News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 09, 2017, 06:14:33 AM
Not really a flop.  People like the movie.  It just didn't meet expectations that it would make oodles of money, rather than a lackluster solid profit.  And the first one WAS actually poorly received at the box office, but remains a benchmark that sets a standard that most science fiction still struggles to reach.  Granted by today's music video standards, most people will go for something that doesn't challenge their attention deficit disorder.  As proof of this, one only has to consider that they are still making Transformers movies, but thought provoking films still have a place, and always will.  Not that the sequel here is as thought provoking as the first by any means, but it piggy backs well on the first, and actually develops the original story line, which most sequels don't do.  There are portions of the sequel that seemed slow, moments where 17 story buildings were not being demolished by the sweeping tail of a giant alien, but it still delivers something that many movie goers want to see.

Yes, every movie (for 12 year old minds) needs giant robots, giant lizards and Hulk going "smash" ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

I just realized something about Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Finn defects from the stormtroopers.  This is the first time we see a stormtrooper humanized in Star Wars.  He's a conscript who was taken from his family at a very young age and indoctrinated into the First Order.

He didn't choose his affiliation and his indoctrination plus constantly having a gun to his back didn't give him much of an option except to go along with his superiors' wishes.  The fact that he rebelled anyway is nothing short of amazing.  It opens up the possibility of mass defection or surrender.  The rebels don't necessarily have to...

*X-Wing blows away a bunch of stormtroopers with Finn cheering*
*rebels shoot a bunch more who may or may not have been considering surrender*

Woot!  Go good guys!

Gawdzilla Sama

Remember, this isn't the Empire, those are not clones.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on October 09, 2017, 05:47:43 PM
Remember, this isn't the Empire, those are not clones.

Unless I'm mistaken, the clones in the prequels were given accelerated lifespans, meaning they became adults very quickly, but they also died very quickly. By Episode IV, the clones are all gone, replaced by natural humans. They go from Clone Troopers to Stormtroopers.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 10, 2017, 01:06:11 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, the clones in the prequels were given accelerated lifespans, meaning they became adults very quickly, but they also died very quickly. By Episode IV, the clones are all gone, replaced by natural humans. They go from Clone Troopers to Stormtroopers.
I've never bothered with the canon. The movies aren't that important to me.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 10, 2017, 01:06:11 AM
Did they change that in the new canon? In Legends there was a clone rebellion on Kamino which prompted them to make new clones from different hosts.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on October 10, 2017, 09:45:10 AM
Did they change that in the new canon? In Legends there was a clone rebellion on Kamino which prompted them to make new clones from different hosts.

Star Wars Legends, or the Extended Universe as it was called before Disney's purchase of the franchise, is no longer canon. Only the movies, the Clone Wars cartoons, and some of the comics are now canon, as well as anything produced under Disney. But even that second set of clones you're referring to were after Episode VI, if I'm not mistaken. In Episode IV, Luke was planning to volunteer for the Imperial Military along with his friends. This was, of course, before the Empire torched his family and home.
--Fulke Greville--

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 10, 2017, 12:16:06 PM
Star Wars Legends, or the Extended Universe as it was called before Disney's purchase of the franchise, is no longer canon. Only the movies, the Clone Wars cartoons, and some of the comics are now canon, as well as anything produced under Disney. But even that second set of clones you're referring to were after Episode VI, if I'm not mistaken. In Episode IV, Luke was planning to volunteer for the Imperial Military along with his friends. This was, of course, before the Empire torched his family and home.
The officers and crew of the Imperial ships weren't clones, quite obviously.
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Correction: I think the Kamino Uprising was sometime between III and IV. I'm not sure if it's canon or not. It seems a few clones were made from a new genome, but the clone project in general ended up shut down. A few years later, the clones were outnumbered by the new recruits, who weren't as well trained but were much cheaper.
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Thor 9/10
Not the usual Thor type movie.  It's loaded with loopey dopey slapstick humor.  Lots of fun with some interesting new characters.

SGOS

Justice League  meh/10

The story doesn't hang together very well.  The plot is simple, and moves toward the obvious outcome, but the movie relies on a lot of unnecessary fighting without much character development.  It reminded me of a Transformers movie heavy on bashing and smashing, and not much else.  Lots of special effects, but it comes off as irrelevant.  Sometimes they fight in a cave.  Then an abandoned factory.  Then a forest.  Is this taking place on Earth or another planet?  Who knows?  It doesn't seem to be important.  But superheroes go flying into cliffs, and keep coming back for more.

The actual high points are very spread out.  There may be about 10 scenes in the movie that are good for an outright laugh or poignant.  But they are usually brief and last only 5 or 10 seconds.  It's good enough to kill some time, but you won't leave the theater feeling all that impressed.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on November 17, 2017, 06:48:59 PM
Justice League  meh/10

The story doesn't hang together very well.  The plot is simple, and moves toward the obvious outcome, but the movie relies on a lot of unnecessary fighting without much character development.  It reminded me of a Transformers movie heavy on bashing and smashing, and not much else.  Lots of special effects, but it comes off as irrelevant.  Sometimes they fight in a cave.  Then an abandoned factory.  Then a forest.  Is this taking place on Earth or another planet?  Who knows?  It doesn't seem to be important.  But superheroes go flying into cliffs, and keep coming back for more.

The actual high points are very spread out.  There may be about 10 scenes in the movie that are good for an outright laugh or poignant.  But they are usually brief and last only 5 or 10 seconds.  It's good enough to kill some time, but you won't leave the theater feeling all that impressed.

In the DC vs Marvel comics, there was a bizarre reality that Marvel recognized and DC didn't. 

Let's say Superman and The Hulk are both trying to hold down a jet.  They are both superstrong.  But you can't hold down a jet by strength.  Superman just DOES.  The Hulk holds on to something solid like a subway station. 

That's the difference between DC and Marvel.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on November 18, 2017, 01:48:18 AM
In the DC vs Marvel comics, there was a bizarre reality that Marvel recognized and DC didn't. 

Let's say Superman and The Hulk are both trying to hold down a jet.  They are both superstrong.  But you can't hold down a jet by strength.  Superman just DOES.  The Hulk holds on to something solid like a subway station. 

That's the difference between DC and Marvel.

that one's heroes are grounded while the others is more mythical and defines the laws of rationality? I think I get that, marvel has always had more grounded superheroes who get hurt, have limits, and have problems to overcome/character flaws. DC always seems to just be able people getting awesome powers and being god like.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on November 20, 2017, 01:55:13 PM
that one's heroes are grounded while the others is more mythical and defines the laws of rationality? I think I get that, marvel has always had more grounded superheroes who get hurt, have limits, and have problems to overcome/character flaws. DC always seems to just be able people getting awesome powers and being god like.

Comic book religion.  Just as Wonder Woman started as comic book feminism.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on November 20, 2017, 01:55:13 PM
Exactly.  I think that's why I have a hard time empathizing with DC characters.  Most of them are too larger than life, too alien (no offense, Supes).  They don't feel like people, they feel like archetypes.

I prefer it when some nobody gets mixed up in some incredible circumstances and learns to deal with it the best he/she can and do some good.  People who sometimes make mistakes, who don't always know what to do, who don't always save the day and get the girl.