News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on January 03, 2018, 05:30:25 PM
Yuck ... M Night Shyamalan meets Freddy Kruger?  I think the husband is Damien Part 666 meets Bates Motel.
Maybe a little different.  There is no Freddy Kruger type supernatural entity.  Evil perhaps, but not driven singularly by the need to be evil.  Supernatural things may occur, but only as unexplainable events.  Alternately, the unexplainable events may be perceptions from the mind of a schizophrenic, although whether any particular character is schizophrenic is not directly suggested in the story.  As the film progresses, it becomes strangely dreamlike.  Perhaps that's why I could identify with it, I may have had a dream very much like the movie.  Or it may be some social situation as it would be perceived on a bad LSD trip.  Yeah, dream or a bad trip; That may have been what the director was trying to create.

Any movie that creates (or demands) this much analytical thought is usually a movie I will rate very high.  I can understand many people would find that sort of response to be tedious, but I tend to get involved in that sort of shit.  It used to mildly annoy my ex.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on December 26, 2017, 03:36:09 PM
Stories told by sequential artwork.  Probably the second oldest form of storytelling, after oral.
Yeah, very cavemanish.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Just started the series Black Mirror (3 episodes a season, hour long each, stand-alone episodes, a British Netflix series.

It's... interesting. I don't really know how to describe it, but the first episode is basically examining terrorism and hostage taking by your stereotypical youtube commentor or 4chan idiot. It actually seems to be a very poignant reflection on internet culture and apparently the entire series is much the same... examining the effects of technological society in a very distopian or unsettling way.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 16, 2017, 01:19:43 PM
King really is a good writer.  But not like a Michener--every book he wrote is excellent.  With King that's not so, for me.  But his style is always good--great character development.  I either seem to love or to hate his books.  The Stand I loved, for example.  Delores Claiborne was brilliant.  Cujo, Pet Cemetery and Misery I hated.  But even in the hated books, the writing was very good.  I read the first Dark Tower book and could make neither heads nor tails of it--just confused.  But the writing was good.  And his books like the Cell seems to be just part of a book--loved it, but it sort of ended in mid story.  Anyway, the moves based on his books are all okay--none are really outstanding for me.

Watched it just now Id say 7/10 besides the shitty review it got. I read gunslinger and it was not as awesome as the movie. The only thing the movie needed was an R rating and more details but man King did a good job(also to make it less depressing).

Hydra009

In the Last Person to Post Wins thread, there has been a lot of talk about The Last Jedi.  So I figured I'd take the conversation over here so we can discuss it properly.

This has been a very polarizing film.  Lots of rave reviews and also quite a bit of very negative reviews.  Part of the reason for this is probably the fact that it's the first Star Wars sequel to go off in a new direction.  A lot of people liked that new direction and a lot of people weren't happy with it.

Personally, I'm pretty mixed.  I didn't love the film but I didn't really hate it either.  It had its great moments and it had a lot of missed opportunities.

[spoiler]The fuel situation was a poorly written ticking clock plot.  Everyone loves ticking clock plots.  Hell, two out of three of the original trilogy movies had them.  They give a sense of urgency and tension to the film.  Done poorly, they can frustrate and annoy the audience.

Imo, this one was the latter for me.  Why?  Because the way it's written doesn't make any rational sense.  The writers are essentially asking the audience to believe that the Rebel fleet is being chased by the First Order that can't catch up to them, can't do much damage at long range (for reasons), and can't call in reinforcements to intercept the Rebels.  But we should still be worried for the Rebels because they'll run out of fuel eventually, a problem that IIRC didn't previously exist.  This scene - which lasts almost the entirety of the movie - is basically the OJ Simpson chase minus the arrest.  And as Johnnie Cochran probably once said: if the plot is shit, you must acquit.

The side quest to [Generic Gambling City] to get [Generic code guy] was pointless and annoying.  The First Order pursuing the Rebels was basically an extended chase scene lasting most of the movie.  You know what you can't do during a chase scene?  Bail then come back.  It just doesn't work.  It kills whatever tension when you cut back and forth and it further reveals the ridiculousness of the plot by showing that characters can just opt-out whenever they want.  Do you know what kind of reviews Mad Max Fury Road would have gotten if Max and Furiosa just jumped in another car and went to the Home Depot to get nails to create a nail trap to throw off their pursuers?!

Then there's curmudgeon Luke.  I don't actually mind this one so much, it just could've been handled better.  Some fans didn't like it because it didn't jive with their memories of Luke from the original trilogy (and they're right).  Fans who accepted the character shift point out that Luke has seen the galaxy go to shit and feels personally responsible for it (and they're right).  But we should've seen this on screen, maybe a brief flashback or something.  Just a small scene from Luke's POV and viewers would probably be more sympathetic to Luke and understanding of his disillusionment and despair.

But the absolute most disappointing thing was all the unanswered questions from The Force Awakens and Last Jedi didn't answer a single goddamn one of them.

Who's Snoke?  What was his backstory?  Who are/were Rey's parents?  Why does Rey possess such incredible natural talent with the Force?  What's the state of the galaxy like right now?  What about the Droid attack on the Wookiees?  It's as if millions of theorists cried out for answers and were greeted with silence.

Related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3r38iCpGJ0

"I thought the film would be more interesting without Snoke so I wrote him out of the story"[/spoiler]

Hydra009

And so I don't come off as too much of a Debbie downer, here's some positive stuff about The Last Jedi.

[spoiler]
Great fight scene.

Jaw-dropping

I also really liked the space battle at the beginning of the film, though I was kinda miffed at the lack of the Rebels' signature Y-Wings in favor of the suicidal, all-or-nothing, Matrix-esqe bombers.[/spoiler]

Munch

Batman and Harley Quinn.

7/10

This was.. alright. I was a huge fan of the original batman the animated series, I was happy to hear Kevin Conroy as batman, but sad Arleen Sorkin didn't reprise her role as Harley. Melissa Rauch was okay I suppose, but not quite the flair Sorkin delivered in the role.
The animation while being in the style of the original, it also felt odd in places. It was more in style with the 'red sky season' of the original animated series, when they overhauled all the characters and art style, that was at the time the series began to loose ratings. So seeing this style instead of the classic art style made it seem serviceable.
Also the theme was bizarre in places, while the original kept itself within a pg rating of what they could get away with in terms of violence, vulgarity and innuendos, this one went balls to the wall all over the place, blood being sprayed one minute, fart humor the next, sex just being outright on the table. It was like it was set in the animated universe but like it had been withheld from doing more adult themes all this time, and just BOOM, all at once doing it all in the space of one hour.
Also the humor when it appeared was very loony toons, so yeah, that and the mature themes put in made it kind of jumbled.

It was alright, the setting, the characters, it was like the good old series in places, but seemed like a lot more liberties taken, it was more like a fan made project by fans of the original series now grown up, more then a real continuation of the original.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Munch

the mountain between us.

7/10

Brother had this and gave it to me, had only seen a glimpse of its trailer before and didn't really attract me then, but I like Idris Elba, so sat and gave it a go.
Overall, it was 'alright', Elba's always a delight in any role,  Kate Winslet was pretty good two, they played off each other well in this, though despite it meaning to be a serious romantic survival movie, I found myself laughing a few times at this at some of the silly plot points. And it did wrap with in a pretty generic way. But overall it was alright, any fans of the two main stars would probably like to have this in their collection.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Darkest Hour Winston Spencer Churchill was handed the worst job on Earth in May, 1940, to try and save the British or to preside over the dissolution of the British Empire. Gary Oldman plays Churchill and Mr. Shadow plays Hitler.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Unbeliever

Gary Oldman is one of the best actors of our day! He's been in so many great roles- any movie he's in is worth watching just because he's In it.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 25, 2018, 06:27:12 PM
Darkest Hour Winston Spencer Churchill was handed the worst job on Earth in May, 1940, to try and save the British or to preside over the dissolution of the British Empire. Gary Oldman plays Churchill and Mr. Shadow plays Hitler.

I have wanted to see this in particular, but no opportunity ;-(

Too bad it wasn't a burlesque like The Inglorious Bastards.  That way, the British-Nazi traitors, Lord Halifax and King Edward, could have been spectacularly eliminated on film, when they were in fact allowed to live.

Churchill was an ass, but he also saved civilization.  He failed to save the British Empire ... because it was unsalvageable.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

I saw "the Martian" last night.  Pretty good.  But as a gardener, I know you don't just cut potatoes in half and stick them in feces to grow the,  And he was a BOTANIST!  And I thought of several things he didn't.  But on the whole, Pretty Damn Good!  3.5 of 5.  I liked Gravity better and Interstellar less.

Still waiting for Dr Strange on regular cable...

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 11:49:35 AM
I saw "the Martian" last night.  Pretty good.  But as a gardener, I know you don't just cut potatoes in half and stick them in feces to grow the,  And he was a BOTANIST!  And I thought of several things he didn't.  But on the whole, Pretty Damn Good!  3.5 of 5.  I liked Gravity better and Interstellar less.

The Martian felt like a big budget, sci-fi version of Survivorman. Which is not a bad thing, by any means. :D
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Cavebear

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on January 27, 2018, 11:54:12 AM
The Martian felt like a big budget, sci-fi version of Survivorman. Which is not a bad thing, by any means. :D

Don't get me wrong, I LOVED the movie.  Reminded me of Outcast (?).  My objections were very minor.  Details, and I bet the technical experts on the set screamed "NO, don't do that".  But if more movies were like THAT, I would watch more movies.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on January 27, 2018, 11:49:35 AM

Gravity was well directed, had me shit my pants about once a minute.  I once had a payload on the Shuttle (a project engineer in a big team).

Dr Strange is great.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.