News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

I watched the clips, and a review of In This Corner of the World, and it is wonderful anime.

I also ran across The Death Of Stalin ... a comedy about the de-Stalinization of the Soviet Union ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yftXEqZnBo0

I think it is a good reminder for those of us who have a love of totalitarian systems ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Just watched, "Darkest Hour".

Certainly see why Oldman won an Oscar for it, great film all around. I know hindsight is very strong, and certainly I understand following WW1 how they would not want to get involved, but the fact that anyone thought you could "appease" Hitler still seems incredibly naive.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on March 14, 2018, 05:07:04 AM
Just watched, "Darkest Hour".

Certainly see why Oldman won an Oscar for it, great film all around. I know hindsight is very strong, and certainly I understand following WW1 how they would not want to get involved, but the fact that anyone thought you could "appease" Hitler still seems incredibly naive.
Even though I understand the temptation of hindsight and how it fosters a sense of self-righteous superiority, every time I think about Chamberlain, and the "alleged" isolationism of the US, I think to myself, "How could you be so stupid?"  At the same time, when I think about Hitler occupying Poland, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, Netherlands, France, Yugoslavia, and Greece, while still invading the rest of Europe to the west and Russia to the east, I think to myself, "How could you be so stupid?"   Granted a lot of those countries were easy walkovers, but the manpower to occupy that much area while actively invading more seems daunting.  Were there even enough men in Germany to pull that off for more than a couple years?  Hitler was a powerful military force, but I'm convinced he was also a delusional nincompoop.  How could he rise to power?  On the other hand, we have Donald Trump, also a delusional nincompoop.  Sanity and good judgment are not required to gain power.  But it takes more than that.  Citizens are responsible for the messes they make, and I want to say, "We should all remember that," but I also know that we won't. 

Baruch

It is a convenient Nato fiction, that the German people had no responsibility for what happened, only the evil Nazis did.  Same with collaborators in the countries they occupied (Petain in France).  Similarly it is a convenient fiction that Emperor Hirohito was a passive captive of the Japanese MIC.   The US needed that fiction to keep up our defense relationship with Japan.

And Americans (GM in general and IBM in particular) assisted the Nazis all they way up until early 1942 (as multinational corporations).  The part that the Walker-Bush family played was minor compared to IBM (automating the German end of the Holocaust).  German efficiency and technology made it possible for them to kill more opponents, with fewer resources, than anyone else could have.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

The trailer for the second Fantastic Beasts movie is out. The movie shows Nov. 16.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on March 12, 2018, 06:21:25 PM
Yeah, it's a comedy/parody.  I enjoyed it three times so far, but it probably depends on your taste in humor.  Marvel makes an effort not to take Thor too seriously in the three stand alone movies, but not so much when he appears as an Avenger.  He makes humanlike mistakes, falls down, gets hit by cars, and often acts like a dufus.  The latest movie takes those qualities even further.  He has a very brief encounter with Dr. Strange that I'm looking forward to seeing again.  Dr. Strange treats him as kind of a clod, where Thor can't quite seem to hold his own, even though he tries.  It's not some sort of competition between the two.  I get the feeling they will always be friends, but with Dr. Strange playing a version of Abbot to Thor's Costello. 

And I think I'm falling in love with Cate Blanchett.

I think I may break an old rule about waiting for movies to show up free on cable.  I really want to watch Dr Strange, and then Thor: Ragnarok.  Not on the same day of course.  But if the University of Maryland women's basketball team loses early in NCAA, I might give them a day each.

I'm thinking Nachos Belle Grande and some good pepperoni pizza with Red Zinfandel to totally kill me for the weekend.   How does that sound?

Any one want to join me? 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on March 15, 2018, 03:39:18 PM
I think I may break an old rule about waiting for movies to show up free on cable.  I really want to watch Dr Strange, and then Thor: Ragnarok.  Not on the same day of course.  But if the University of Maryland women's basketball team loses early in NCAA, I might give them a day each.

I'm thinking Nachos Belle Grande and some good pepperoni pizza with Red Zinfandel to totally kill me for the weekend.   How does that sound?

Any one want to join me? 
My University of Montana is playing Michigan as I write this, but I don't have TV and I won't have to watch them get trounced.  I will check the score later this evening, or maybe it's better if I don't know.  That's really odd about Dr. Strange the way it never got streamed.

Edit:  I had the wrong time for the game.  It's not until later tonight.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on March 15, 2018, 05:04:02 PM
My University of Montana is playing Michigan as I write this, but I don't have TV and I won't have to watch them get trounced.  I will check the score later this evening, or maybe it's better if I don't know.  That's really odd about Dr. Strange the way it never got streamed.

Edit:  I had the wrong time for the game.  It's not until later tonight.

Good luck in the game.  The Univ of MD men really fell apart this year after a few starter injuries and they aren't even in it.  I'll be watching the U of MD womens team anyway.  They lost a couple starters but at 5th seed might cause trouble for the top teams. 

Munch

just gonna say, Thanos' design in avengers infinity is bloody awful.

He looks like a 90s remark of the California raisins.

When I think Thanos, this is what I imagine.

Theres a level of intimidation to his design I've always liked, power lust and a small degree of insanity and determination. its something about the face and makeup with this live action version that doesn't do it for me.

I think its just because he looks to human, like they just took a big guy and painted him and gave him a chin brace. Thanos in the comics is most certainly alien in design, his maniacal grin, size and personality all match together well, i just don't have that sense of intimidation with this take.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on March 16, 2018, 10:23:08 PMTheres a level of intimidation to his design I've always liked, power lust and a small degree of insanity and determination. its something about the face and makeup with this live action version that doesn't do it for me.

I think its just because he looks to human, like they just took a big guy and painted him and gave him a chin brace. Thanos in the comics is most certainly alien in design, his maniacal grin, size and personality all match together well, i just don't have that sense of intimidation with this take.
I agree, but at the same time, I understand the limitations of live action.  A live actor has got to play that role, and Eternity knows how much time the makeup alone takes.  Remember how terrible Apocalypse was?  That's why the costome's a bit toned down.

Also, let's not rush to conclusions from a single trailer.  I'm still holding out for his signature eye/fist glowing with energy combined with bared teeth.

Munch

Guess I'm just disappointed there's no sign of mistress death anywhere, who was integral to the reasons why he did what he did in the comics
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on March 16, 2018, 11:17:44 PM
Guess I'm just disappointed there's no sign of mistress death anywhere, who was integral to the reasons why he did what he did in the comics
I'm holding out for that, too.  That and the space castle.  Daddy needs his space castle.

GSOgymrat

I just saw "Annihilation" and thought it was an effective sci-fi thriller with some deep psychological themes. The visual effects were immersive and I liked how the use of different mediums to distort the light (the glass of water, the Shimmer, the quarantine curtains) added to the scenes. The music and sound amplified the sense of disorientation and dread. I particularly liked the cancer parallels and how the inherent self-destructive behavior of human beings, both psychological and biological, was incorporated by the alien.

Cavebear

Quote from: GSOgymrat on March 17, 2018, 02:59:07 AM
I just saw "Annihilation" and thought it was an effective sci-fi thriller with some deep psychological themes. The visual effects were immersive and I liked how the use of different mediums to distort the light (the glass of water, the Shimmer, the quarantine curtains) added to the scenes. The music and sound amplified the sense of disorientation and dread. I particularly liked the cancer parallels and how the inherent self-destructive behavior of human beings, both psychological and biological, was incorporated by the alien.

I think I may have to download some movies on cable.  I don't like to do that because I hate sitting for 3 hours.  But I am falling behind the cultural references...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 17, 2018, 03:34:00 AM
I think I may have to download some movies on cable.  I don't like to do that because I hate sitting for 3 hours.  But I am falling behind the cultural references...

You and me both.  The tendency for old people is ... to become obsolete.  Let the young folks be bleeding edge.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.