News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Black Pather  Two negative reviews out of 90, and the movie isn't even out yet.  Even then, the negatives are hardly scathing.

I got a kick out of this one:
Quote...this mega-budget Marvel marvel might be a misfire for anyone beyond the fan-base...
Beyond the fan-base?  Given the success of Marvel films, just what part of the general movie population even exists beyond the fan-base?

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 10, 2018, 09:18:00 AM

This shit drives me crazy.  Blade had a whole trilogy! (Also, Catwoman...but perhaps it'd be wise to forget about that)

Celebrating diversity = okay
Celebrating diversity by forgetting the past = not okay

It's millennials trying to get browny points
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 10, 2018, 09:18:00 AM

This shit drives me crazy.  Blade had a whole trilogy! (Also, Catwoman...but perhaps it'd be wise to forget about that)

Celebrating diversity = okay
Celebrating diversity by forgetting the past = not okay

I don't know if I would consider Blade a blockbuster though; to say that Blade and a current MCU are even remotely on the same level of cultural relevance is an extreme stretch.

The simple fact is that Black Panther is the first African American superhero film that is getting cross-cultural and cross-generational appeal unlike any before it. Likewise, Blade was rated R and thus meant only for adult audiences, whereas Black Panther is arguably meant for children of all ages. Finally, Blade was a mixed-success film whereas Black Panther by it's very nature is going to be a masterpiece (and thankfully is being backed up by being a quality film as well).

I would say Black Panther is the first relevant African American-lead superhero film to ever be created. I would also point out that while Blade stared an African American actor, it was other wise a "white" film; Black Panther on the other hand is almost entirely cast with African Americans and Africans, and there are almost zero white characters relevant to the plot (at best, they serve minor roles between the protagonist/antagonist plotline).

All in all, I would say it is a questionable statement at worst (Blade could arguably be classified as a blockbuster, but it's not an argument I would inherently agree with, since Blade's budget was about 20 million less on average than the major films that came out in 1998). I will agree with people who say argue it's not the first African American superhero (it's not), but it is certainly the first one of any real cultural relevance.

I don't think that's trying to gain brownie points, I think that's pointing out a simple reality. Black Panther is a 200 million dollar film. It is simply in a different economic, cultural, generational, artistic league from Blade.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

And unlike the Last Airbender movie, they aren't using an out of ethnic group actor in the prime role ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

For the Jewish among us the movie Hester Street is on YouTube, one of Carol Kane's best performances where there was none of her trademark zaniness, just a quiet immigrant woman playing the part of the traditional wife trying to fit in to a new life in NYC. Nice film of love and divorce around the turn of the 20th century.
In case anyone remembers Fiddler on the Roof Zvee Scooler is the rabi in both films..    it goes without saying you don't have to be Jewish to enjoy the film..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AllPurposeAtheist

If you're a fan of Scandinavian crime fiction films the streaming service MHz Choice has a bunch and also plenty of other European crime fiction, mostly Scandinavian, but there's Polish, German, Italian, French, etc.
For about $8 month there's plenty of full series.
Strange watching Scandinavian crime fiction one might be lead to think the Scandinavian countries are the most crime ridden places on earth.. I kind of doubt they are..

www.mhzchoice.com  worth the $8
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Baruch

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on February 12, 2018, 12:30:35 AM
For the Jewish among us the movie Hester Street is on YouTube, one of Carol Kane's best performances where there was none of her trademark zaniness, just a quiet immigrant woman playing the part of the traditional wife trying to fit in to a new life in NYC. Nice film of love and divorce around the turn of the 20th century.
In case anyone remembers Fiddler on the Roof Zvee Scooler is the rabi in both films..    it goes without saying you don't have to be Jewish to enjoy the film..

True.  So you are defending Al Jolson then?

A little ethnic humor from that actual time period/place ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsd7jUNY4vk
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

Regarding Armstrong: He spend hours in trainers doing that the maneuver that allowed him to pick his landing spot. Conspiracy nuts say that because he nearly died in a trainer prior to the launch it proves this couldn't be done. However, the lander simulator was an older model and Armstrong had hours in the new ones. His maneuver on the Moon was equivalent to his 100th carrier landing.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 12, 2018, 08:28:27 AM
Regarding Armstrong: He spend hours in trainers doing that the maneuver that allowed him to pick his landing spot. Conspiracy nuts say that because he nearly died in a trainer prior to the launch it proves this couldn't be done. However, the lander simulator was an older model and Armstrong had hours in the new ones. His maneuver on the Moon was equivalent to his 100th carrier landing.

There are bigger problems with moon landing scepticism.

https://youtu.be/zhp-FTYSGe8
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Unbeliever

God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 10, 2018, 10:19:42 AM
I can have sympathy.  With violation of fictional canon, it is like alternative history ... you are freed from the oppressive past.  We all want freedom (for ourselves, not for the other guy).  I am divided on the past ... and the future.  The present division induces that.

I bet it thuds...  I don't want it to, but I bet it will.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 12, 2018, 10:57:33 AM
There are bigger problems with moon landing scepticism.

https://youtu.be/zhp-FTYSGe8
Life's too short to watch unsummarized youtubes.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on February 13, 2018, 07:48:01 AM
Life's too short to watch unsummarized youtubes.

Ack!  I LIKE Adam.  Don't tell me he ruins the moon landing... 

Actually, today, it could be very well faked.  But not then.  We have to remember the technology differences between 1969 and today.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mike Cl

Quote from: Cavebear on February 13, 2018, 09:28:31 AM
Ack!  I LIKE Adam.  Don't tell me he ruins the moon landing... 

Actually, today, it could be very well faked.  But not then.  We have to remember the technology differences between 1969 and today.
Did not watch the video--but the title says he tells why the landing could not have been faked.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 13, 2018, 11:31:25 AM
Did not watch the video--but the title says he tells why the landing could not have been faked.
Actually, it was a better than average video, I thought.