News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I suppose Get Out had a political message, although it didn't strike me as an important one, because the characters and the plot were too insane to consider the whole thing as anything other than over the top comedy/fantasy.  I did think it was a sensitive topic, and I wondered how many people might be offended.  I wondered if Black people would be offended.  Members of the Aryan Nation?  I have no idea if they would be offended or delighted.

It was definitely a social commentary drawing from past injustices that still linger today that have been rekindled by a black president in the White House.  But it's still too over the top to take seriously.  When I left the theater, I didn't feel like I had been politically manipulated.  I felt no collective guilt or pity for the plight of others.  What I felt quite strongly was the sensation that I had allowed my brain to be fucked with and that I might have put myself in danger of losing some of my marbles by exposing myself to such insanity.  The only other time I felt this from a movie was when watching Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, but that was probably precipitated by the memory of a bad experience with LSD years before.

I shared the viewing of a midweek matinee Get Out with one other couple, who sat two rows behind me.  I left during the credits in a daze, but I stopped and looked at the couple who were watching me leave.  I just stood silently for a couple of seconds until they went from smiling to a look of questioning concern, and then I asked out loud, "What have I done to myself?"  They nodded and laughed like that made sense in the context of the film.

Munch

Maybe that's what I was missing, you need to be off your ass on LSD to find some other meaning in the movie
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: trdsf on July 15, 2017, 03:50:30 PM
Walk the Dark Street - a nothing of a movie, written and directed by the man who wrote Robot Monster (the one with the gorilla suit wearing a diving helmet) and an abysmal Alpha Video print, so only barely at 640x480... and blown up to the big screen.  A movie that has absolutely nothing to recommend it... but made wildly and hilariously entertaining by Trace and Frank.

Also, my brother and sister heathens, be proud: the idea for them to do this tour came out of their experience a couple years ago when they riffed live on 'God Is Not Dead' at an atheist convention.  :D
The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Skeleton_of_Cadavra
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

I watched Age Of Ultron last night (finally came on free).  It was "interesting".  Wanda and Pietro were well-presented.  I love Black Widow.  She described them "He's fast; she's weird".  I enjoyed the scenes where they showed Pietro in slo-mo watching an arrow or bullet passing along with him. 

I watched it in 2 parts over 2 nights.  I might have missed a few scenes. 

I liked the failure of Stark at first and his success the 2nd try with (I think) Jarvis personified.  I liked that the Avengers realized they had to work together to be freed from duty (though that will never really happen).  I liked that The Hulk set himself in stealth at the end. 

One thing that bothered me is that Hawkeye/Barton always has a full quiver of arrows in this movie.

I am annoyed that they seem to have killed Pietro.  I assume that will be corrected in some way.  Quicksilver is too good a character to lose.  Wanda and Pietro are actually mutants...

Ultron was a bi too human.  That may have been deliberate, but I thought a robot should be a bit less of that.  And I'm not sure what happened when Jarvis and broken Ultron combined at the end.

The coolest scene was when Jarvis lifted Thor's hammer.  I just went Uh, Uh, UH, wait a minute.  And later, was it Barton who asked "What if the hammer is on an elevator and the elevator goes up"?  Apparently, it goes up. which seems to violate the hammer rules.

The action was mostly over-the-top.  Even Captain America couldn't do most of the things he did in previous Avenger movies.  But one has to allow the willing suspension of disbelief.

I cracked up when Jarvis grew a cape...  Capes are bad things.  They get caught in things. 

Thoughts?

Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

QuoteI watched Age Of Ultron last night

I like the part where Ultron is first waking up: "This doesn't feel right.  I don't know what I am."  Sometimes during moments of awakening, he will have an insight.  It doesn't make any difference what it is.  He treats it like a "Eureka!" event, even if it's totally bonkers, as Drew would when he has a "religious experience."  He arrives at conclusions out of half baked thought parts and eventually makes himself into the ultimate annoyance.  He's almost loveable in his flawed and misguided delusions.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on August 31, 2017, 06:23:28 AM
I like the part where Ultron is first waking up: "This doesn't feel right.  I don't know what I am."  Sometimes during moments of awakening, he will have an insight.  It doesn't make any difference what it is.  He treats it like a "Eureka!" event, even if it's totally bonkers, as Drew would when he has a "religious experience."  He arrives at conclusions out of half baked thought parts and eventually makes himself into the ultimate annoyance.  He's almost loveable in his flawed and misguided delusions.

Yeah, I thought he was nearly religious!  Or maybe seeking it though not knowing what he was seeking.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2017, 06:36:28 AM
Yeah, I thought he was nearly religious!  Or maybe seeking it though not knowing what he was seeking.

Not being sure of who you are and what you are ... is part of religious experience.  Of course there are secular descriptions of everything.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on August 31, 2017, 07:25:15 AM
Not being sure of who you are and what you are ... is part of religious experience.  Of course there are secular descriptions of everything.
For Ulton, it was more similar to a new born becoming self aware, "Oh look, I an kick my feet, and when I bump those things that dangle above me, they make interesting noises.  Wow, I can make noises.  Oh wow!  I like making noises."  It was religious in the sense that it was self concocted and done without verifiable information.  Well, that's not completely true.  Ultron was created to be predisposed to someone else's needs.  But he had to learn those needs and internalize them as his own.  It was fun to watch the transformation from "blank slate" to periods of befuddlement, and finally to the illusion of self determination. 

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on August 31, 2017, 07:59:24 AM
For Ulton, it was more similar to a new born becoming self aware, "Oh look, I an kick my feet, and when I bump those things that dangle above me, they make interesting noises.  Wow, I can make noises.  Oh wow!  I like making noises."  It was religious in the sense that it was self concocted and done without verifiable information.  Well, that's not completely true.  Ultron was created to be predisposed to someone else's needs.  But he had to learn those needs and internalize them as his own.  It was fun to watch the transformation from "blank slate" to periods of befuddlement, and finally to the illusion of self determination.

Ultron did have some very interesting thoughts and internal struggles.  I thought, at first, he could be more. but then realized he was what he was.  I liked the idea that he was more "Starkish" in the middle of the movie and that Stark had to become less "Starkish" toward the end. 

Stark has a real martyr syndrome.  And I am still stunned that Jarvis could pick up Thor's hammer. 

aitm

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2017, 08:38:22 AM
And I am still stunned that Jarvis could pick up Thor's hammer. 

Jarvis being robotish with some human elements may meet the criteria for possession of the hammer. I forgot what is was, but perhaps he is pure of heart or whatever jibberish is the rule.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2017, 08:38:22 AMStark has a real martyr syndrome.
He really does.  He feels like it's up to him and him alone and if he can't do it and live, then he'll do it and die.  Stark lets others in somewhat, but he still maintains that mentality.

Cavebear

Quote from: aitm on August 31, 2017, 08:43:13 AM
Jarvis being robotish with some human elements may meet the criteria for possession of the hammer. I forgot what is was, but perhaps he is pure of heart or whatever jibberish is the rule.

Jarvis has no heart, but does have some rational ethics.  Thus a certain purity.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 31, 2017, 10:51:24 AM
He really does.  He feels like it's up to him and him alone and if he can't do it and live, then he'll do it and die.  Starks lets others in somewhat, but he still maintains that mentality.

One of the Avengers, and I forget which one, observed that Ultron had Starks ethics about "killing for the greater good".  "Stark" is named that for a reason.  He measures things mathematically.  He can lose one child for 10M adults. 

They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

And Stark does manage to save himself from his own instincts when things get hard...  If I could be one, guess who?

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2017, 11:31:14 AM
One of the Avengers, and I forget which one, observed that Ultron had Starks ethics about "killing for the greater good".  "Stark" is named that for a reason.  He measures things mathematically.  He can lose one child for 10M adults. 

They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

And Stark does manage to save himself from his own instincts when things get hard...  If I could be one, guess who?

Commander Data before the emotion chip ... beep, beep
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 30, 2017, 11:32:17 AM
The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Skeleton_of_Cadavra
I am long since familiar with that movie; I first saw it in '02 or '03, and have followed Larry Blamire's career since.  One still holds out hope he'll be able to get his 'Steam Wars' movie off the ground; his other genre parodies (Trail of the Screaming Forehead, Dark and Stormy Night and The Lost Skeleton Returns Again, and his mobster movie Johnny Slade's Greatest Hits) are all just as weirdly wonderful as LSoC.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan