News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Justice League 8/10

According to Wiki, It was one of most expensive films ever made.  It got poor reviews by RT (40%).  There was a good turnout at the box office, but because the film was so expensive, it actually lost money.  That it came on the heels of Suicide Squad, probably didn't help either, as the movie was a major turn off for super hero fans, and it put DC on everyone's shit list.  I either didn't bother to see it at the theater, probably because of the bad reviews, or I fell asleep early on.  But it's actually a pretty good movie.

Wiki says Warner Bros hired Joss Whedon to direct his own re-write segments during shooting, a brilliant move IMO, and then hired him to take over the direction full time when the director had to leave, another brilliant move,  but the original director got the full credit, while Whedon got credit for scripting.  Whedon is a genius in my book.  While watching the DVD, I kept thinking, "This isn't as bad as I remember a lot of DC films.  It's got some good humor mixed in with the action," and later when reading about it, I realized it must have been the Whedon touch that I liked.  But the lighter touch, also got mixed reviews.  Apparently some critics like the usually darker DC format, but from what I read that's about a 50-50 split.

Gawdzilla Sama

I had trouble with "BvS: Dawn of Justice". That fight was never, ever, going to be equal.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 22, 2018, 11:28:53 AM
I had trouble with "BvS: Dawn of Justice". That fight was never, ever, going to be equal.
Yeah, that was a head scratcher.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on March 22, 2018, 11:41:43 AM
Yeah, that was a head scratcher.

1. Superman grabs Batman and zooms to the top of Mt. Everest. Dr. Strange isn't there any more, Brucie freezes to death.

2. Superman grabs Batman and ties him to a benthic black smoker. Scientists centuries later are puzzled by the bones.

3. Superman stomps Brucie like a bug.

None of these scenarios work out well for the petulant billionaire.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Batman Vs Superman as a title, implies more than is actually there.  I think the title was put there to get people to the theater so see what DC Comics had up their sleeve by scripting such an unequal main event. 

Spoiler
It was actually a rivalry between the two orchestrated by Lex Luthor Jr..  In the end, they stood side by side to defeat the alien brought back to life by Lex, and Superman died from a self-sacrifice by self inflicted kryptonite exposure needed to kill the alien boss.  He was not killed by Batman, although the two did duke it out before they understood that they were being manipulated.

I watched it again because there were things I needed to make sense out of to understand better The Justice League.  I liked it much more the second time because I could understand how Dawn of Justice was setting things up for the next film.

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 22, 2018, 11:53:29 AM
1. Superman grabs Batman and zooms to the top of Mt. Everest. Dr. Strange isn't there any more, Brucie freezes to death.

2. Superman grabs Batman and ties him to a benthic black smoker. Scientists centuries later are puzzled by the bones.

3. Superman stomps Brucie like a bug.

None of these scenarios work out well for the petulant billionaire.

Since Superman doesn't kill, none of those happen. Also, since Bruce has Kryptonite, they can't happen. The only way Superman can realistically beat Batman is by killing him, but then he is no longer Superman.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on March 23, 2018, 07:47:42 PM
Since Superman doesn't kill, none of those happen. Also, since Bruce has Kryptonite, they can't happen. The only way Superman can realistically beat Batman is by killing him, but then he is no longer Superman.

can tell what side you were on in that who vs who trend when it came out. But superman has one means to beat batman.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

He could take Batman back in time and then accuse him of witchcraft, thus sentencing him to death.

The 60s was a strange time for everyone.

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on March 23, 2018, 08:28:04 PM
can tell what side you were on in that who vs who trend when it came out. But superman has one means to beat batman.

I've never liked superman, he is basically one punch man but not self aware of it, so it was pretty easy to pick sides.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Superman has killed.
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 23, 2018, 08:48:44 PM
Superman has killed.

And subsequently is rebooted.

Superman's "thing" is he doesn't kill. Once he kills, he is no longer "Superman", and has to be refreshed not far down the line. It's like saying you are a virgin, but you had sex a few times. Once you stick it in, you ain't no virgin anymore and once you kill you ain't no Superman.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on March 23, 2018, 11:33:37 PM
And subsequently is rebooted.

Superman's "thing" is he doesn't kill. Once he kills, he is no longer "Superman", and has to be refreshed not far down the line. It's like saying you are a virgin, but you had sex a few times. Once you stick it in, you ain't no virgin anymore and once you kill you ain't no Superman.

I'm talking about his battle with Zod in a recent  movie, not a comic book.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 24, 2018, 09:01:37 AM

Great, an argument about what is "canon" in comics and comic movies!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

"... but the world is a better place, measurably, because Star Wars exists in it."

<3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVZGUV77aRg

Shiranu

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 24, 2018, 09:01:37 AM

Fair play, I would say the Superman in the movies is not the same character as older movie and comic Superman. However Zod was also, undeniably, a villain. There is wiggle room there verses killing a recognized hero. That goes from slip-of-character to outright 180 character reversal.

I just don't buy the Superman killing Batman idea because it is, even by comic book standards, completely unbelievable.