News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on May 27, 2018, 11:33:33 AM
Solo:  I enjoyed it.  It's fine.  I pretty much forgot it already.  It is strange for a Star Wars movie to have virtually no Force, Jedi, lightsabers.  But maybe not quite completely none....

Yeah, preview looks good.  They finally got the soy boys out of the galaxy.  Plenty of gun fights.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on May 27, 2018, 11:33:33 AM
Solo:  I enjoyed it.  It's fine.  I pretty much forgot it already.  It is strange for a Star Wars movie to have virtually no Force, Jedi, lightsabers.  But maybe not quite completely none....
I might be one of the few people who could actually really enjoy that.

You could have a criminal on the run from bounty hunters stumble across an ancient alien relic of immense power.  You could have a hyperspace scout from a megacorporation try to chart a new hyperspace lane only to go far off course and end up in some strange new alien system.  Or could tell the story of Republic commandos.  Or stormtroopers finding a ship with a mysterious pathogen that turns people into zombies.  Hell, you could just do a Thrawn movie.

*edit - and a Mandalore  movie would be the most epic Star Wars movie ever!  It'll probably never happen, but a guy can dream.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on May 25, 2018, 04:29:29 PM
Well no not when there's a cash cow to be made

I read the list of the Marvel superheroes who died.  I don't believe any of it.  My assumption is that they will all return in the next movie.  Marvel never kills anyone.  Well, not "permanently".  LOL! 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on May 29, 2018, 03:01:48 PM

I read the list of the Marvel superheroes who died.  I don't believe any of it.  My assumption is that they will all return in the next movie.  Marvel never kills anyone.  Well, not "permanently".  LOL! 
Remember that at least one of them is a Time Lord.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 29, 2018, 06:32:54 PM
Remember that at least one of them is a Time Lord.

OK, that's a surprise to me.  Who? (and that isn't a pun).
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on June 01, 2018, 02:41:40 AM
OK, that's a surprise to me.  Who? (and that isn't a pun).
Dr. Strange. ("Time Lord" being someone who can manipulate time.)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Draconic Aiur

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on June 02, 2018, 03:41:29 AM
The Darkest Hour.

8/10
I was impressed with the film also.  I ended up buying two more films about that time period from Amazon, one about Eisenhower and the planning for D Day, and other similar biography about Churchill.  They were all interesting.  I'm sure somewhat Hollywooded up, but what are you gonna do?

SGOS

Years ago, I watched a documentary about the end of WWII.  There was the footage of the Axis and Allied leaders coming together to sign the official surrender document.  It was on a naval ship if I remember it right.  So I'm sitting their wondering if it's going to be like Microsoft signing a cooperative agreement with the Trump Administration where the combined efforts of the two agencies come together with a new plan for fucking the public, all finalized with a shaking of hands and smiling for the media.

What is the proper protocol for treating a fallen foe?  Do you treat him with respect and dignity praising his valor in battle and then welcome into something like a new alliance for peace?  Do you do this when he has slaughtered millions of innocents in gas chambers, and tried to violently take over the world?

Apparently you don't.  The Axis leaders were dressed in their best pressed uniforms and gave Eisenhower a formal unified military salute.  I remember them crisply clicking their heels together as a show of military decorum, but I may just be adding that, because it wouldn't have surprised me.  How did Eisenhower respond?  He just ignored them and proceeded to the next step with an air of "Go fuck yourself, Jerk Offs."  And then they led the Axis signers of this important document off to their pre-trail holding cells at Nuremburg.  Well, I guess that's what happened next.

We don't seem to end wars like that anymore.  We just kind of run out of steam and go home.  But still declare some sort of victory none-the-less.

Baruch

We have been at war (the Anglo-American Empire) since 1939.  The US was already fighting indirectly in Europe and China before 1941.  The war never ended ... nor did the Deep State created to fight it ... the Cold War was WW II 2.0.  Post-Soviet times are WW II 3.0.  The OSS became the CIA etc.

WW I never ended, there was only an armistice with Germany ...

Specifically, on the battleship USS Missouri, that is Gen McArthur accepting the Japanese surrender.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EqRTWMVqMY

Gen McArthur became ViceRoy of a sovereign nation until the Korean War.  Something no other American has ever done, though Gen Patton had temporary power like that at the end of WW II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4O3RKOVFMQ

The US still occupies Japan and the Korean War never ended (armistice) ... Trump is trying to end it ...

Both Japan and Germany committed war crimes (as did the Soviets, the US and GB).  Gen Eisenhower and Gen Patton toured the death camps in Germany after their liberation (March 1945), before the surrender of Germany in May 1945.  Eisenhower was disgusted by it, as McArthur was disgusted by the breakdown of Japanese Army discipline in Manila when it was about to fall the the US.  Both considered senior military leadership responsible for the discipline of their troops.

German soldiers in general were always well dressed ... their uniforms are tailored, not just government issue one size fits all.  McArthur was famous for his informal dress, but Patton was the opposite ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv9XNFpRdhg

Here is the actual films on the German surrender ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvwU2ni1NGw

Part of the rhetoric is that until it was apparent that it couldn't happen, both Axis governments expected negotiations ... not unconditional surrender as FDR had insisted on imposing on Churchill and Stalin.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Deadpool 2

I thought it was good. If you like the first one, you'll probably like this one too. It does repeat some of the same gags, though. While the repeated jokes do work as a callback to the first film, they also make the film feel a bit less original. The first film was pretty daring with for a comic book movie, so when the sequel starts to feel formulaic, that kinda makes it less impactful than the first one. There are plenty of good moments to make up for that, though. No spoilers, but one of the things the trailer hypes up just completely falls flat in the film, and you just know they did that on purpose. lol. There is one end-credits scene this time, so when it feels done, it's done. Don't bother waiting through all the credits this time.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on June 02, 2018, 09:37:58 AM
I was impressed with the film also.  I ended up buying two more films about that time period from Amazon, one about Eisenhower and the planning for D Day, and other similar biography about Churchill.  They were all interesting.  I'm sure somewhat Hollywooded up, but what are you gonna do?
You should check out "The Gathering Storm" and "Into the Storm", both available at Amazon. I got them for my birthday this year.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on June 02, 2018, 10:02:26 AM
Years ago, I watched a documentary about the end of WWII.  There was the footage of the Axis and Allied leaders coming together to sign the official surrender document.  It was on a naval ship if I remember it right.  So I'm sitting their wondering if it's going to be like Microsoft signing a cooperative agreement with the Trump Administration where the combined efforts of the two agencies come together with a new plan for fucking the public, all finalized with a shaking of hands and smiling for the media.

What is the proper protocol for treating a fallen foe?  Do you treat him with respect and dignity praising his valor in battle and then welcome into something like a new alliance for peace?  Do you do this when he has slaughtered millions of innocents in gas chambers, and tried to violently take over the world?

Apparently you don't.  The Axis leaders were dressed in their best pressed uniforms and gave Eisenhower a formal unified military salute.  I remember them crisply clicking their heels together as a show of military decorum, but I may just be adding that, because it wouldn't have surprised me.  How did Eisenhower respond?  He just ignored them and proceeded to the next step with an air of "Go fuck yourself, Jerk Offs."  And then they led the Axis signers of this important document off to their pre-trail holding cells at Nuremburg.  Well, I guess that's what happened next.

We don't seem to end wars like that anymore.  We just kind of run out of steam and go home.  But still declare some sort of victory none-the-less.
The Japanese surrendered on board USS Missouri, the Germans met senior Allied leaders on land. Sounds like the video was sexed-up a bit.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 02, 2018, 12:09:17 PM
You should check out "The Gathering Storm" and "Into the Storm", both available at Amazon. I got them for my birthday this year.

Churchill's Secret 2016 ... later life of Churchill included.  Stroke, senility the second time he was PM ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.