News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on October 08, 2017, 09:07:38 AM
According to the first movie, the four year lifespan was built into the androids to prevent them from developing annoying habits, like thinking on their own or adopting strategies of self preservation.  That always struck me as a weak point in the story, since the four year life span itself was precisely the cause of android discord that it was designed to prevent.  Such a problem was not anticipated by the designers and would have been the  'well, duh??' moment in history if there ever was one.

Another story inconsistency in film #1 was when Roy Batty asked Tyrell how he could get more life.  Tyrell told him he couldn't because he was designed as well as they could make him.  Whereas earlier, the movie said the life span issue was intentional.  I suppose that he could have meant once designed to live four years, Roy could not be redesigned.  But Tyrell didn't indicate that at all.  Also, the android Rachael, had no such life span limitation, so it seems like androids can be built anyway you want.

There is a scene in the second movie, where Deckart meets Tyrell again briefly.  Tyrell is no longer played by Studs Edit:  Joe Turkel, but a younger actor, making it seem like maybe Tyrell was an android himself, but I think that was an unintended mistake by the director, and not something to be developed in another sequel.  At any rate, that brief scene was a surreal encounter in the film, but I'm not sure why.  It's not like I'm trying to avoid giving anything away.  I don't understand it.  There was just something about it that gave me the heeby jeebies.  The acting maybe.  I want to watch that scene again.

The limited lifespan seems rather self-preservational for humans and sensible.  Why couldn't  or wouldn't that be built into them?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on October 08, 2017, 09:39:10 AM
The limited lifespan seems rather self-preservational for humans and sensible.  Why couldn't  or wouldn't that be built into them?
The four year life span has always bothered me about the story. 

1.  Bioengineered life forums, according to the story, are very expensive, as Zora explained about her snake, and Rachel explains about "our owl."  I would expect futuristic technology to be better than that.

2.  A four year life span breeds discontent.  Robots are fine with it, but androids get pissed off about it.  Build robots to do dangerous jobs.

3.  They could already build the androids as they wanted.  They built Rachael, who seemed to exceed their expectations in every way.

A better solution than a short shelf life, would have been to build them less hot headed.  The first film did say that engineering an easier going personality did have some problems, and was the reason they gave them false memories "as a cushion of life experiences that you and I take for granted."  I never bought that.  How do memories of piano lessons make one content with a short life span?  They had already built Rachael, and she apparently integrated with society as desired, and she lived a long time, so we know they had the capability of building androids that worked the way they wanted.

Sheesh.  All your questions are making me think about all the shit I didn't like in the first movie.  I loved that movie.  Don't wreck it for me.  Just kidding.  I actually enjoy this kind of stuff.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on October 08, 2017, 10:01:32 AM
The four year life span has always bothered me about the story. 

1.  Bioengineered life forums, according to the story, are very expensive, as Zora explained about her snake, and Rachel explains about "our owl."  I would expect futuristic technology to be better than that.

2.  A four year life span breeds discontent.  Robots are fine with it, but androids get pissed off about it.  Build robots to do dangerous jobs.

3.  They could already build the androids as they wanted.  They built Rachael, who seemed to exceed their expectations in every way.

A better solution than a short shelf life, would have been to build them less hot headed.  The first film did say that engineering an easier going personality did have some problems, and was the reason they gave them false memories "as a cushion of life experiences that you and I take for granted."  I never bought that.  How do memories of piano lessons make one content with a short life span?  They had already built Rachael, and she apparently integrated with society as desired, and she lived a long time, so we know they had the capability of building androids that worked the way they wanted.

Sheesh.  All your questions are making me think about all the shit I didn't like in the first movie.  I loved that movie.  Don't wreck it for me.  Just kidding.  I actually enjoy this kind of stuff.

Actually, I've only seen the movie in bits and pieces.  The whole thing is too dark.  Dystopia is not my thing. 

Shiranu

Blade Runner: 2049 - 9.8/10

Super, super refreshing to watch a movie that makes you think.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on October 09, 2017, 01:58:00 AM
Blade Runner: 2049 - 9.8/10

Super, super refreshing to watch a movie that makes you think.

I'll have to see that one...

Shiranu

Quote from: Cavebear on October 09, 2017, 02:04:29 AM
I'll have to see that one...

It's dark, but I love the Cyberpunk genre in large part because I think it's a very realistic portrayal of what humanity (if it is not careful) is heading towards; a world where scientific enhancements and corporatism slowly erodes the humanity in us, as well as the issues of creating life through A.I. and not morally being equipped to handle the ramifications of that. I guess it's a borderline morbid, sitting in a corner sulking, satisfaction of knowing someone else sees the same writing on the wall and is equally disgusted by it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on October 09, 2017, 02:41:30 AM
It's dark, but I love the Cyberpunk genre in large part because I think it's a very realistic portrayal of what humanity (if it is not careful) is heading towards; a world where scientific enhancements and corporatism slowly erodes the humanity in us, as well as the issues of creating life through A.I. and not morally being equipped to handle the ramifications of that. I guess it's a borderline morbid, sitting in a corner sulking, satisfaction of knowing someone else sees the same writing on the wall and is equally disgusted by it.

I sometimes suspect much the same.  Corporate mercantilism could return, and Robber Barons are present already in politics and society.

The AI is consuming us (not me, I don't even have a cell phone and Siri doesn't know I exist).  I won't have a AI car, I won't have "the internet of things" and I even keep my TV "stupid".

Shiranu

Quote from: Cavebear on October 09, 2017, 02:58:22 AM
I sometimes suspect much the same.  Corporate mercantilism could return, and Robber Barons are present already in politics and society.

The AI is consuming us (not me, I don't even have a cell phone and Siri doesn't know I exist).  I won't have a AI car, I won't have "the internet of things" and I even keep my TV "stupid".

I "hate" (for lack of a better word) the situation I find myself in, in that... as a product of my generation (and awkwardly, of a very early 1900s generation thanks to being adopted by my great-grandfather), there are certain truths that are inescapable for me (which is true for all generations, obviously).

I cannot escape the lure of modern technology, both through my own lack of strength but also the fact that the entire modern world is basically built upon it. Sure, I could head to the middle of nowhere, or a third world country, but the first one I lack the skills to survive in due to those skills not being something the modern generation is taught, as well as tens of thousands of dollars worth of debt to the system, and for the third world... almost all jobs I could work revolve around modern tech and industry exploiting a weaker social system, meaning I am still part of that system. Likewise for corporations... I cant fucking stand them. The very thought of most of them is abhorrent to my world view on how economies should operate, that they are built on exploitation rather than hard work and mom-and-pop ethics (which is not always a good thing)... but there is not much I can do about it. Even if I try to open my own mom and pop business (preferably mechanic or retail based), the reality is that today I don't stand a chance when the super corporations run the market and they run the politicians who would be the only realistic means of giving me a fighting chance. At the rate we are going, corporations will be running for office by the end of my life time.

But at the same time, I was raised by a generation that didn't have these things, didn't grow up on these things, and in truth were much closer to life as it was in the 1600s than in the 21st century, so I have many biases that most people my age don't have, or even know exist.

I am thankful to have been adopted by an "ancient" family and raised in that tradition, but it gives me a view on the world that doesn't have a happy ending... I often feel like that Luddite complaining about how cars and the telephone will destroy society as we know it, but instead of being 95 and in a nursing home i'm at the prime of my youth and should be embracing all that is new.

I guess, after typing that, a better way of describing my love of cyberpunk is that it gives me something I can relate to. It's not just about sulking in a corner, it's about knowing that, thank god, I'm not alone in my age group. And to be fair, I have met a few people who try to keep the "old" modern ways alive; my ex would not text to save her life and instead insisted on calls only because it's more personal (something I still fully agree with and hate that the modern generation has gone away from), only bought cars that relied primarily on mechanical engineering rather than computer engineering, small stuff like that... but to see it make it to the big screen and be successful makes me feel a bit more comfortable that a fair number of people think likewise and we aren't just the overwhelmingly minuscule exception to the rule.

Of course, that could all just be overthinking everything, but this last week is or two honestly the first weeks I have thought about anything rather than mulking about and worrying about the presidency or the problems he is causing... so it's refreshing to be focused more on myself and my worldview than on something completely out of my control at this point and I'm going to embrace it and overthink the fuck out of it. Might make me miserable, but at least it's misery I'm causing myself god damn it.

Cavebear

Every generation has its challenges and the future does not seem brightest when you are just stating. And I will say that there is something to be said for being able to live off the grid if required. 

I love my internet, my M/W, and my car.  I am no "survivalist" in the sense of hoarding guns and rations.  .  But I also do know how to hunt a deer with a bow, track it to the death, gut it, and build a fire to cook it on.

I could get by in a failed world so long as some mob doesn't kill me.  And they would probably take me in for my skills.

I think I would miss my cats the most. 

Shiranu

Looking at reviews... It's apparently a critic hit, a box office flop, with older generations being the main ticket buyers (my friend fell asleep during it).

I guess I put too much faith in my generation.

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on October 09, 2017, 03:37:01 AM
Looking at reviews... It's apparently a critic hit, a box office flop, with older generations being the main ticket buyers (my friend fell asleep during it).

I guess I put too much faith in my generation.
I sure won't bother to see it in a theater.  It will come on TV in a few years.  I wouldn't go to a theater if they paid me to attend.

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on October 09, 2017, 03:37:01 AM
Not really a flop.  People like the movie.  It just didn't meet expectations that it would make oodles of money, rather than a lackluster solid profit.  And the first one WAS actually poorly received at the box office, but remains a benchmark that sets a standard that most science fiction still struggles to reach.  Granted by today's music video standards, most people will go for something that doesn't challenge their attention deficit disorder.  As proof of this, one only has to consider that they are still making Transformers movies, but thought provoking films still have a place, and always will.  Not that the sequel here is as thought provoking as the first by any means, but it piggy backs well on the first, and actually develops the original story line, which most sequels don't do.  There are portions of the sequel that seemed slow, moments where 17 story buildings were not being demolished by the sweeping tail of a giant alien, but it still delivers something that many movie goers want to see.

Sal1981

Ghost in the Shell (2017) - 6/10

They pretty much butchered the original plot to some wishy-washy "spirit of human". I can't imagine a sequel being any better.

Sendt fra min SM-G920F med Tapatalk

SGOS

Quote from: Sal1981 on October 09, 2017, 06:50:53 AM
Ghost in the Shell (2017) - 6/10
They pretty much butchered the original plot to some wishy-washy "spirit of human". I can't imagine a sequel being any better.
Visually, the movie does well in IMAX 3d, especially the swirling city scape hologram bill boards.  But the story was weak.  The plot seemed familiar, like maybe I had seen it 20 times before.  I remember a distinct "Is that all?" feeling at the end of my second viewing.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on October 09, 2017, 07:16:52 AM
Visually, the movie does well in IMAX 3d, especially the swirling city scape hologram bill boards.  But the story was weak.  The plot seemed familiar, like maybe I had seen it 20 times before.  I remember a distinct "Is that all?" feeling at the end of my second viewing.
The anime original is positively venerable by now.

Bladerunner was too long and over-engineered.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers