News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 28, 2017, 10:35:49 AM
Also, was Charlie really better than any of the other kids?  He screwed up, too. 
I caught that one too and always wonder about it when I watch the movie.  It seems he was relatively forgiven all too easily.  Years ago, my wife and I rented a motel on a Saturday night, because we were away skiing for the weekend.  Willy Wonka was playing on a local channel Sunday Morning, and we started watching it for the 4th time, commercials and all.  When it was over, we made it up to ski but is was just after noon, so we waited another hour and bought the half day ticket.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on June 28, 2017, 06:54:09 AM
Oddly, I noticed a local theater either had or is having one of those one time special showings of Willy Wonka.  I've only attended one special showing, the original Planet of the Apes, but I though about seeing Wonka at the theater, assuming it's the original.  I love that movie as embarrassing as it is to admit, and I can't even explain why.  I've decided it must all come down to Gene Wilder.  I don't think anyone else could make it work.  I'll bet Gene Wilder didn't think it would work.
There's not one damn thing embarrassing about loving that movie.  I saw it in the theater when it was first released, and I've loved it ever since.  I'd love to see it on the big screen again.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on June 28, 2017, 01:54:33 PMI caught that one too and always wonder about it when I watch the movie.  It seems he was relatively forgiven all too easily.
Or maybe the other kids were judged too harshly and written off when they could've realized their mistakes as Charlie did.

I've screwed up many times and if someone were to judge me solely based on that situation, I'd probably seem horrible.  But a scant time later I'm making amends and resolving to do things differently.  And later, I'm a very different sort of person, like Robert Downey Jr pre-Iron Man and Robert Downey Jr post-Iron Man.

I think about that sort of thing before I judge.  People are far too eager to condemn.  Especially people who know little.

Shiranu

Completely forgot about Pans Labyrinth, another absolutely excellent movie.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 28, 2017, 10:06:56 PM
Or maybe the other kids were judged too harshly and written off when they could've realized their mistakes as Charlie did.
That too.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 28, 2017, 10:06:56 PM

I've screwed up many times and if someone were to judge me solely based on that situation, I'd probably seem horrible.  But a scant time later I'm making amends and resolving to do things differently.  And later, I'm a very different sort of person, like Robert Downey Jr pre-Iron Man and Robert Downey Jr post-Iron Man.

I think about that sort of thing before I judge.  People are far too eager to condemn.  Especially people who know little.

In both the original movie and the remake, it's heavily implied that Willy Wonka purposefully put kids in situations where they were be tempted by their greatest weaknesses. Only those who would survive his trials would be considered as candidates for his successor. So did he intend for Charlie to be chopped up by that fan...? Seriously, the guy should spend the rest of his life in jail for purposefully endangering several children.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 29, 2017, 09:31:00 PM
In both the original movie and the remake, it's heavily implied that Willy Wonka purposefully put kids in situations where they were be tempted by their greatest weaknesses. Only those who would survive his trials would be considered as candidates for his successor. So did he intend for Charlie to be chopped up by that fan...? Seriously, the guy should spend the rest of his life in jail for purposefully endangering several children.

Apparently eating too much candy and chocolate induces psychosis ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 29, 2017, 09:31:00 PM
For all the bright colors, wonderful inventions, and dancing Oomp Loompas, that ghoulish aspect of the film provides a shocking contrast, but it's so over the top that it's entertaining.  Instead of acting like a psycho, Wonka remains light hearted and ecstatic in his odd pursuits: Woman loses her daughter swallowed up by a Wonkavention.  No problemo!  Life is too wonderful of an adventure in a chocolate factory to stop and mourn.  In fact, the Wonka attitude is, "Mourning does not exist in a chocolate factory.  There are no cares at all.  We do not care about death.  It's simply too much to bother ourselves with during the pursuit of fantasy."

I've never taken the time to actually analyze those dynamics of the movie before.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on June 27, 2017, 06:34:49 PM
Y'all are Fucking killing me here.
Quote from: Shiranu on June 27, 2017, 05:38:12 AM
I mean, it certainly wasn't as good as the first, and I might have been high when I saw it, but John Wick is basically an action movie taken to as close to it's pure form as you can get without making it just a constant fight.
Wick should have been dead in the first movie. At the Red Circle when he's fighting the best of the bad guys he gets slammed and take a few seconds to get up (I think it's on the balcony), during which time the bad guy could have shot him ten-fifteen times. Bad editing.

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter.

It isn't. 4/10
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on June 30, 2017, 07:59:37 AM
For all the bright colors, wonderful inventions, and dancing Oomp Loompas, that ghoulish aspect of the film provides a shocking contrast, but it's so over the top that it's entertaining.  Instead of acting like a psycho, Wonka remains light hearted and ecstatic in his odd pursuits: Woman loses her daughter swallowed up by a Wonkavention.  No problemo!  Life is too wonderful of an adventure in a chocolate factory to stop and mourn.  In fact, the Wonka attitude is, "Mourning does not exist in a chocolate factory.  There are no cares at all.  We do not care about death.  It's simply too much to bother ourselves with during the pursuit of fantasy."

I've never taken the time to actually analyze those dynamics of the movie before.

I believe there's a word for people like that.

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 30, 2017, 08:39:44 AMResident Evil: The Final Chapter.

It isn't. 4/10
I haven't seen it yet, but I've been told it should've been titled "Resident Evil: The Final Nail In The Coffin"

And not just that the story was bad (it apparently didn't pick up where the last one left off, among other problems), but it was bad on a technical level.  Shakey-cam with nausea-inducing rapid cuts.  The reviewers I've seen didn't like it at all.

I'll probably still see it anyway just to see for myself.

<--- potential Stockholm syndrome

SGOS

Spider Man: Homecoming   

starts Thursday night and is already at 93% at Rotten Tomatoes.  The last reboot apparently fizzled after its sequel, and even at that, the reboot itself didn't do much for me.  I'm not sure why.  It just didn't grab my attention.  But after 5 Spiderman movies, I'm ready for another attempt, and this one has a potentially interesting scenario, with a cast that would draw me to the theater no matter what movie they were in.  Spiderman is also one of the most interesting superheroes for me.  I like the fact that he's just a kid, fumbling with his powers and his high school relationships.  My one criticism is that his foils are always a little too strange and over the top, but it's a minor criticism, and unless something comes up, I'm going to the theater on Friday.

Just one randomly selected review from Rotten Tomatoes site.
https://www.timeout.com/london/film/spider-man-homecoming

Shiranu

QuoteWick should have been dead in the first movie.

Well, yeah, but he is the mother-fuckin' Neo.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

No more whiney super heros, please.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Baby Driver is suppose to be amazing as shit. Hopefully going to see it soon.