News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on August 17, 2017, 01:24:35 PM
I have, though I can't say they made as much of an impression on me as Thieves' World did.  My main memory of Wild Cards is having our supers APA reviewed in Comic Buyers Guide #1000 and being compared favorably thereto.  :)

I'm not on the technical side of books and looking up APA didn't help me much.  A little info please?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Quote from: Sorginak on August 15, 2017, 04:49:37 PM
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
10/10, mainly due to the first five minutes with baby Groot dancing.
I've watched it in theaters three times so far.  I rarely watch a movie more than once.

I gave it a 10/10 and I stand by that score.  Even the end credits are pleasant.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on August 17, 2017, 03:43:07 PM
I'm not on the technical side of books and looking up APA didn't help me much.  A little info please?
APA - Amateur press association.  Essentially, a self-published magazine.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 17, 2017, 10:53:36 PM
I've watched it in theaters three times so far.  I rarely watch a movie more than once.

I gave it a 10/10 and I stand by that score.  Even the end credits are pleasant.
Three times?  That matches my personal best with Dr. Strange.  I did go see Guardians twice, however, which is the second most times I've seen the same movie in the theater.

I usually go to one movie a week.  It's such a habit that even if nothing special comes out for the week, I'd go anyway.  One week with nothing particularly uninteresting debuting, I decided to go see some tripe like "The Crooked Dormer Creep House."  But when I got there I realized I was going to be utterly bored, and Guardians II was still playing from two weeks ago.  On the spur of the moment, I realized that it would be far more entertaining than Creep House, and well worth seeing again anyway.

Guardians II will be out at the Red Box next Tuesday.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on August 18, 2017, 07:30:26 AM
I usually go to one movie a week.  It's such a habit that even if nothing special comes out for the week, I'd go anyway.
I go to the movies maybe 10 times a year. More if a family member drags me out there.  *sees the sunlight, hisses*  So three is big for me.

I usually just go for the big summer superhero blockbuster, an acclaimed sci movie, the latest Star Wars, and something from a francise that I already like.  I never go out on a whim and I'm prone to stay home when a promising movie gets a bad or mediocre reception.  I still haven't seen the latest Resident Evil and I always see those no matter how awful they are.

Baruch

Three times seen at theater ... only once ... 1977, first Star Wars movie ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on August 18, 2017, 07:30:26 AM
Three times?  That matches my personal best with Dr. Strange.  I did go see Guardians twice, however, which is the second most times I've seen the same movie in the theater.
The only movies I've gone to see more than once in a theater -- not counting Rocky Horror, of course -- are Jaws, all three Star Wars movies (anything made after A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi doesn't count IMO), Mystery Science Theater: The Movie, Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit, and Despicable Me.

Movies I would like to see in a theater again are 2001: A Space Odyssey and Fantasia.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit ... so funny I am still laughing years later.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Baruch on August 19, 2017, 01:27:39 PM
Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit ... so funny I am still laughing years later.

"May contain nuts."
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 20, 2017, 01:41:22 AM

"May contain nuts."
They got away with a lot in that movie.  Ah, British humo(u)r.

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on August 20, 2017, 09:04:40 PM
They got away with a lot in that movie.  Ah, British humo(u)r.

The British aren't a bunch of hypocritical Puritans.  They exiled them to my country.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

We watched 'The Martian' on the coach trip home.  Not bad.  Got ridiculous at the end.  The actual stranded part was interesting and fairly well done, the unnecessary and increasing complications on the way to the rescue broke my 'nope' meter.  Would watch the first half again, not so much the second.

Munch

got myself 'get out' today, dunno anything about the premise, but heard its terrifying and suspenseful, and some good acting.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on August 24, 2017, 07:47:43 PM
got myself 'get out' today, dunno anything about the premise, but heard its terrifying and suspenseful, and some good acting.
I particularly liked that movie a lot, not because it's terrifying and suspenseful, although that's there too.  I gave it high marks for creativity.  Every once in a while, Hollywood comes up with something unique, and sometimes it works.  When it does, it's refreshing to see something that isn't just a redo of the standard plot line written with the aid of a robot consultant.

Sorginak

Quote from: Munch on August 24, 2017, 07:47:43 PM

I personally didn't like it.  I was expecting it to be so wonderful, since everyone was creating this hype about it, but by the end all it got from me was a "meh".