News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 17, 2018, 02:59:07 AM
I just saw "Annihilation" and thought it was an effective sci-fi thriller with some deep psychological themes. The visual effects were immersive and I liked how the use of different mediums to distort the light (the glass of water, the Shimmer, the quarantine curtains) added to the scenes. The music and sound amplified the sense of disorientation and dread. I particularly liked the cancer parallels and how the inherent self-destructive behavior of human beings, both psychological and biological, was incorporated by the alien.
I just saw Wrinkle in Time.  It bored me so much that I got up and left somewhere around the middle, but that is irrelevant.  There was one special effect that reminded me of the Annihilation shimmer for some reason.  It was a visual representation of the actual wrinkle in time that you can pass through.  Since it's visual, it can really only be represented spatially, but since it's "space-time" that works for me: 

You are looking at the back yard or the trees and the image starts to get wavy, then more and more wavy until a wrinkle appears.  You can still see the yard and the trees just fine, but you can watch a person walk through the wrinkle and disappear.  I thought that part was very cool, as were the alien landscapes, but not enough to get me through what passes for the plot, but I can see the interest in it for children, however.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 17, 2018, 02:59:07 AM
I just saw "Annihilation" and thought it was an effective sci-fi thriller with some deep psychological themes. The visual effects were immersive and I liked how the use of different mediums to distort the light (the glass of water, the Shimmer, the quarantine curtains) added to the scenes. The music and sound amplified the sense of disorientation and dread. I particularly liked the cancer parallels and how the inherent self-destructive behavior of human beings, both psychological and biological, was incorporated by the alien.
Did you get the message behind the hug?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on March 17, 2018, 07:18:54 AM
I just saw Wrinkle in Time.  It bored me so much that I got up and left somewhere around the middle, but that is irrelevant.  There was one special effect that reminded me of the Annihilation shimmer for some reason.  It was a visual representation of the actual wrinkle in time that you can pass through.  Since it's visual, it can really only be represented spatially, but since it's "space-time" that works for me: 

You are looking at the back yard or the trees and the image starts to get wavy, then more and more wavy until a wrinkle appears.  You can still see the yard and the trees just fine, but you can watch a person walk through the wrinkle and disappear.  I thought that part was very cool, as were the alien landscapes, but not enough to get me through what passes for the plot, but I can see the interest in it for children, however.
Yeah, but twas brillig?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on March 17, 2018, 07:32:43 AM
More like 1:00 PM.
Ah, you got the one with left-handed threads. We were looking for it.
PZ Myers

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 17, 2018, 07:40:43 AM
I thought I was keeping up with you, but now I'm lost.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 17, 2018, 07:23:11 AM
Did you get the message behind the hug?

SPOILERS!!!

We may not have got the same message because I think the ending is intentionally ambiguous. The way I interpreted the ending is in the lighthouse the alien takes a drop of Lena's blood and duplicates her. When she is fighting the doppelganger she is fighting herself, both psychologically (by blocking the door Lena literally gets in her own way) and physically, just like cancer is one's own cells. I don't think the alien even has a consciousness of its own, it's like an agent of chaos. When the doppelganger crushes her against the door there became two Lenas, neither the same person who went into the Shimmer. One survives and returns to the world, driven by the desire to return to her husband, and one, after touching Kane who killed himself, crawls back down into the hole and similarly annihilates itself in fire. The woman being interrogated at the end isn't the original Lena, which is made apparent by Anya's infinity tattoo now on her arm and the shimmer in her eyes. Lena and Kane's marriage was annihilated by Lena's infidelity and even though they are reunited at the end, which would normally be the "happy ending" of an action film, they are literally not the same people, Kane destroyed and Lena transformed, which makes the conclusion tragic and ominous.

SGOS

I'm looking forward to the DVD, because I totally missed the hug part.  But I'm pretty sure the ending was intentionally ambiguous. 

Sal1981

Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs 2 - 7/10

A good story about facing idolism and alive food.

GSOgymrat

Quote from: SGOS on March 17, 2018, 07:18:54 AM

I was planning on seeing "A Wrinkle in Time" because I loved the book as a child but having read some feedback similar to yours I'm going to pass.

aitm

Even though it looked somewhat lame...
Even though it looked somewhat tame...
Even though it looked a little  boring.......
Even though it looked I might be snoring.....
Even though the plot looked a mite thin....
Even though the idea couldn't win...
I watched "Downsizing"...
I was right.......
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 17, 2018, 01:48:05 PM
I was planning on seeing "A Wrinkle in Time" because I loved the book as a child but having read some feedback similar to yours I'm going to pass.
It might be a case where the book was better.  I never read it, but it was very popular among young kids.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 17, 2018, 12:22:53 PM
SPOILERS!!!

We may not have got the same message because I think the ending is intentionally ambiguous. The way I interpreted the ending is in the lighthouse the alien takes a drop of Lena's blood and duplicates her. When she is fighting the doppelganger she is fighting herself, both psychologically (by blocking the door Lena literally gets in her own way) and physically, just like cancer is one's own cells. I don't think the alien even has a consciousness of its own, it's like an agent of chaos. When the doppelganger crushes her against the door there became two Lenas, neither the same person who went into the Shimmer. One survives and returns to the world, driven by the desire to return to her husband, and one, after touching Kane who killed himself, crawls back down into the hole and similarly annihilates itself in fire. The woman being interrogated at the end isn't the original Lena, which is made apparent by Anya's infinity tattoo now on her arm and the shimmer in her eyes. Lena and Kane's marriage was annihilated by Lena's infidelity and even though they are reunited at the end, which would normally be the "happy ending" of an action film, they are literally not the same people, Kane destroyed and Lena transformed, which makes the conclusion tragic and ominous.
I'm told the point of the hug was to remind us that this is a trilogy. And we know all great trilogies come in threes.
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 17, 2018, 07:40:43 AM

Are you, by any chance, talking about something like a left handed smoke shifter or a left-handed monkey wrench?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 17, 2018, 07:24:11 AM
Yeah, but twas brillig?

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son".  In high school, I wrote a paper analyzing the word structure of Lewis Carroll's word there.  In spite  of the linguistic nonsense (and I argued "because of it"), he could not escape the noun and verb structures that we recognize.

THAT got me an additional 20 page assignment to explore the subject more deeply for extra credit.  And I was very work and deadline-averse at the time (and typing was a painful experience), so I declined.  But I wrote it for my own satisfaction later.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!