News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on September 09, 2017, 03:37:19 PM
Light God = Lucifer.  Japanese folks not only borrow and repurpose Western words and names, they also borrow Western culture when it suites them.

The original opening of the anime portrayed Light standing in front of what appeared to be a painting of Lucifer, and there were several other Christian allusions as well. The death god eating apples, Light washing the feet of L, the organ and choir music. It wasn't very subtle. lol
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 09, 2017, 05:44:37 PM
The original opening of the anime portrayed Light standing in front of what appeared to be a painting of Lucifer, and there were several other Christian allusions as well. The death god eating apples, Light washing the feet of L, the organ and choir music. It wasn't very subtle. lol
According to the creator, the apples aren't symbolic, just chosen because of the contrast with Ryuk's dark appearance.  Pssht!  Next they'll tell me that Fahrenheit 451 wasn't about censorship.

Imho, sometimes the audience interpretation is more definitive than the author.  The author raises the work and lets it out into the world (not unlike Ryuk with the Death Note), the world is where it fully develops.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 09, 2017, 08:59:29 PM
According to the creator, the apples aren't symbolic, just chosen because of the contrast with Ryuk's dark appearance.  Pssht!  Next they'll tell me that Fahrenheit 451 wasn't about censorship.

Imho, sometimes the audience interpretation is more definitive than the author.  The author raises the work and lets it out into the world (not unlike Ryuk with the Death Note), the world is where it fully develops.

Maybe the animators created more symbolism than the manga writer intended. There's literally a depiction of Michelangelo's the Creation of Adam, except with Ryuk on the place of God, and Light taking the place of Adam. And in Ryuk's hand, being offered to Light, is the apple. The apple on the desk also phases into the Death Note. Both the apple of Eden and the Death Note are symbols of death.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

I'm inclined to agree, the creator's protests notwithstanding.  Art is great for inspiring sometimes contradictory interpretations.

Cavebear

Anyone ever read the "Wild Cards" book?  They could be a fantastic movie series.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Sal1981

Ghostbusters (2016) - 2/10

Boring tripe, and nothing of interest or value happens in the entirety of the movie.

Cavebear

Quote from: Sal1981 on September 11, 2017, 06:22:37 AM
Ghostbusters (2016) - 2/10

Boring tripe, and nothing of interest or value happens in the entirety of the movie.

There were BOOKS of that tripe?  Sorry to fans' "nonsense"?

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2017, 05:50:17 AM
Anyone ever read the "Wild Cards" book?  They could be a fantastic movie series.

I'm hoping to make that my next series of books. Once i finish with The discworld saga.

Liked the live action discworld movies btw, just not ad much as the books.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 11, 2017, 03:51:41 PM
I'm hoping to make that my next series of books. Once i finish with The discworld saga.

Liked the live action discworld movies btw, just not ad much as the books.

Start and you're hooked. 

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 09, 2017, 08:59:29 PM
As a writer myself, I cannot agree with that.  I can think of few things that would annoy me more than someone telling me "Oh, what you were really trying to say was (...)."  No, I was trying to say what I as creator say I was trying to say -- if someone got something else out of it, either it was mis- (or over-)interpreted, or I failed to make my point.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on September 13, 2017, 08:46:53 AM
As a writer myself, I cannot agree with that.  I can think of few things that would annoy me more than someone telling me "Oh, what you were really trying to say was (...)."  No, I was trying to say what I as creator say I was trying to say -- if someone got something else out of it, either it was mis- (or over-)interpreted, or I failed to make my point.

You made Derrida sad ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on September 13, 2017, 08:46:53 AMAs a writer myself, I cannot agree with that.  I can think of few things that would annoy me more than someone telling me "Oh, what you were really trying to say was (...)."  No, I was trying to say what I as creator say I was trying to say -- if someone got something else out of it, either it was mis- (or over-)interpreted, or I failed to make my point.
People take ideas and run with them.  Or alter how those ideas appear by looking at them through their own experiences.  It can't be helped.  Plenty of people experience paintings and sculptures and music and see meanings to it that the person beside them (least of all the creator) doesn't.

Besides, sometimes the audience comes up with far more interesting interpretations than what the author intended.  If I told you that Fahrenheit 451 was nothing more than a polemic against television, would you agree?  If I described the Force from Star Wars as microscopic organelles, would you be satisfied with that answer?

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 13, 2017, 06:45:51 PM
People take ideas and run with them.  Or alter how those ideas appear by looking at them through their own experiences.  It can't be helped.  Plenty of people experience paintings and sculptures and music and see meanings to it that the person beside them (least of all the creator) doesn't.

Besides, sometimes the audience comes up with far more interesting interpretations than what the author intended.  If I told you that Fahrenheit 451 was nothing more than a polemic against television, would you agree?  If I described the Force from Star Wars as microscopic organelles, would you be satisfied with that answer?

I like The Force as something like Zen better than midichlorians ... sounds like a foot fungus.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 13, 2017, 06:45:51 PM

There's a difference between coming up with an interpretation, and divining authorial intent.  Can you interpret Fahrenheit 451 as an anti-television polemic?  Sure, I suppose so.  But that's miles different from saying that was the story Bradbury meant to tell.

It's the difference between someone telling me 'this is what I see in it' versus 'this is what you were really saying'.  I can accept the former, even if I disagree with the interpretation.  But I absolutely reject the latter.  That requires telepathy to divine my intent, and that's fictional.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on September 13, 2017, 11:39:17 PMCan you interpret Fahrenheit 451 as an anti-television polemic?  Sure, I suppose so.  But that's miles different from saying that was the story Bradbury meant to tell.
What I'm referencing is the latter.  The author coming out and saying that he meant his story as a polemic against television, not as a story about censorship.  This of course flies in the face of pretty much everyone's impression of that story.

QuoteIt's the difference between someone telling me 'this is what I see in it' versus 'this is what you were really saying'.  I can accept the former, even if I disagree with the interpretation.  But I absolutely reject the latter.  That requires telepathy to divine my intent, and that's fictional.
Fair enough.