News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Trick 'r Treat 4/5

I don't, as a general rule, like horror movies.  However, I was willing to put up with one in order to see Fritz the Nite Owl (our local late night movie host) live.

I was completely wrong about *this* horror movie.  Four separate narratives, all intricately interwoven -- you start to pick up that you're seeing either foreshadowing or aftermath in the background as you go along.  Gore (what usually substitutes for actual horror in this genre) is minimal and sensible, rather than simply drowning the screen in gallons of stage blood.

We'll be going back to see Fritz for his holiday movie... Krampus.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Blackleaf

Saw Thor: Ragnarok. It was funny, it was suspenseful, and the plot was good as a self-contained story, while also making good use of callbacks to previous movies. However, expect gratuitous use of Led Zeppelin and dramatic slow motion. There was also one cameo which felt like it was only used to remind you he's in the MCU, but it didn't detract too much from the experience. Overall, I think it's one of the best MCU movies so far.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on November 03, 2017, 07:10:47 PM
Thor 9/10
Not the usual Thor type movie.  It's loaded with loopey dopey slapstick humor.  Lots of fun with some interesting new characters.
Yay! I'm sick of angst and comic book movies trying to be profound.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Sal1981

Bridge of Spies (2015) - 9.5/10

I doubt the movie is historically accurate, but very entertaining and good to watch.

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on November 22, 2017, 07:19:10 AM
Bridge of Spies (2015) - 9.5/10

I doubt the movie is historically accurate, but very entertaining and good to watch.

I enjoyed it also.  I think it caught the mood of the times.  That is as good as it gets with Hollywood.  I was alive then, but very young.  I remember when the President would come on TV, it was like the Pope speaking to the faithful in Vatican square.  The opposite of what corruption has created now.  Of course back then, we didn't know that JFK was banging anything that moved.  In today's witch hunt, JFK's demise would have been like the Murder On The Orient Express ... everyone would have been the assassin, except for Hercule Poirot.  I still want to see Jackie, from earlier this year ... if you weren't alive then, you can't imagine how traumatic the assassination was.

The Right Stuff captures that time, though it takes a few liberties.  Hidden Figures is a bit more fictional, but again, captures the spirit of that time.  In the same genre is Fail Safe (nearly happened) ... not Dr Strangelove.  And Seven Days In May.  That last one is yet to happen as such, but predicted the assassination of JFK by the Deep State.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

AllPurposeAtheist

Watched Remember the other day.. From 2015
An old man, presumably a Jew who was at Auschwitz now suffering from dementia escapes his nursing home and goes on a hunt for the Nazi who killed his family in the infamous concentration camp.
He travels across the US and parts of Canada and finally locates the guy, also an old man to kill, but something just wasn't right as he finds out..
Well worth watching.. I won't play the part of the spoiler in case you want to watch it, but it's a well made movie with Christopher Plummer and Martin Landau.. Plummer still had his acting skills..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

trdsf

Krampus (2015) -- Fritz the Nite Owl's holiday offering, directed by local boy done good Michael Doughtery, same director as "Trick 'r Treat" reviewed earlier.

Dougherty is now two for two in making movies that I like in a genre that I don't.  He's a director that makes intelligent choices with his movies, even when he's doing patently silly things.  Like Trick 'r Treat, this is a horror movie with very little splatter -- even less than T'rT, actually.  Certainly some of that is to do with his decision to make as close to an R-rated movie as he could and still get a PG-13 rating -- which he did, Krampus is in fact rated "only" PG-13.

Dougherty also did something else with this I love: virtually all the effects were done in camera, there's almost no CGI.  So everything feels solid on the screen and the actors are interacting with real things in real space.  More directors should remember this before reaching for the server farm.

I can hardly wait for his Godzilla: King of Monsters in 2019.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Lady Bird 9/10

This was at the theater.  I think it might be the most interesting movie about not much of anything, but one which I got absorbed in totally.  A high school senior girl is getting ready to off to college, and of course there has to be some minor turmoil in the family, because that's what families do.  Rotten Tomatoes gave it 100%.

SGOS

Acts of Vengeance 3/10
I didn't fall asleep, so I gave it 3 points for that.  But this straight to DVD movie was really lame.  It's like Antonio Banderas trying to follow in Nicholas Cage's footsteps.

A defense attorney whose wife and daughter are murdered takes a vow of silence until his wife and daughter are avenged.  OK, this had been done before, but the first groan I let out was when Antonio's voice over explains that since he is no longer talking, his hearing has become unusually acute, and he's suddenly hearing things that should not be audible.

Then he gets shot by a thug, and is lying there dying when a emergency room nurse finds him lying in a puddle on her way home from the hospital.  Being a ER nurse, it never occurs to her to take him to a hospital.  Instead she takes him home where she nurses him back to health overnight.  He leaves without thanking her because remember he's taken a vow of silence, so she has no idea what's going on.

But he leaves his wallet at her house and she brings it to his house, where through sign language and a kind of ESP thing they get to know each other.

Shit like this goes on through the rest of the movie, which does have one interesting twist.  The big problem is the script, which is filled with plot holes like the above.

Baruch

Watched Agatha Christie's "Mouse Trap" at the local amateur theater.  It was good.  Not as disturbing as "The Crucible".  Support your local theater.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Luther Martini

I watched "Sekigahara" on a JAL flight from Tokyo a couple of days ago.  Overall, I thought that the movie was great.  The acting was superb, and the set design and costumes were remarkable. 

Released earlier this year, it is a film adaptation of an historical novel about the events leading up to and including the battle of Sekigahara,  which was one of the most decisive events of the past four and a half centuries of Japan history.  Watching the movie, it is interesting to ponder how the history of Japan, Asia, and the rest of the world might have been different if Tokugawa Ieyasu had lost the battle.

My Japanese isn't anywhere close to being fluent enough to follow the dialog, therefore had to rely upon the English subtitles.  Simultaneously following the onscreen action and subtitles proved challenging at times due to the pace of the action and to the complex history of events leading up to the battle.  I would recommend that anyone intending to watch the movie who is not already familiar with Japan's history during the Sengoku and early Edo periods to devote some time to study prior to seeing the film.  That will greatly enhance the experience.

Baruch

Quote from: Luther Martini on December 10, 2017, 10:43:00 AM
I watched "Sekigahara" on a JAL flight from Tokyo a couple of days ago.  Overall, I thought that the movie was great.  The acting was superb, and the set design and costumes were remarkable. 

Released earlier this year, it is a film adaptation of an historical novel about the events leading up to and including the battle of Sekigahara,  which was one of the most decisive events of the past four and a half centuries of Japan history.  Watching the movie, it is interesting to ponder how the history of Japan, Asia, and the rest of the world might have been different if Tokugawa Ieyasu had lost the battle.

My Japanese isn't anywhere close to being fluent enough to follow the dialog, therefore had to rely upon the English subtitles.  Simultaneously following the onscreen action and subtitles proved challenging at times due to the pace of the action and to the complex history of events leading up to the battle.  I would recommend that anyone intending to watch the movie who is not already familiar with Japan's history during the Sengoku and early Edo periods to devote some time to study prior to seeing the film.  That will greatly enhance the experience.

A crucial event in Japanese history, this has been done on video many times.  I saw a really good bio of Tokugawa Ieyasu that of course included this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU4URaoQZ54

A huge battle, with many divisions on both sides, fought in a morning fog (literal fog of war).  The people who fought there didn't know what was going on either.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Better Watch Out DVD (2017) 8/10

A Christmastime variation of the classic homicidal maniac in the house horror/thriller.  While I'm not a fan of the genre, one occasionally comes along that is well done, creative, and worth a watch.  Ordinarily, I wouldn't have rented this one, but I watched the offerings that interested me from Redbox last week, and then got a coupon for a freebee today, and this was the best of the movies I wasn't interested in, so I took it, and I'm happy I did.  It got an 87% from Rotten Tomatoes.  OK, it's bloody, but not what I would call graphic.  I did not anticipate the ending either, which seems unusual for this type of flick. 

Shiranu

Rewatched Rogue One... still a perfect 10 for me and tied with Empire and A New Hope as the best Star Wars film imo.

Edit: Also, because I found this funny...

QuoteFor Rice, who voted for President-elect Donald Trump, the notion of interjecting politics into Star Wars doesn't sit right.

Rice being the one who designed the Star Wars logo... um, the film is literally about Space Nazis. How the fuck can that not be just a tad bit political?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on December 11, 2017, 07:21:26 PM
Better Watch Out DVD (2017) 8/10

A Christmastime variation of the classic homicidal maniac in the house horror/thriller.  While I'm not a fan of the genre, one occasionally comes along that is well done, creative, and worth a watch.  Ordinarily, I wouldn't have rented this one, but I watched the offerings that interested me from Redbox last week, and then got a coupon for a freebee today, and this was the best of the movies I wasn't interested in, so I took it, and I'm happy I did.  It got an 87% from Rotten Tomatoes.  OK, it's bloody, but not what I would call graphic.  I did not anticipate the ending either, which seems unusual for this type of flick.

I drove by this house once, as a morbid idea:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theodore_Edward_Coneys

Man was hiding in the attic for 9 months.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.