Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Movie news:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/9/13/16304380/hellboy-david-harbour-first-look

QuoteThe first look at David Harbour’s Hellboy has arrived and it’s slightly more muscular than what fans may be used to.

Habour’s version of the character is very similar to Ron Perlman’s portrayal of the devil in the original Hellboy and Hellboy II: The Golden Army. Both characters were muscular, red beasts, but there are a few key distinctions between the two. Habour’s version of the character has much more defined eyes and his hair is cut differently from Perlman’s. Harbour’s Hellboy is less stocky, sporting more defined muscles.

Or, to put it another way, Harbour’s Hellboy is a little more realistic while Perlman’s is a little more cartoonish or abstracted.

Even if Harbour’s Hellboy looks similar to Perlman’s, the actor has said before that their portrayals will be different in a couple of different ways.

“I think Hellboy has a certain psycho dynamic, where occasionally he has to prove that he's the lion, has to roar, and I think he struggles with his own masculinity,” Harbour told Cinema Blend. “But I don't think he needs that as much as maybe those other movies. I have a bit of a different take on his capability or his slickness. I sort of think that for me he's a little less skilled at constructing that persona.”

The new Hellboy, which is being developed without Guillermo del Toro or Perlman, is being directed by Neil Marshall (The Descent, Game of Thrones.) Both del Toro and Perlman have spoken about the new movie and have wished Marshall the best of luck with the project. Despite spending years trying to get Hellboy 3 made, del Toro confirmed in February that his time with the franchise had come to an end.

Hellboy will be released in 2018.

Looks pretty good. I loved perlman as Hellboy, but it looks like they really focused as trying to make this new Hellboy as close to the original as possible.
Remains to be seen if Harbour can make him as memorable as perlmans take.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

No more than most superheroes...  Hulk beats him.  Yawn...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 14, 2017, 08:45:56 AM
No more than most superheroes...  Hulk beats him.  Yawn...

never really been a fan of hulk. His character stems from whoevers playing Bruce Banner in the movies, hulk himself is just a big dumb child raging at the screen with only the most occasional glimpse at any other emotion besides 'Rrrraauugh'.

If they were to make him into like world breaker hulk who had a personality, then it might seem like a progression in character.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on September 14, 2017, 08:50:02 AM
never really been a fan of hulk. His character stems from whoevers playing Bruce Banner in the movies, hulk himself is just a big dumb child raging at the screen with only the most occasional glimpse at any other emotion besides 'Rrrraauugh'.

If they were to make him into like world breaker hulk who had a personality, then it might seem like a progression in character.

Childhood abuse...  Always angry.

Gawdzilla Sama

Well, good news, he speaks in "Ragnarok". First step.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

But in the last movie, he shows emotion and thought by taking the plane off into wherever he went, I think "he" knew he needed to get away from that woman. She wanted him bad and who knows how doing the hibbity jibbety with him could turn out at the last seconds prior to that blissful moment eh?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on September 14, 2017, 09:45:58 AM
But in the last movie, he shows emotion and thought by taking the plane off into wherever he went, I think "he" knew he needed to get away from that woman. She wanted him bad and who knows how doing the hibbity jibbety with him could turn out at the last seconds prior to that blissful moment eh?

Actually, I was surprised by that.  It hints that Bruce Banner has some intellect or at least instinct to rational action while still the Hulk.  There have been times in the Marvel series wjen he was actually quite intelligent as the Hulk.

Sal1981

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. - 8/10

I'm a sucker for family reunions.

Cavebear

Quote from: Sal1981 on September 14, 2017, 02:39:37 PM
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. - 8/10

I'm a sucker for family reunions.

I just can't past "I am Groot"!  Over and over and over again.  I'd rather listen to Jar Jar Bing another whole Summer!  And talk about asking for pain...

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on September 14, 2017, 04:16:27 PM
I just can't past "I am Groot"!
It's no different from Chewbacca's distinct growl (which Han Solo understands perfectly) or Hodor's hodoring (which people only vaguely understand based on his tone and body language)

Plus, he's actually communicating a lot of information, it's just that it has to be deciphered from the inflections/tone of his three-word vocabulary.  Several Guardians (Rocket, Mantis, movie Star Lord) have learned to understand him to the point of having conversations with him, as does Maximus (but he's crazy, so that might not be genuine understanding)

Munch

I just put down Groots emotion and facual expressions as his language and you just make up what you will of it, like his smile in the first movie after impaling a load of soldiers on his vine, his smile just screamed "look what I did" or "That was hell'a fun!"

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on September 14, 2017, 06:03:16 PM
I just put down Groots emotion and facual expressions as his language and you just make up what you will of it, like his smile in the first movie after impaling a load of soldiers on his vine, his smile just screamed "look what I did" or "That was hell'a fun!"
That would mean he couldn't use a radio.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Munch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on September 14, 2017, 06:09:55 PM
That would mean he couldn't use a radio.

unless it was to rocket, or mantis, or starlord, who all understand him.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on September 14, 2017, 06:37:31 PM
unless it was to rocket, or mantis, or starlord, who all understand him.
But if he used his facial expressions that wouldn't xmit over the radio.
PZ Myers

SGOS

My first reaction to Groot was, "OMG, this is really dumb," but he grew on me, which I really didn't expect to happen.  Marvel just kept pushing at it until I sensed Marvel was demanding I get with it or else. So I suspended a little more of my disbelief, and finally I understood.  It was like having a religious revelation, and I became free at last.

And Marvel's depiction of him struggling to remember which was the right button to push is much the same.  They could have gotten the point of his struggle across in one fifth of the time, but they stretched on and on and on, until I didn't know if I was laughing at Groot for being so stupid, or laughing at Marvel punishing me for trying to be such a pseudo intellectual snob.