News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on July 17, 2017, 09:57:41 AM
As long as we don't acknowledge the third film. ;)

Now I blame that on the director, and casting agent for Eddie Brock/venom
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Munch:  Seriously, tobey maguire is still the best Spiderman

I agree.  Taking truth to the original comics out, and taking film as a stand alone medium, Tobey makes a better Spiderman, but of course this is all personal opinion.  The Amazing Spiderman didn't ring true for some reason; He may have been too old for the part to be convincing.  The third one acts well enough, but lacks a dynamic in his personality that doesn't excite me.  But Tobey might be too old himself now to play the role of a high school kid.  Besides that, I've heard he became difficult to work with, and apparently had some had some physical issue, or maybe he just got uppity.

And the third film of the original series somehow just went haywire.  Each of the villains on their own were good concepts, but together perhaps a bit too confusing.  Throw in a black fungus from outer space that turns Spidey into a generic dickhead bent on self destruction, and the focus of the movie is gone.  How much shit is Spiderman expected to deal with in one movie?  Peter becomes such a dick that the love interest in the plot is destroyed to the point where I hoped Peter and Mary Jane would never see each other again.  OK, that was the fault of the fungus, but Spiderman should have known better than to give into such an addiction. And when some of the issues get resolved as Hollywood knows they must, I had lost interest to the point where I didn't care what happened to any character in the film, including Spidey.

Munch

Oh I know, even in the third movie he was better then Andrew Garfield
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

There wasn't a third film.  There was the one with the Green Goblin then the one with Doc Ock then nothing until the Amazing Spider Man.

caseagainstfaith

I guess this will just prove how easy to please I am, but, honestly, I liked all of the Spiderman movies.  Even the much hated "third".  Was it as good as the first two? No, but I didn't hate it.

As to Garfield, he had more Spidey zingers. That was one of the things that people said the current Spiderman lacks.  And I loved Emma Stone as Gwen. Yeah, Rhino was corney, but, was a minor part.  Now, sure, I would rate the Garfield movies lowest of the three actors, but still good.  I can say there are things I liked and disliked about each.  But the current one had probably the most pluses.

Note that I never really read the comics. Maybe one comic maybe?  Not sure.  I'm sure I read at least some, but very little and I have no personal attachment to any of the comics.  I might feel different if I had more of an attachment to the source material.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

SGOS

Collateral Beauty  9/10

Strange, poignant, touching, and magical.  I had no clue what it was about and put off watching it for a long time, but it was a delightful surprise.

Will Smith, Helen Mirren, Keira Knightley, Kate Winslet, Edward Norton, Michael Pena, and Naomie Harris make up the core of the cast, so there's a lot of power right there.  Haven't seen Edward Norton in anything for a while, but the storyline in this one must have tempted him out of hiding.

Hydra009

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on July 17, 2017, 06:54:12 PM
I guess this will just prove how easy to please I am, but, honestly, I liked all of the Spiderman movies.  Even the much hated "third".  Was it as good as the first two? No, but I didn't hate it.
I actually kinda hated the second one.  I'm difficult to please.  There's one kinda good one (the 2002 one), one decent one (Amazing Spider-Man), and one very good one (Homecoming) according to me.

QuoteNote that I never really read the comics. Maybe one comic maybe?  Not sure.  I'm sure I read at least some, but very little and I have no personal attachment to any of the comics.  I might feel different if I had more of an attachment to the source material.
I read a few of them, but for some reason, it never really clicked with me.  It might be because I was already reading Darkhawk at the time, and they share an awful lot of similarities to each other.  Probably one of the reasons why Darkhawk ended up getting cancelled.

But I loved the Spider-Man animated TV show in the 90s.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on July 15, 2017, 07:06:15 PM
Spiderman homecoming.

Why is ironman such a dislikeable cock in this movie?

Iron man IS a dislikeable cock.  That's part of his character.  Like Thor is unsufferably godish, Hulk is randomly destructive, and Spiderman is angst-ridden. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on July 18, 2017, 04:05:50 AM
Iron man IS a dislikeable cock.  That's part of his character.  Like Thor is unsufferably godish, Hulk is randomly destructive, and Spiderman is angst-ridden. 
I think this describes it.  He wasn't any different around Spidey than he is 80% of the rest of time.  The original observation may have implied something like, "Around adults fine, but don't model that behavior in front of an impressionable kid.  He might think he's expected to act that way, especially when he adores you."

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on July 18, 2017, 04:55:06 AM
I think this describes it.  He wasn't any different around Spidey than he is 80% of the rest of time.  The original observation may have implied something like, "Around adults fine, but don't model that behavior in front of an impressionable kid.  He might think he's expected to act that way, especially when he adores you."

If Spiderman "adores" Tony Stark, I'm going to hurl...  He isn't that way.  He is just himself.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

According to an article I read, Ghost in the Shell lost 60M at the box office.  I liked it, quite a bit actually, but sometimes things flop.  It's comes out on DVD July 25th.  I'm going to buy it.  I can't even remember the plot.  I just remember cool high tech cityscapes that were a wonder to watch in 3D, and they may not be as interesting on my home theater screen.  But I must have liked more than just the imagery.

caseagainstfaith

I'm totally fucking psyched for Dunkirk!
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on July 18, 2017, 05:58:39 PM
According to an article I read, Ghost in the Shell lost 60M at the box office.  I liked it, quite a bit actually, but sometimes things flop.  It's comes out on DVD July 25th.  I'm going to buy it.  I can't even remember the plot.  I just remember cool high tech cityscapes that were a wonder to watch in 3D, and they may not be as interesting on my home theater screen.  But I must have liked more than just the imagery.

That's a shame. I heard the movie was a good adaptation of the anime. I haven't been out to the movies much lately, but I remember people complaining about the white washing of the main character. I wonder how many of those complainers would have seen the movie in the first place.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

I saw the new Spider-Man yesterday, and I have mixed feelings about it. It's a decent movie in its own right, but it's kinda slow getting started. Spider-Man is pretty incompetent in the movie. He's very much a rookie who hasn't even figured out how to web swing properly yet. And Jesus Christ, aside from Peter, none of the Spider-man cast is recognizable. People are constantly hitting on Aunt May (who doesn't act or look like the character), Harry and Gwen don't exist yet, Mary Jane isn't even referred to by that name until the end of the movie, and she's an awkward, creepy nerd. Flash is still a bully, but he's apparently a nerd now too. I dunno. I liked the Vulture, but the movie as a whole hasn't completely won me over on the new Spider-Man yet. It's definitely an improvement over Amazing Spider-Man, but Spider-Man 1 & 2 were better movies in my opinion, even if they were very goofy.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 20, 2017, 10:25:35 AM
I liked the Vulture, but the movie as a whole hasn't completely won me over on the new Spider-Man yet. It's definitely an improvement over Amazing Spider-Man, but Spider-Man 1 & 2 were better movies in my opinion, even if they were very goofy.
They are goofy, and of all the Marvel super villains, which can be goofy enough on their own, Tobey's Spiderman villains were the most ludicrous of the lot, and had a negative impact for me, although I still liked the Tobey Spiderman best of all.  Oddly, the Vulture didn't do much for me, even though he's a real person doing real business.  He was actually the kind of villain I wished for, not one so wonky and demented to be laughable.  After thinking about it, I should take that part of the movie as a blessing.