been told not to.

And who might these people be who tell me to think that?

Offline Baruch

« Reply #3062 on: June 10, 2018, 07:44:55 AM »
Tell me, have you ever watched the movie the color purple, starring Whoopi Goldberg?

I saw this movie as a child and didn't understand back then the messages and implications of it, but I remember my mum watching this movie and crying.

I watched it again like 15 years later, and got why she did. Its the historical context, the depth of the characters, and her performance that made this movie a piece of cinematic history.

Don't sit at your computer screen telling me I have a lack of empathy, because I'll prove you so wrong on every count.

That was a great movie.  But it was feminist (in a good way) about misogyny and racism.  I didn't cry, I wanted to go baseball bat on some people.  See, tragedy is like that.  It engages the deeper emotions, to purge them (says Aristotle).

I enjoyed the clips I saw from Black Panther ... but then I like movies that come from an alternative cultural context, even sci-fi.  White folk are so vanilla ... give me some chocolate or strawberry please.

The real Wakanda ...

« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 11:13:19 AM by Baruch »
שלום

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #3063 on: June 11, 2018, 09:19:30 AM »
I can't speak to the comics, but in the movies Thor has always delighted me with his simpleton like caricature of a God.  He's always been goofy, acting like an immigrant suffering from jet lag, rather than the protector of Midguard.  Ragnarock may have overused it, because it went over so well in the previous movies.  I was still OK with it, but it did kind of stretch the image.

Well I did always enjoy the way Hulk treated the Norse Gods.  In that one movie, he just grabbed Loki by the feet and beat him around on the floor like a lady beating down rats with a broom, LOL!  On the other  hand, Loki was just worn out, not dead, like any mortal human would have been.  And at the end, he just punches Thor right out of the ship and didn't actually hurt him.  So the Asgardians might have a claim to a general immortality.  They do seem to be pretty indestructible.  And I do know my Norse lore.

And in the Marvel Comics of yore, Thor was a pretty grim conservative fellow (all thunder and lightening) only slightly modified by his experiences among humans (whom he came to admire).  I suppose that could explain his slightly different outlook in the movies. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Offline Baruch

« Reply #3064 on: June 11, 2018, 01:02:38 PM »
Paganism was not only older than monotheism, it is more rational and more humorous.  Monotheism started with the mad puritan, Pharaoh Akhenaten.
שלום

Offline Sal1981

« Reply #3065 on: June 12, 2018, 04:55:00 AM »
The Mummy (2017) - 4/10

Not even all the cgi could make this movie any better, and stupid story as well.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool" --- Richard P. Feynman

Offline SGOS

« Reply #3066 on: June 12, 2018, 05:24:53 AM »
The Mummy (2017) - 4/10

Not even all the cgi could make this movie any better, and stupid story as well.
One of my first horror interests were the old black and white Mummy originals.  I was at an age where the whole concept of mummies was unique, plus they got up and walked around when disturbed.  There's still lots of Mummy lore that could be developed.  Who knew the real scoop on what vampires are really capable of, until Hollywood showed us what they really could and couldn't do.  I'm not going to bother with this one.  Tom Cruise is capable, but now type cast.  It's always Tom Cruise, and never a new personality that I can develop an interest in.  They're always about, well... Tom Cruise.  Plus the ratings on this one were near bottom.  I've seen worse reviews, but not very often.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 07:12:08 AM by SGOS »

Offline Baruch

« Reply #3067 on: June 12, 2018, 06:46:34 AM »
Hard to beat Boris Karloff ... bring torches and pitchforks ;-)

The original movie of course was inspired by the "curse of king Tut" back in the 1920s.
שלום

Online trdsf

« Reply #3068 on: June 15, 2018, 03:26:51 AM »
Well, not so much a movie as 90 movie clips in 18 categories... oh boy.

See, there's this thing called the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  And what they do is take really awful movies and put five clips up in each of 18 (formerly 19) categories, ranging from Most Ludicrous Premise and "Let's Up The Rating To R" to Crummiest Ending and Worst Picture.

Every five years, they take the last five "winners" and put them up against each other in the MegaMeta Smithees.  Last year we chose the fifth set of MegaMeta Smithee "winners".

This year for the first time they held the UltraMegaMeta Smithees, pitting the last five MegaMeta "winners" against each other.

To quote the immortal Doctor Zachary Smith, "Oh the pain... the pain!"
Sir Terry Pratchett, on being told about the theory that the universe is a computer simulation: "If we all get out and in again, would it start to work properly this time?"

Offline Baruch

« Reply #3069 on: June 15, 2018, 06:54:39 AM »
Well, not so much a movie as 90 movie clips in 18 categories... oh boy.

See, there's this thing called the You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  And what they do is take really awful movies and put five clips up in each of 18 (formerly 19) categories, ranging from Most Ludicrous Premise and "Let's Up The Rating To R" to Crummiest Ending and Worst Picture.

Every five years, they take the last five "winners" and put them up against each other in the MegaMeta Smithees.  Last year we chose the fifth set of MegaMeta Smithee "winners".

This year for the first time they held the UltraMegaMeta Smithees, pitting the last five MegaMeta "winners" against each other.

To quote the immortal Doctor Zachary Smith, "Oh the pain... the pain!"

Art is unforgiving.  Even popularity fades.  Becoming a classic is almost impossible.  And there is ... "if you can't be a positive example you can always be a negative example".
שלום

Offline SGOS

« Reply #3070 on: June 15, 2018, 10:33:55 AM »
Art is unforgiving.  Even popularity fades.  Becoming a classic is almost impossible.  And there is ... "if you can't be a positive example you can always be a negative example".

I thought I should rent Gone With the Wind, being as it's such a classic, but I was really disappointed.

Offline Baruch

« Reply #3071 on: June 15, 2018, 12:31:41 PM »
I thought I should rent Gone With the Wind, being as it's such a classic, but I was really disappointed.

Needs a big screen, and that was very long ago.  The two super classics are Vertigo and Citizen Kane.  Have you seen those?
שלום

Offline SGOS

« Reply #3072 on: June 15, 2018, 02:03:03 PM »
Needs a big screen, and that was very long ago.  The two super classics are Vertigo and Citizen Kane.  Have you seen those?
Yes.  I watched Vertigo several times on the old 1960's black and white TV, but haven't seen it for a long time.

Offline Baruch

« Reply #3073 on: June 15, 2018, 06:46:22 PM »
Yes.  I watched Vertigo several times on the old 1960's black and white TV, but haven't seen it for a long time.

Much better in color ... and it is now rated higher than Citizen Kane.  Citizen Kane of course was filmed in B&W deliberately.
שלום

Offline Munch

« Reply #3074 on: June 15, 2018, 07:09:40 PM »
Dunno if I talked about this one before, but I remembered seeing it last year.

It Follows 6/10

Spoilers:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk