News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Shiranu on December 11, 2017, 07:29:06 PMRice being the one who designed the Star Wars logo... um, the film is literally about Space Nazis. How the fuck can that not be just a tad bit political?

Until recently, the opinion that Nazis were bad was not politically divisive.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 12, 2017, 02:57:11 AM
Until recently, the opinion that Nazis were bad was not politically divisive.

Art that is topical, won't last.

In certain circles, Nazis were, and still are, considered the good guys.  You don't get out past your confirmation bias.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on December 11, 2017, 11:39:18 PM
I drove by this house once, as a morbid idea:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Edward_Coneys

Man was hiding in the attic for 9 months.
The most chilling horror for me usually involves people rather than deformed monsters.  It's closer to home and easier to identify with.  When I was a little kid, monsters were scarier, but as I got older, real people can scare me more.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on December 12, 2017, 09:06:20 AM
The most chilling horror for me usually involves people rather than deformed monsters.  It's closer to home and easier to identify with.  When I was a little kid, monsters were scarier, but as I got older, real people can scare me more.

You are wise.  The most dangerous serial killers, they say ... are the most handsome and charming.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

caseagainstfaith

There are things to complain about in the new Star Wars movie.  In any SW movie, good or bad, you have to engage very massive suspension of disbelief.  And there are plot holes or at least things that don't seem explained well.  But this one had pretty good plot twists I didn't see coming.  And I felt a lot more connected with the characters than in the last two.  I know lots of people loved Rogue One.  And I didn't hate it.  It had good moments.  But, this is the first time since the original trilogy that I actually felt something for the characters.  Best SW movie in over 30 years.  At least for me.

I loved Blade Runner 2049 too.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Shiranu

QuoteI loved Blade Runner too.

The new one?

All my friend's hated it because it was "too slow" and "all the action was at the beginning of the movie, and then nothing happened.".

This is why I prefer to watch movies alone, or to meet someone who actually enjoys cinema and not just pretty explosions and gun fights.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

The Last Jedi... a perfect 10, above Rogues perfect ten.

I don't really want to get into the reasons, because they are very personal. But this was an insanely emotional film for me, and in terms of how it effect me... regardless of how good or not of movie it was... it is right there with ANH and RotJ for perhaps most influential movie in my life.

All I have to say from a purely cinematic view... THAT scene. The light, the silence... it was literally the single most beautifully done scenes I have seen aesthetically, and not even close comes a second.

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: Shiranu on December 15, 2017, 08:14:48 PM
The new one?

I guess I assumed it would be understood the new one.  I edited my comment above.  Yes, I loved the new Bladerunner.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Atheon

The Last Jedi: though I had some issues, overall I put it up there among the top four SW movies. I really liked it (saw it twice already and plan to see it again) and of course I will get it on Blu-Ray.

On the Internet there seem to be a lot of upset fanboys out there, complaining about one thing or another.

My biggest complaint was...
[spoiler]Leia's Force survival in space, and floating Mary Poppins-like back to the ship. They could have handled that in a different way.[/spoiler]
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Shiranu

Star Wars... 93% from critics, 57% from audiences. All the reviews I've seen from YouTubers? Excellent. Literally every comment underneath? Worst movie ever made in the history movies, Star Wars is dead because of how horrible it was, wahh wahhh waaaaaaaaahhhhh!

Honestly, Star Wars purists are one of the most toxic and obnoxious fandoms there are.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on December 11, 2017, 07:29:06 PM
Rewatched Rogue One... still a perfect 10 for me and tied with Empire and A New Hope as the best Star Wars film imo.

Edit: Also, because I found this funny...

Rice being the one who designed the Star Wars logo... um, the film is literally about Space Nazis. How the fuck can that not be just a tad bit political?
Compare it to "Iron Sky".
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on December 15, 2017, 07:59:54 PM
There are things to complain about in the new Star Wars movie.  In any SW movie, good or bad, you have to engage very massive suspension of disbelief.  And there are plot holes or at least things that don't seem explained well.  But this one had pretty good plot twists I didn't see coming.  And I felt a lot more connected with the characters than in the last two.  I know lots of people loved Rogue One.  And I didn't hate it.  It had good moments.  But, this is the first time since the original trilogy that I actually felt something for the characters.  Best SW movie in over 30 years.  At least for me.

I loved Blade Runner 2049 too.

My favorite oxymoron: High quality comic book movie.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 16, 2017, 03:57:30 PM
My favorite oxymoron: High quality comic book movie.
It's no oxymoron.  Any genre, done correctly, has the potential for greatness.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on December 11, 2017, 07:29:06 PMRewatched Rogue One... still a perfect 10 for me and tied with Empire and A New Hope as the best Star Wars film imo.
Rogue One didn't really gel with me until about halfway through.  I disliked the abruptly changing venues and the lack of characterization in the first half of the film.  I didn't even know most of the character's names, let alone why they're doing what they're doing.

But the big mission completely turned around my initially fairly low opinion.  The beach part alone was fantastic, the droid really grew on me, and the space battle...*just right meme*

[spoiler]My absolute favorite part was the abrupt violence of the Imperial star destroyer hyperspacing in and immediately swatting several rebel ships at extremely close range.  Then the rebel ram/kamikaze attack.  Glorious.[/spoiler]

Still, there was some action footage from the trailer than never made it into the final cut, and that's disappointing because it looked like an amazing action sequence.  [spoiler]I'm referring to this part:
[/spoiler]

So, while I can't give it a 10 out of 10, it certainly wasn't bad, imho.