News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Free Fire  8/10

I don't think this one made it to the theater, but if you're a fan of gunfights, you're gonna love this.  It's the weirdest gunfight I've seen in a movie, but somehow it struck me as believable, but in a really strange way.  I kept saying to my self, "Are these people all nuts?"   The plot for the movie is that a bunch of guys are in a gunfight.  That's about it.  No, really.  That's it.  I thought it was unique.  It could be a new genre in film.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on July 20, 2017, 06:33:28 PM
Free Fire  8/10

I don't think this one made it to the theater, but if you're a fan of gunfights, you're gonna love this.  It's the weirdest gunfight I've seen in a movie, but somehow it struck me as believable, but in a really strange way.  I kept saying to my self, "Are these people all nuts?"   The plot for the movie is that a bunch of guys are in a gunfight.  That's about it.  No, really.  That's it.  I thought it was unique.  It could be a new genre in film.

That would be cutting to the chase, if it was a car chase movie ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

caseagainstfaith

So, I'm the first kid on the block to see Dunkirk!  It is a good movie. And incredible filming.  Yet, at least for me, it wasn't as good as I hoped.  Or perhaps it wasn't quite as what I expected.  I was told that it would be draining and high tension.  And, there was moderate tension, and some moments of fairly high tension.  But, it wasn't as consistent high tension as I was expecting.  And, very little plot, though that much I understood.  Still a good movie but wasn't quite as good as I expected. 3.5/5
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Baruch

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on July 20, 2017, 09:20:21 PM
So, I'm the first kid on the block to see Dunkirk!  It is a good movie. And incredible filming.  Yet, at least for me, it wasn't as good as I hoped.  Or perhaps it wasn't quite as what I expected.  I was told that it would be draining and high tension.  And, there was moderate tension, and some moments of fairly high tension.  But, it wasn't as consistent high tension as I was expecting.  And, very little plot, though that much I understood.  Still a good movie but wasn't quite as good as I expected. 3.5/5

It is all in the directing and editing and intensity of the actors engaged in pretend.  Think the recent James Bond movies.  They make me constipated with tension ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on July 20, 2017, 09:20:21 PM
It is a good movie. And incredible filming.  Yet, at least for me, it wasn't as good as I hoped.
I only read one review out of a around 100, and it was pretty much what you report here.  The reviewer said he felt other reviewers over hyped it, and people would experience a negative reaction when their highest expectations weren't met.  He didn't diss the movie, and said it was worthwhile, just not great.

I've seen the same trailer 4 times at the theater in the last month, and my reaction each time was, "Gee, I hope the movie is better than this."  I'm going to see it tomorrow, and my expectations are not very high, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.  I'd be happy with that.

Baruch

Dunkirk - Part of the reason for seeing a historical movies, is for the history.  And war usually can't be described as entertaining.  The real thing is long boredom punctuated with terror.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on July 21, 2017, 06:46:43 AM
Dunkirk - Part of the reason for seeing a historical movies, is for the history.  And war usually can't be described as entertaining.  The real thing is long boredom punctuated with terror.
The average Joe does not realize that about war.  It is boring.  And when it is not, it is simply terror.  And when the action does start, it is so terrorizing that if in a well trained squad of 10, it is working it's best efficiency if 3/4 soldiers are firing at the enemy.  It is usually less than that.  In doing research, it is apparently the same for much of modern history.  War is boring.  Then when chaos hits, it is panic educing.    Even well trained soldiers panic at times.  It is not unusual for more soldiers in a typical squad to be moving away from the action than are firing at the enemy.  The war movies tend to not show what combat is really like.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on July 21, 2017, 11:24:27 AM
The average Joe does not realize that about war.  It is boring.  And when it is not, it is simply terror.  And when the action does start, it is so terrorizing that if in a well trained squad of 10, it is working it's best efficiency if 3/4 soldiers are firing at the enemy.  It is usually less than that.  In doing research, it is apparently the same for much of modern history.  War is boring.  Then when chaos hits, it is panic educing.    Even well trained soldiers panic at times.  It is not unusual for more soldiers in a typical squad to be moving away from the action than are firing at the enemy.  The war movies tend to not show what combat is really like.

Hollywood, except for the movie version of Red Badge Of Courage, romanticize everything, including war.  The Romans understood this ... you were on the front line for only minutes, then rotated to the back of the cohort, so fresh men could advance.  This way the front line was always fresh.  Barbarians throwing themselves on Roman steel (typically) didn't understand this.  Disciplined units fighting face to face ... that is the hard thing to beat ... early Roman forces weren't so disciplined, but they got better, and their opponents didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7MYlRzLqD0

Of course FPS games take all the boredom out, and edit the terror to be more interesting.
Mostly the British got to play targets, not shooters ... at that time.  Evacuating 300,000 men is amazing.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

War is long times on tedium broken by short bursts of terror.  Unless you control a drone from home. I would love to do THAT!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 22, 2017, 03:23:51 AM
War is long times on tedium broken by short bursts of terror.  Unless you control a drone from home. I would love to do THAT!

Says it all, doesn't it?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Dunkirk. 9/10

Dismal, terrifying, extremely nerve-wracking.

This isn't one of those idealized, upbeat war movies where the good guys kick Hitler in the nuts and then later have a pint together in a pub.  This is a movie where some asshole is taking potshots at a sinking ship and the survivors are desperately trying to avoid pissing their pants long enough to come up with some sort of strategy to get the hell out of there in one piece.

This isn't a war film.  This is a goddamn slasher film with the Luftwaffe as Jason Voorhees and every day is Friday the 13th.  People die in increasingly horrific ways.  Not for the faint of heart.

I looked up the historical Dunkirk and the movie seemed fairly true to life, though obviously dramatic liberties were taken.  Thankfully, the real deathtoll wasn't as gigantic as the impression given by the movie.  Out of 400,000 troops, 338,226 successfully evacuated.  It wasn't like everyone was getting blow away or strafed or drowning then crushed or burning while drowning (jeez).

I'd also like to point out that there was a Russian equivalent to Dunkirk which wasn't quite as miraculous and incurred much higher casualties (proportionately speaking)

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 24, 2017, 12:19:29 AM
I'd also like to point out that there was a Russian equivalent to Dunkirk which wasn't quite as miraculous and incurred much higher casualties (proportionately speaking)
We tend to focus on ourselves and our English speaking allies when thinking about sacrifices in WWII, but the Russians paid dearly with their lives, and took huge losses.  I put off seeing Dunkirk until tomorrow, when the "cheap seats" are available and popcorn goes on sale.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on July 24, 2017, 05:43:07 AM
We tend to focus on ourselves and our English speaking allies when thinking about sacrifices in WWII, but the Russians paid dearly with their lives, and took huge losses.  I put off seeing Dunkirk until tomorrow, when the "cheap seats" are available and popcorn goes on sale.

Enemy At The Gates didn't do Stalingrad justice.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Pretty much, although a significant number of Soviet losses were due to mismanagement from the top -- Stalin's own Great Purge essentially blew the brains out of the Soviet military, and many of those promoted to lead in the wake of that were proponents of traditional forms of warfare, even though World War I had definitively industrialized and mechanized war.

Even some of our English-speaking allies look askance at American claims of "winning" World War II.  The US came three years late to both world wars, and both the Battle of Britain and the Blitz were over before even the attack on Pearl Harbor, much less the actual involvement of any American troops.  In some of the BBC radio comedies from the 60s and 70s, there is a tendency to refer to American involvement in the European theater as 'having shown up late to help with the mopping up'.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Cavebear

I do not ignore the massive losses the Soviets paid.  I really pissed off some teachers saying that WWII in Europe was mainly fought in Russia.  If Hitler had just protected his Eastern Front and guarded the Atlantic coast, the Iron Curtain would have been German and have covered all of Continental Europe.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!