News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningYMIR

I went And saw solo and i was pleasantly surprised. I honeslty Didn’t expect much after episode 8, which I womt Get into but can easily say was the worst Star Wars movie. But it was a fun movie. No it wasn’t perfect but it went into the deeper gangster lines in Star Wars, you had ham the scoundrel/scrapper. His mentor the gunslinger and the criminal forces set against and aside them.

Don Glover, Lima him or hate him, was a great Lando and seemed to channel the energies of the original Lando Calrissian perfectly. And the side characters like L3 and Qira were great, and the villain was terrific albeit not super deep like most people want their villains to be. Just a bad crazy guy serving another bad crazy guy.

I wasnt Super thrilled about he cameo of the big bad towards the end of the movie. But still was a solid 8/10 of a film, almost a 9/10.  Proving that any movie not in the main 7-9 trilogy is fantastic.

Unfortunately it’s  getting it by all the blowback from purists not wanting anyone beyond Harrison ford being Han Solo, and everyone pissed off from last Jedi.

Worth seeing and worth owning and set up a good story for a sequel but unfortunately it will be abandoned I believe.

Some notable cameos without spoilers
-Aurra Sing mentioned
-Bossk mentioned
-Mandalorian battle armor
-The imperial March
-Correlian Shipyards
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on June 04, 2018, 08:42:05 AM
And that is my major problem with this. Seeing Thor in Ragnarok and Avengers infinity war, it just doesn't seem like the same character. Its true in the first and second Thor movies he wasn't exactly like he was in the comics, but the tone of Hemsworth voice and the way he spoke, who he acted, it felt like he was TRYING to convey the Thor from the comics.
Come Ragnarok and infinity war, he's just seemed to abandon that, to become his easy to crowd please character that fits more in the guardians of the galaxy movies then he does in anything related to the Thor storyline.
Yeah, his character was pretty goofy in Ragnarok.  I think he was okay in Infinity War, though he was nothing like the Thor depicted in the comics - regal, proud, somewhat intimidating.  Thor in Infinity War was godlike in his actions, but the dialogue had a very mortal bearing.  Given what he has lost, that makes sense.  And come to think of it, MCU Odin and Loki don't really have the demeanor of Gods, either.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 04, 2018, 10:18:27 AM
Yeah, his character was pretty goofy in Ragnarok.  I think he was okay in Infinity War, though he was nothing like the Thor depicted in the comics - regal, proud, somewhat intimidating.  Thor in Infinity War was godlike in his actions, but the dialogue had a very mortal bearing.  Given what he has lost, that makes sense.  And come to think of it, MCU Odin and Loki don't really have the demeanor of Gods, either.

yeah, you saying that. Although I still like Tom Hiddleston as Loki, when you think in the comics he seems more sneaky and deceptive, while in the MCU he has a more of a grandeur at times, like the scene in the first avengers movie when he orders the public to kneel before him, or when he tries to berate Hulk about his status as a god. I'd say he was more consistent a character in these films then Hemsworth as Thor has been.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

I watched some of Halloween 2007 last night.  It was harder to watch than the originals.  Just brutal.  But it did a really good job of showing/explaining  the younger Michael Myers at the beginning.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on June 05, 2018, 04:56:03 AM
I watched some of Halloween 2007 last night.  It was harder to watch than the originals.  Just brutal.  But it did a really good job of showing/explaining  the younger Michael Myers at the beginning.
And really, who doesn't have a slutty sister that deserves to be slaughtered?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on June 05, 2018, 04:56:03 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p_sqF928kc

Sal1981

10 Cloverfield Lane - 8/10

Albeit with slow progression, still makes for an interesting movie around the Cloverfield concept.

Cavebear

Well, actually I liked the sequels of the original a lot more.  VERY creative ways of him killing people.  Don't worry, I don't tend in that direction myself.  But one can admire the movie-maker trade.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Shiranu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwPwJFIwD80&t=2s

Besides just going over what made this movie one of the greatest movies of... well, movie history..., he also says something incredible relevant; it's so easy for white people to be confused at best, or dismissive and hateful at worse, about African Americans making a deal out of their skin colour... but you have to realise that their entire culture was stolen from them and, for several hundred years more, denied any agency. Their skin colour is about the only link to their heritage as they have... and that is something we simply cannot ever fully grasp.

It's not just the past, either; even to this day, the colour of their skin is justification enough for them to face increased persecution and prejudice... but it's not enough for them to take pride in or rally around? Really?

So when African Americans are accused of playing "identity politics", or rebutted with, "ALL lives matter!", it is spoken from a place purely of ignorance... which should be rather self evident anyways, since ignorance is generally what breeds hatefulness.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

You know, maybe instead of looking for identity politics in a movie to satisfy your social narrative, how about, oh i dunno, look at the movie as a fucking movie and judge it on that instead of forcing the message of 'WHITE PEOPLE DON'T GET IT, THIS IS THE GREATEST MOVIE EVAH, RREEEEEEE!!"

I like Idris Elba, i think he's an incredibly charming and charismatic actor with a lot of acting skill to him. Do I increase his acting prowess because he's black? Is that going to effect how good an actor he is, or how well his performance comes off? No, I like him because of his acting ability, I don't look at the color of his skin as anything meaningful.

That in itself shows just having a good actor performing his role and people not caring the color of his skin means the world has moved on. Its also why people like you blowing up black panther like its the greatest movie ever is just ridiculous, because we love in a time now that we don't need such messages forced hammered in peoples faces.

And its not hatred and ignorance, its forced identity politics that just pisses everyone else off. I've seen the same shit happen with gay people in media, like then sjw marvel decided for no reason to change Icemans sexuality to gay, just because, even though he's been straight for years. That isn't a natural progression of character, thats forcing gender politics.

Also maybe you want to look at actual audience reviews of the movie and gain some perspective.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/black_panther_2018/reviews/?type=user

i think this says it best

Quote"I wanted this to be awesome, I thought Black Panther in Civil War stole the show! and once you brush off the hype and identity politics this movie is mediocre at best."

I can accept it being a good movie, with the kind of standards i'd coming to expect from a good marvel movie. But calling it the greatest movie of all time is frankly an insult to cinema.

Also one guys message from the video you linked.

QuoteThe thing is, the second I say I didn't really enjoy BP as much as others did, everybody is like "YOU HATE IT BECAUSE THERE ARE BLACK PEOPLE! YOURE RACIST!" and honestly, that's probably why I burried this movie under the ground. It's a good movie, but it's not worth all the fighting. Still liked Thor: Ragnarok or even Spiderman: Homecoming better. I do love the badass women in this movie though. Okoye is the badass woman we deserved, unlike Wanda, or the MCU's fucked up version of Black Widow.

Says it all. If its something where unless you agree 100% its the greatest movie of all time, your seen as a racist white guy. And all that does it create a vacuum, where people just can't be bothered with the movie. they'd sooner avoid it then deal with the screaming social justice banshees reeeeing if you don't agree with them and their need for validated opinions.

Munch

Maybe I'm needing a better angle to get this across, okay here we go. Heres a black dudes reaction to the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMpVumNTiKA

Actually due to all this, I started looking at more of this guys videos, and now subbed to him, so there you go, pro points, you made an evil white guy un-racist.

Shiranu

QuoteYou know, maybe instead of looking for identity politics in a movie to satisfy your social narrative, how about, oh i dunno, look at the movie as a fucking movie and judge it on that instead of forcing the message of 'WHITE PEOPLE DON'T GET IT, THIS IS THE GREATEST MOVIE EVAH, RREEEEEEE!!"

Never said it was the greatest movie ever (though it's certainly up there with the greats, which is what I said), however what you essentially are arguing is that art should only be art and not have any depth to it.

That's fine if you want to interpret that way, I for one love art for arts sake, but that doesn't somehow discredit that this movie also has a narrative that it itself pushes. You are free to interpret it however you want, or refuse to interpret it, but that doesn't somehow mean everyone else is wrong because they choose to look at it another way. I have no problem with you viewing it purely as art for arts sake, so I would expect the same respect back.

QuoteIts also why people like you blowing up black panther like its the greatest movie ever is just ridiculous, because we love in a time now that we don't need such messages forced hammered in peoples faces.

I'm sorry, but what? We live in a time that we don't need these messages "forced" into people's faces?

First off, it's a movie... no one forced you or anyone else to watch it. Second off, when is the right time to talk about social issues, or really any issue? We shouldn't talk about issues when they are a problem is absolutely ridiculous, ignoring the problem is not going to make it go away... and the problem is the problem has been ignored for generations. If they stay silent no one pays attention and if they talk about it you have segments of society that think they shouldn't... it's a lose/lose situation.

But again... seriously, it's a movie. No one is forcing you to watch it, nor is anyone forcing you to get that message out of it. You are 110% free to simply watch it as a movie and take absolutely nothing away from you, and no one is going to shoot you in the head if you do that. Shit, no one is even going to care. It's only when you are obnoxious about it that anyone says something.

QuoteAnd its not hatred and ignorance, its forced identity politics that just pisses everyone else off.

No, i'm pretty sure it's hatred and ignorance, since it's the people who hated gays, blacks, women or whoever anyways who are now shrieking and screaming that they are forced to hear about gays, blacks, women or whoever.

The ones screaming the loudest now that they are "forced" to hear about minorities are the exact same people who were screaming about how terrible those minorities were before. So I don't buy that victim blaming shit for a second.

QuoteAlso maybe you want to look at actual audience reviews of the movie and gain some perspective.

Sorry, who do you think I associate with? Professional movie critics?

I saw the movie with two friends, talked about it at work with several coworkers and plenty of customers, and linked a video from a semi-professional at best critic. Even excluding CinemaWins I have yet to meet a person in the "real world" who thought Black Panther was anything other than amazing or really, really good. That doesn't mean they don't exist, it just means that, from my personal experiences, I have yet to meet anyone who didn't like the movie. But there is something really troubling about this implication you make that I am somehow being brainwashed because my life experience is different... that is what get's really obnoxious and makes it hard to agree with you. The fact that I view the world differently than you MUST mean that somehow insidious forces have infiltrated my brain and make me think the way I do as part of some grand conspiracy to destroy the  West... do you not see how people could get really annoyed with that?

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on June 09, 2018, 09:41:03 PM
Maybe I'm needing a better angle to get this across, okay here we go. Heres a black dudes reaction to the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMpVumNTiKA

Actually due to all this, I started looking at more of these guys videos, and now subbed to him, so there you go, pro points, you made an evil white guy un-racist.

And that's perfectly fine for him to have that opinion... like, I don't get what is so complicated to grasp about this. The fact that one person didn't take something away from a movie that I, or alot of people did, is perfectly okay.

My only problem is that you and other's on your side of the isle insist that everyone is so fucking stupid for interpreting a message from art because it's "just art"... even he slightly eludes to it with the Wonder Woman bit... okay, that is perfectly fine that you didn't get anything from it, but that doesn't somehow invalidate that many women, or men who support women gaining social relevance, did.

It's a lack of empathy as far as I can tell, and an inability to view the world from other people's perspective.

Munch

Tell me, have you ever watched the movie the color purple, starring Whoopi Goldberg?

I saw this movie as a child and didn't understand back then the messages and implications of it, but I remember my mum watching this movie and crying.

I watched it again like 15 years later, and got why she did. Its the historical context, the depth of the characters, and her performance that made this movie a piece of cinematic history.

Don't sit at your computer screen telling me I have a lack of empathy, because I'll prove you so wrong on every count.

Shiranu

QuoteDon't sit at your computer screen telling me I have a lack of empathy, because I'll prove you so wrong on every count.

I'm not saying you have a lack of empathy, I'm saying you refuse to show it towards people you have been told not to.