News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 07, 2018, 05:33:07 PM
[spoiler]It's the smart way to do things.  What kind of idiot would risk death in combat??  The drones aren't quite as good as manned spacecraft, but quantity has a quality all its own.  Plus, when you lose a battle, all you have to replace are the ships.

That sort of thinking is exactly why they needed the Guardians to guard the harbulary batteries.[/spoiler]

That's not what they are called!
:p
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 08, 2018, 10:56:53 AM
That's not what they are called!
:p
Yeah, but it's more fun to call them that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 07, 2018, 06:23:21 AM
Watched guardians of the galaxy vol. 2
I liked it. 1 was better though.
But baby groot was adorable as hell.

Please forgive me, but I hated Groot in the original and more as a baby.  It's just that "I am Groot" got really old really fast in the first movie, and I can't imagine it much better in the 2nd.  Groot almost makes me think well of Jar Jar Bing.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 09, 2018, 02:43:19 AM
Please forgive me, but I hated Groot in the original and more as a baby.  It's just that "I am Groot" got really old really fast in the first movie, and I can't imagine it much better in the 2nd.  Groot almost makes me think well of Jar Jar Bing.

You make me think well of Jar Jar Bing ;-))  Actually I never disliked Jar Jar.  Most movies are aimed at a younger audience.  With baby Groot, maybe a very young age.  I am beginning to suspect that Teletubbies are scifi.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Saw Avengers infinity war:

[spoiler]Spoilers from here on. Wow.. just wow. This was something. This felt like the perfect combo of so many dishes all together, making a perfect meal in the end, but also leaving you hankering for more.

Josh Brolin as Thanos just stole the movie, he really is one of marvels best villains, and they captured him here so well. I mean he is slightly different to his comic book version, its like he actually had some emotion to him, even if what he was doing was insane and tyrannical. Infact his motivation based on a concept in his mind more then appeasing the embodiment of death, it was different, but they made it work here.

I was wondering, since they didn't establish mistress death in the cinematic universe, how they would pull this off, but while I would have liked seeing her as part of this, they still pulled this off, not with him trying to appease death itself, but doing what he did based on his own philosophy, that the universe is finite, and the only way to save it, is to cull the universe by half.
This itself made him a lot more compelling and grounded, because when you consider the nature of human beings, how when an animal species get to over populated, we as human being cull an animal species to protect others, this is exactly what Thanos did, he wasn't doing what he did based on some worship of death, but rather on his philosophy of how to protect the universe.

The movie was so good all though, from the beginning, when he kills Loki, it kind of made me laugh, in a dark way, since Tom Hiddleston as loki always steals the show, so him being killed in the opening scene so Thanos could be established was such a dark yet entertaining move by the writers.

And the ending, this being one of those movies when you come out saying 'oh yes, they went there', and now i'm looking at a lot of reviews about it, I can see the impact and surprise it had with people, fans of the movies, characters they've loved and watched, just being snuffed out. At the end, rocket is the only guardian of the galaxy left, the orignal avengers is all pretty much intact, Cap, Thor, Hulk, Ironman, Black Widow, though we don't know about hawkeye yet.
Spiderman and black panther dying, that was a daring move, given they just were presented to the MCU and now dead.

But, and this is where unlike fans of the movies who know nothing about the comics, as fans of the comics will know full well, the infinity war storyline from the comics, we've got a pretty good idea how this is going to play out.
In the comics, while Thanos was, like say, working to appease mistress death, and killing off half the known universe with a snap of his finger, so many elements in the original story play in this movie, and one key element that as in the comics became Thanos' downfall, was his underestimation of one person.

This is why in the end of the movie, Nebula survived, since as in the comics, her hatred for Thanos is so great, it became his downfall.

I think when the second part of this story comes about, she's going to be the one to undo and reverse everything Thanos has done, because killing it wouldn't be enough, she would use the infinity stones to reverse everything he did, shatter his dreams, before she either tried to kill him or does kill him.

The only question is, just who will survive this. Will it just be the ones who died when he snapped his fingers and they turned to dust, or will it be all the rest, like Loki, heimdall, the other asgardians, Gamora?

But yes, all in all, give this one a 9/10, guess my only real disappointments was knowing we won't get to see mistress death represented in the marvel universe, since this was the story that was meant to establish her. Oh well, maybe in the next one, we're see Adam Warlock made an appearance as the one to set in motion how the remaining characters set to undo what he did, or take revenge against Thanos.

also, the ending with nick fury, the beeper showing the captain marvel symbol, looks like she'd going to play a role, I think the next film will be the chance to give screen time to characters like this that just couldn't have with so many in the cast[/spoiler]
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on May 10, 2018, 02:45:19 PM
Saw Avengers infinity war:

[spoiler]Spoilers from here on. Wow.. just wow. This was something. This felt like the perfect combo of so many dishes all together, making a perfect meal in the end, but also leaving you hankering for more.

Josh Brolin as Thanos just stole the movie, he really is one of marvels best villains, and they captured him here so well. I mean he is slightly different to his comic book version, its like he actually had some emotion to him, even if what he was doing was insane and tyrannical. Infact his motivation based on a concept in his mind more then appeasing the embodiment of death, it was different, but they made it work here.

I was wondering, since they didn't establish mistress death in the cinematic universe, how they would pull this off, but while I would have liked seeing her as part of this, they still pulled this off, not with him trying to appease death itself, but doing what he did based on his own philosophy, that the universe is finite, and the only way to save it, is to cull the universe by half.
This itself made him a lot more compelling and grounded, because when you consider the nature of human beings, how when an animal species get to over populated, we as human being cull an animal species to protect others, this is exactly what Thanos did, he wasn't doing what he did based on some worship of death, but rather on his philosophy of how to protect the universe.

The movie was so good all though, from the beginning, when he kills Loki, it kind of made me laugh, in a dark way, since Tom Hiddleston as loki always steals the show, so him being killed in the opening scene so Thanos could be established was such a dark yet entertaining move by the writers.

And the ending, this being one of those movies when you come out saying 'oh yes, they went there', and now i'm looking at a lot of reviews about it, I can see the impact and surprise it had with people, fans of the movies, characters they've loved and watched, just being snuffed out. At the end, rocket is the only guardian of the galaxy left, the orignal avengers is all pretty much intact, Cap, Thor, Hulk, Ironman, Black Widow, though we don't know about hawkeye yet.
Spiderman and black panther dying, that was a daring move, given they just were presented to the MCU and now dead.

But, and this is where unlike fans of the movies who know nothing about the comics, as fans of the comics will know full well, the infinity war storyline from the comics, we've got a pretty good idea how this is going to play out.
In the comics, while Thanos was, like say, working to appease mistress death, and killing off half the known universe with a snap of his finger, so many elements in the original story play in this movie, and one key element that as in the comics became Thanos' downfall, was his underestimation of one person.

This is why in the end of the movie, Nebula survived, since as in the comics, her hatred for Thanos is so great, it became his downfall.

I think when the second part of this story comes about, she's going to be the one to undo and reverse everything Thanos has done, because killing it wouldn't be enough, she would use the infinity stones to reverse everything he did, shatter his dreams, before she either tried to kill him or does kill him.

The only question is, just who will survive this. Will it just be the ones who died when he snapped his fingers and they turned to dust, or will it be all the rest, like Loki, heimdall, the other asgardians, Gamora?

But yes, all in all, give this one a 9/10, guess my only real disappointments was knowing we won't get to see mistress death represented in the marvel universe, since this was the story that was meant to establish her. Oh well, maybe in the next one, we're see Adam Warlock made an appearance as the one to set in motion how the remaining characters set to undo what he did, or take revenge against Thanos.

also, the ending with nick fury, the beeper showing the captain marvel symbol, looks like she'd going to play a role, I think the next film will be the chance to give screen time to characters like this that just couldn't have with so many in the cast[/spoiler]
[spoiler]1) I will eat half my hat if Mistress Death doesn't make an appearance in part 2.  I also practically guarantee Captain Marvel and Adam Warlock will make an appearance as well.

2) I don't get why so many people take Thanos's word as gospel.  That's just what he told Tony Stark and company.  Sure, Thanos is normally a pretty straight shooter, but he most definitely can (and does) lie from time to time.  If he revealed his death worship, no one would be on his side.  But by portraying himself as a sorrowful reaper in a sea of weeds, he earns sympathy points and perhaps a slight amount of hesitation - albeit more from the fandom than the characters in the movie.  You'd be surprised by the number of people who bought into into this BS hook, line, and sinker.  Genocide on a scale that surpasses Hitler is apparently okay to these people.

3) Yep, Rocket is the sole surviving Guardians of the Galaxy.  RIP.  I struggled to not cry when Groot went to the mulch pit in the sky.

4) Yes, Nebula will reverse their fortunes, but not before Cap, Iron Man, and the Hulk have epic moments confronting the mad titan and failing.

5) Who will stay dead?  Heimdall.  Loki as played by Hiddleston (someone else will play him from here on out).  And the original avengers will sacrifice themselves to reset the clock.  Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow, and Hawkeye will die permanently to revive those who have been dusted.  Think of it as them passing on the torch to the next generation.

So sayeth the bey.[/spoiler]

Munch

[spoiler]

1: I kinda doubt mistress death will show up, it seems marvels intent on not showing her, since they had every chance to so far, and with deadpool. Just have to accept the awesome love triangle between death, deadpool and thanos won't occur in the MCU. Also I think they've now said Adam Warlock won't be appearing in the sequal, so he won't play any role in what comes next, if at all.

2: There is this weird gospel floating around of people making out like thanos is the hero of this story. I'll give it, he is an exceptionally well developed character in the MCU and is up there with me on the same level as Magneto, but just like magneto, just because their intentions can make sense, doesn't make them good guys or their plans anything less then insane and tyrannical.

3: Yeah, that and spideys death. Though I did kind of laugh to, since we know their not just gonna perma off tom holland as spiderman after 1 movie. And you can't have a guardians of the galaxy 3 with just rocket.

4: That might be the outcome, yeah. Some people have theorizing why dr strange made sure tony lived by giving up the time stone for his life, is because he saw a future where him living is what ensures their victory, and that tony will be the one to wield the gauntlet... I seriously don't want this to happen, since they've already built up ironman as the godfather already, we don't need him also wielding the infinity stones.

5: If the next generation would turn out to be sjw marvel generation, I'm out.[/spoiler]

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on May 10, 2018, 09:10:41 PM
[spoiler]4: That might be the outcome, yeah. Some people have theorizing why dr strange made sure tony lived by giving up the time stone for his life, is because he saw a future where him living is what ensures their victory, and that tony will be the one to wield the gauntlet... I seriously don't want this to happen, since they've already built up ironman as the godfather already, we don't need him also wielding the infinity stones.

5: If the next generation would turn out to be sjw marvel generation, I'm out.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]4) Iron Man isn't going to wield the gauntlet, but he is going to figure out how to outplay Thanos.  Plus, he's going to set up the Illuminati to hide the gems after Thanos' defeat.

5) It just means the original avengers cast won't have any more movies for a while and instead we'll see more of Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, Spider-Man, Black Panther, etc.  It makes sense for Marvel to take a few pots off their already overcrowded stove.  Plus, the actors are looking to peace out of their roles.  We might see them again in cameos or flashbacks, but they've effectively ended their run.[/spoiler]

Munch

know whats weird about Avengers -

[spoiler]They killed off so many in the end I forgot some of the ones who were killed. Gonna try a list them without looking online.

Loki, heimdall, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Draks, Gamora, Groot, Spiderman, Nick Fury, Dr Strange, Falcon, winter soldier, I think black panther, urm.. thats all I can think.
I know cap, ironman, hulk, Rocket survived.. I think black window? Did she? And think hawkeye but he wasn't around.

Thats what happenes when you kill so many characters at once, it becomes novelty if you can remember all the ones who did die. [/spoiler]

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on May 09, 2018, 02:43:19 AM
Boss Lady loves him.

Seems like everybody could speak Tree by the second movie.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 22, 2018, 01:57:07 PM
Boss Lady loves him.

Seems like everybody could speak Tree by the second movie.
It's like Chewbacca.  The longer you're around him, the more what he's saying becomes intelligible to you.  Groot doesn't say different words, you just pick up on the inflection for meaning.  Also, telepaths and mad geniuses know what he's saying right away.

Hydra009

Deadpool 2  8/10

Is it better than the original?  Imo, close but not quite.  The original had such great lines and had a great sense of novelty - I came into that with no idea what to expect and I was blown away.  The sequel was kinda predictable (there's a lot of callbacks and retreads of previous stuff) but it was pretty funny - one of the few times I've guffawed out loud in theaters.

Also, if you haven't seen it already, you might want to see Logan before going to see Deadpool 2.  Huge spoilers for Logan!

There's a mid-credits scene but no post-credits scene, so there's no need to stick around till the very end.  Between this and Infinity War, Marvel's been holding out on me.  Daddy needs his fix!

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on May 22, 2018, 01:42:01 PM
know whats weird about Avengers -

[spoiler]They killed off so many in the end I forgot some of the ones who were killed. Gonna try a list them without looking online.

Loki, heimdall, Vision, Scarlet Witch, Draks, Gamora, Groot, Spiderman, Nick Fury, Dr Strange, Falcon, winter soldier, I think black panther, urm.. thats all I can think.
I know cap, ironman, hulk, Rocket survived.. I think black window? Did she? And think hawkeye but he wasn't around.

Thats what happenes when you kill so many characters at once, it becomes novelty if you can remember all the ones who did die. [/spoiler]

It will all a bad dream in another universe.   Unless DC bought Marvel...  LOL!

But by any definition, those deaths can't last.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 25, 2018, 02:57:20 PM
It will all a bad dream in another universe.   Unless DC bought Marvel...  LOL!

But by any definition, those deaths can't last.

Well no not when there's a cash cow to be made

caseagainstfaith

Solo:  I enjoyed it.  It's fine.  I pretty much forgot it already.  It is strange for a Star Wars movie to have virtually no Force, Jedi, lightsabers.  But maybe not quite completely none....
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.