Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on April 10, 2018, 08:29:22 PM
A Quiet Place.  7.5/10
Some things about the story don't seem to hold up to scrutiny.
That's the feeling I had.  Maybe I blanked out for a few seconds, but all of a sudden the house started to flood.  OK, it was raining outside, but houses are built for that.  Now the basement is filling up, and people might be drowned or forced out to face the monsters.  Where was that much water coming from?  Outside, nothing was flooding.  It was just raining.   I said to myself, "Don't dwell on it.  It's a horror story.  Just go with it."  LOL

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on April 11, 2018, 05:35:15 AM
That's the feeling I had.  Maybe I blanked out for a few seconds, but all of a sudden the house started to flood.  OK, it was raining outside, but houses are built for that.  Now the basement is filling up, and people might be drowned or forced out to face the monsters.  Where was that much water coming from?  Outside, nothing was flooding.  It was just raining.   I said to myself, "Don't dwell on it.  It's a horror story.  Just go with it."  LOL

In the original Sumerian version of the Flood, waters come up from below, as we all as down from above.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on April 05, 2018, 03:04:37 AM
That seems a bit over enthusiastic.  Were you on something when you watched it?  That's how I reacted to Dr. Strange after I had a shot of Dexamethasone.

Oh do I wish, LOL!  But I've stayed off of everything but wine and cigs since college.  And lest you think I disapprove of other stuff, if cannabis comes to MD legally, I will be there in line. for the brownies.  I am just habitually legal in my old age...  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

@Cavebear

You mentioned once that you could not find anyplace to rent Dr. Strange and hadn't seen it.  This week it finally showed up at Redbox.  It might be available at other sources now, since I doubt that Redbox has any special exclusive rights.

Hydra009

Isle of Dogs.  Bad movie, bad.  *rolls up newspaper*  1 milk bone out of 17.

I liked the art style.  That's literally the only good thing I can say about this movie.

First off, there's this really annoying, bombastic drumbeat all throughout the movie.  And while that worked in Dunkirk, it doesn't work for a boy-and-his-dog story.  This artificial tension utterly smothers the mood of otherwise touching scenes.

Secondly, everyone either whispers or screams their lines.  Given the bombastic drumline, the sound in this movie is deeply unpleasant.  Oh, and I hope you're fluent in Japanese, because a lot of it is untranslated.

The characters are either forgettable or unlikable.  And the plot is more anvilicious and black-and-white than the old Captain Planet cartoons.  The writing was absolutely dreadful.  Put it this way, it looks like something that Jerry from Rick and Morty would write.

The pacing was off, too.  It was simultaneously rushed and boring.  You don't get a chance to take everything in.  After the movie, I remarked, "It's like they're afraid of silence."

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 17, 2018, 10:58:42 AM
Secondly, everyone either whispers or screams their lines.  Given the bombastic drumline, the sound in this movie is deeply unpleasant.  Oh, and I hope you're fluent in Japanese, because a lot of it is untranslated.

The characters are flat and unlikable.  And the plot is more anvilicious and black-and-white than the old Captain Planet cartoons.  The writing was absolutely dreadful.  Put it this way, it looks like something that Jerry from Rick and Morty would write.

The pacing was off, too.  It was simultaneously rushed and boring.  You don't get a chance to take everything in.  After the movie, I remarked, "It's like they're afraid of silence."
These observations could apply to Wes Anderson's recent movies, Moonrise Kingdom and Grand Budapest Hotel as well.  I have seen some of his other movies, but they weren't important enough for me to remember.  I'm pretty sure delivery of actors lines, flat and stilted characters, and odd pacing, are intentional.  You really have to go out of your way to direct an actor to portray such flaccid characters.  So I'm pretty sure the other qualities were intentional too.

I started noticing Anderson with Moonrise Kingdom.  I take an interest in offbeat movies that are weird, but the characters have to be totally harmless weird, not dangerous or perverted.  Evil is OK as long as it laughable.  I liked Moonrise, Budapest, and Dogs because of that, along with rest of Anderson's cinematic shenanigans.  Anderson is an odd duck with strange goals, and I find myself wondering what he's doing half the time, and I have no answers.  I think he's just being weird.  Another thing I wondered over when I've watched these three movies, is, "What on Earth appeals to me here to keep me coming back?"  I can't answer that either.  I'd give the three movies, a collective 7/10, just based on the movie experience for myself.  If I had to score content, character development, and script, it would be a 3 or 4.  If I had to explain the purpose of the movie, I would abstain.  I don't know if there is purpose.

Anderson isn't going to appeal to everyone.  Saying he's an acquired taste would sound snobbish.  If he is an acquired taste, no one would be better off for acquiring such a taste.  It's not like I believe there is anything profound under all the gibberish.  I don't think there is.  I don't think any of it means anything when it comes right down to it.  It's just a strange and unreal experience.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 10, 2013, 01:37:48 AM
NOOOO!!!

I wanted to like the new Oz film.  Don't tell me it's crappy!   <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( -->

Well, I will watch the original "The Wiz"...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

The Commuter 7/10
I would have scored it higher, but I've seen a lot of similar train movies, so the concept seemed a bit worn.  It will keep most people's interest, I think.  There's a lot of guessing and tension and surprises.  One scene near the end is especially well done, but I think a hint would spoil it.

Shiranu

Bridge of Spies - 9.7/10. Really great film, made more interesting by the fact it's based on a true story.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Avengers Infinity War 7/10

Worth seeing.  There were some good funny lines between the action.  And the introduction to the characters happens throughout the film in unexpected ways.  The plot was a bit thin, basically, "Kill Thanos," and not much more.  The 3D was especially well done (Marvel is good at this).  There were several objects that came zipping out, and made me blink.  One scene had swirly snow with tiny flakes that seemed right in front of my face.  There was too much action for me, and the boss fight at the end took forever, as all the stars had to get into the fight, sometimes one at a time, sometimes in small groups.  The action reminded me of one of the later Transformers movies, with excessive use of bash and crunch.

My 7/10 was influenced partly because I couldn't wait to see it and broke my rule about waiting for the midweek matinee.  The theater was crowded but polite.  However, a guy with horribly sour body odor was sitting some place around me, making me wish the movie would end.  I didn't wait for the teaser during the end of the credits.  I was the first one out, and the lights were still dimmed.  That may influence my rating, but I tried to factor that out.  I'll be looking forward to the DVD and watching it a home.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on April 17, 2018, 08:28:44 AM
@Cavebear

You mentioned once that you could not find anyplace to rent Dr. Strange and hadn't seen it.  This week it finally showed up at Redbox.  It might be available at other sources now, since I doubt that Redbox has any special exclusive rights.
I actually had to check the date on that post, we've had a copy of Dr. Strange for months now.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Infinity War was awesome. It's incredibly dark (might as well have called it Everybody Dies: The Movie), yet it was also hilarious and full of badass moments. It's funny. Everyone was saying, "They won't have the balls to do the comics justice." But nope. They took a ton of risks. I'm not sure it's the kind of movie I'd recommend taking a young kid too, though. They might leave the theater crying.

[Spoiler=SGOS]Three interesting things happened in the credits. Instead of saying "The Avengers will return" like they usually do, they had the message "Thanos will return."

The first time it gets quiet, the title "Avengers: Infinity War" appears and turns to ash. There was a massive groan followed by laughter in the audience. It seemed like a joke because everyone was expecting an after credits scene there.

There is an actual after credits scene later, though. Nick Fury is driving in the city when a van nearly crashes into him.  He steps out and finds no one in the vehicle. There's a helicopter flying by, and you can see the ashes of the pilot float away, and the helicopter crashes into a building. The other Shield agent Nick is with turns to ash, and Nick hurries to the back of his car to find what looks like a digital beeper. Then Nick turns to ash as he says, "Mother fu--." The beeper falls to the ground, indicates that it's sending a message, then it gives Captain Marvel's logo.[/spoiler]
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on April 28, 2018, 09:38:32 AM
I'm not sure it's the kind of movie I'd recommend taking a young kid too, though. They might leave the theater crying.
[Spoiler=Blackleaf]Three interesting things happened in the credits. Instead of saying "The Avengers will return" like they usually do, they had the message "Thanos will return."
[/spoiler]
Spoiler to your spoiler:
[spoiler=SGOS ]Those dirty Marvel buggers!  Well there still could be another Dr. Strange or Ironman film before the Marvel Universe collapses altogether, and the last after credits teaser is nothing but an announcement from Stan Lee laughing, "Kiss off, Suckers!"[/spoiler]