Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 31, 2017, 09:41:14 PM
Commander Data before the emotion chip ... beep, beep

You would rather be Data than Riker or Seven? 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on September 01, 2017, 03:27:41 PM
I am long since familiar with that movie; I first saw it in '02 or '03, and have followed Larry Blamire's career since.  One still holds out hope he'll be able to get his 'Steam Wars' movie off the ground; his other genre parodies (Trail of the Screaming Forehead, Dark and Stormy Night and The Lost Skeleton Returns Again, and his mobster movie Johnny Slade's Greatest Hits) are all just as weirdly wonderful as LSoC.

Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't the SLIGHTEST idea what you are talking about. 

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 04, 2017, 02:19:27 AM
You would rather be Data than Riker or Seven?

I was mocking your choice ... sorry I wasn't clear.  I am definitely more like Seven in some ways than like Data.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 04, 2017, 07:20:48 AM
I was mocking your choice ... sorry I wasn't clear.  I am definitely more like Seven in some ways than like Data.

What living being isn't?

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on September 04, 2017, 02:20:46 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't the SLIGHTEST idea what you are talking about.
It's a parody of/homage to the B-movies of the 50s and early 60s.  It started with The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra which was done in the style of a low-budget Roger Corman/Bert I. Gordon/William Castle movie; the sequel, The Lost Skeleton Returns Again, was a parody of studio B movies rather than indie Bs.  He did a mobster movie, Johnny Slade's Greatest Hits (aka Meet the Mobsters, which is not his title), which was a sort of vanity project for John Fiore of The Sopranos.  Trail of the Screaming Forehead was a parody of the bigger budget sci-fi movies, and Dark and Stormy Night does in lonely haunted house movies.

All come with the trdsf seal of approval.  Highly recommended.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on September 04, 2017, 12:35:30 PM
It's a parody of/homage to the B-movies of the 50s and early 60s.  It started with The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra which was done in the style of a low-budget Roger Corman/Bert I. Gordon/William Castle movie; the sequel, The Lost Skeleton Returns Again, was a parody of studio B movies rather than indie Bs.  He did a mobster movie, Johnny Slade's Greatest Hits (aka Meet the Mobsters, which is not his title), which was a sort of vanity project for John Fiore of The Sopranos.  Trail of the Screaming Forehead was a parody of the bigger budget sci-fi movies, and Dark and Stormy Night does in lonely haunted house movies.

All come with the trdsf seal of approval.  Highly recommended.

I will accept what you say, as fiction seldom is stranger than the truth.  Subject later verification.  I'm finally just all worn out.

Mr.Obvious

Death Note (2017)

Doesn't hold a candle to the original story.

[spoiler]But I will give them kudos for having the balls to take a very beloved series, and daring to take it into a different route. And I will say that this version is more... 'realistic'. Don't get me wrong, I prefer watching Kira and L duke out wits in the anime. But the long cat and mouse game with two impossibly intelligent people seemed very surreal at times. Here, unlike the manga/anime, the characters seem much more flawed.
But in the end, while interesting to see, that's where a lot of the story fails. Yes, I was glad not being able to predict every single thing because I hadn't seen it in the manga/anime before... But the characters, while more realistic, are just too different to see this as the same 'grander story'. Instead of Light's calm demeanor and sociopathy, we get Light as a an emotional, frustrated guy. Instead of blindly, bimbo loyal Mia... well... And instead of the removed and objective superintelligent L, we get a highly emotionally involved above-average investigator. And the story focuses too little on the chess these two minds play. Rather it's become a tragic lovestory with loads of dead bodies... or something.

That being said. I don't hate it. And I think it should get a slightly better score than it does on metacritic and rotten tomatoes. I just wouldn't recommend it to people that don't know Death Note nor people that are huge fans of it. To those who merely like Death Note and aren't too fussy about an adaptation going fanfic on this franchise, like me, it's an okay movie.

And Ryuk looks great.[/spoiler]

6.5/10
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 08, 2017, 06:53:20 PMDeath Note (2017)

Doesn't hold a candle to the original story.
Yeah, I figured as much.  I'm tempted to rewatch the original then watch the movie just to be able to compare the two.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 08, 2017, 06:57:56 PM
Yeah, I figured as much.  I'm tempted to rewatch the original then watch the movie just to be able to compare the two.

I saw the movie as well as the anime years before. IMO, the movie is best enjoyed without comparing it to the original. Ryuk is the only character who is mostly unchanged (Dafoe was perfect for the role), and I found myself thinking of Light Turner as a completely different character from Light Yagami. In fact, I think the movie would have been better if it were a continuation of the original instead of an adaptation.

Spoiler for those who haven't seen the whole anime + Relight...

[spoiler]Light didn't simply fade from existence when he died, but he became a shinigami. And Ryuk suggests that he drop his notebook in the human world and see what happens. If the Netflix movie took the story from there, with Light serving as shinigami over a new Kira (after killing everyone who knew about the death note from the shinigami realm). Then the characters would have been seen as they should have been seen: as their own characters. It would have also been interesting to see Light interacting with the new Kira. Unlike Ryuk, who took a neutral stance, Light would have an interest in Kira's success.[/spoiler]

I actually enjoyed the movie. But I would recommend holding off on reviewing the anime until after seeing the movie, so the movie will better stand on its own merits.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 08, 2017, 10:44:14 PM
I saw the movie as well as the anime years before. IMO, the movie is best enjoyed without comparing it to the original. Ryuk is the only character who is mostly unchanged (Dafoe was perfect for the role), and I found myself thinking of Light Turner as a completely different character from Light Yagami.
Is that a typo?  Or is that seriously his name?  I'm sorry, but Light Turner comes across as only a slightly less comical name than Taserface.  I might not watch the movie after all.  It'd be difficult to not laugh whenever someone says his name.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 08, 2017, 11:11:20 PM
Is that a typo?  Or is that seriously his name?  I'm sorry, but Light Turner comes across as only a slightly less comical name than Taserface.  I might not watch the movie after all.  It'd be difficult to not laugh whenever someone says his name.

Turner is his last name, yes. He isn't Japanese anymore, so they changed his last name. But if you think about it, Light Yagami is an odd name too. "Light" is a random English word to use for a Japanese man. Yagami means "god," so his name is literally Light God. The name Turner was probably used to symbolize Light's loss of innocence and his descent into darkness.

Regardless of whether people like it or not, it's clear that a lot of work and passion went into making the movie, even after multiple delays and difficulty getting the green light. If the movie was just a cash in of a popular anime, it probably wouldn't have been finished. The effects were very realistic, and the deaths are much more interesting than they are in the original. No more heart attacks. When Light kills, it's an accident with a knife, a decapitation, or something more dramatic than someone grabbing their chest and falling over. The camera work was masterfully done as well, often reflecting the mood of the characters. At the dinner table with his father, who this Light doesn't get along with, shots are all closeups to give the viewer an uncomfortable and claustrophobic feeling. Then when Light leaves the table, the camera pulls back to reflect Light's feeling of relief. The movie has its weaknesses, but it has plenty of strengths as well.
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 09, 2017, 12:18:40 PMNo more heart attacks. When Light kills, it's an accident with a knife, a decapitation, or something more dramatic than someone grabbing their chest and falling over.
Aw, I actually liked the heart attacks.

1) It shows that Light isn't a sadist; he sees these killings as executions.  And with executions, you want to do it as cleanly and efficiently as possible.
2) It's a method of killing that's difficult to distinguish from death by natural causes.  Initially, it was less likely to arouse much suspicion.

QuoteThe camera work was masterfully done as well, often reflecting the mood of the characters.  At the dinner table with his father, who this Light doesn't get along with, shots are all closeups to give the viewer an uncomfortable and claustrophobic feeling. Then when Light leaves the table, the camera pulls back to reflect Light's feeling of relief. The movie has its weaknesses, but it has plenty of strengths as well.
Well, that's good.  I'm now partially interested in checking it out.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 09, 2017, 12:18:40 PM
Turner is his last name, yes. He isn't Japanese anymore, so they changed his last name. But if you think about it, Light Yagami is an odd name too. "Light" is a random English word to use for a Japanese man. Yagami means "god," so his name is literally Light God. The name Turner was probably used to symbolize Light's loss of innocence and his descent into darkness.
I suppose I do have a bit of a double standard.  In anime, I can excuse bizarre names like Full Frontal or Allelujah Haptism.  In live action, I'm liable to crack up if someone's named Seymour Dickinson.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 09, 2017, 12:35:30 PMAw, I actually liked the heart attacks.

1) It shows that Light isn't a sadist; he sees these killings as executions.  And with executions, you want to do it as cleanly and efficiently as possible.
2) It's a method of killing that's difficult to distinguish from death by natural causes.  Initially, it was less likely to arouse much suspicion.

Actually, in the anime, Ryuk noted how Light always used "heart attack" as the cause of death. Light wanted his activity to be noticed, so he initially used the same cause of death so that the rising death toll would clearly be due to some new force. And since the increased heart attack mortality rates only affected criminals, people quickly attributed it to divine intervention and started worshiping Kira as a god. Unlike Turner, Yagami liked playing with fire too, purposefully making his connection to the police known so that he could get closer to L.

There isn't as much cat and mouse play in the movie, so don't go into it expecting that. While the original story is kind of a Sherlock vs Moriarty battle of wits between two ridiculously brilliant minds, the movie is something else, like it switched genres. Turner is book smart but he's street stupid, more like a real teenager. He also has a conscience. Unlike Yagami who would kill anyone who got in his way, Turner strictly only kills criminals. He does sort of change towards the end to be a little more like his anime counterpart, though.
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Light God = Lucifer.  Japanese folks not only borrow and repurpose Western words and names, they also borrow Western culture when it suites them.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.