News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on June 19, 2017, 06:58:41 AMIf X-Men were a genre of it's own, Logan would be a different genre.
Yeah.  Some of the reviews praised how different it was from other superhero movies - one even implied that the other movies are just pablum for kids while Logan is a more "mature" story for adults.  I'm not sure what exactly was mature about it, except from drinking away one's problems and pushing people away.  Being "mature" sounds like a real blast.

Apparently, the pitch was to make a superhero movie for people who don't like superhero movies.  Not sure about the marketing wisdom in that, personally.

QuoteWe could invent another genre, one called the "old man protecting young girl on perilous journey" genre.  I call this a genre, because I've seen it done several times.
Same here.  Many, many times.  Probably too many times.  But I've seen it done better and with Wolverine.  He's often put in that sort of role.  This one didn't really work.

You know what I really could have gone for?  The Cable/Hope one - the Messiah Complex story.  Now that was a good "old man protecting young girl on perilous journey" story.  Someone needs to adapt that after Cable is introduced to moviegoers in Deadpool 2.

trdsf

Went to the annual Smithee Awards on Thursday (MegaMeta Smithees) and Friday (26th Annual (regular) Smithees).  I always have a great time; the movies are for the most part of the "so bad it's good (or at least hilariously awful)" calibre.

It's pretty sad when on a year by year basis, I find the so-called 'bad' movies infinitely more entertaining than the shit Hollywood foists on us.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on June 19, 2017, 01:04:43 PM
Went to the annual Smithee Awards on Thursday (MegaMeta Smithees) and Friday (26th Annual (regular) Smithees).  I always have a great time; the movies are for the most part of the "so bad it's good (or at least hilariously awful)" calibre.
Any favorites?

The list at the website has Doghouse, which has a familiar face from Doctor Who - Noel Clarke.  Poor guy. :(

trdsf

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 19, 2017, 06:56:40 PM
Any favorites?

The list at the website has Doghouse, which has a familiar face from Doctor Who - Noel Clarke.  Poor guy. :(

Yeah, that was very much not a good movie; I don't remember seeing Noel in it, though.

They haven't posted the 'winners' yet and my checklist from the voting is at home.  I can cobble together a list then; it'll refresh my memory.

Now, next year is the first UltraMegaMeta Smithees -- there are now five MegaMeta "winners", and we're going all the way back to the beginnings of the Smithee Awards to see who's the mostest awfulest (so far).  And that's going to mean the return of several Ed Wood classics from the early years.  Although Hard Rock Zombies is gonna be really difficult to beat in 'Worst Premise'...
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Megan Leavey 7/10

Recommended for dog people.  Bomb sniffing German Sheppard connects with female Marine handler.  I'm not really into the Sheppard, but it held my attention, and was enjoyable.

Gawdzilla Sama

The extended version of "Dune" was directed by Alan Smithee. Had to have it for my Smithee collection.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 23, 2017, 01:28:45 PM
The extended version of "Dune" was directed by Alan Smithee. Had to have it for my Smithee collection.

Still sniffing Spice? ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Cheating as usual:

RWBY Volume 4 came in my mail the other day. It blows my mind how much they continue to improve the animation with each passing volume. Jen Taylor is also playing an actual character now instead of just being a mysterious narrator; the evil mastermind, to be precise. There's also a new Grimm pulled out of some rather obscure Scottish mythology. I won't give it away, but god damn that thing's scream gave me nightmares.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SGOS

Transformers:  The Fallen

No rating.  I'm not even going to see it.  I was impressed with the first movie, so impressed that I went to all the rest, except for the current one.  Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 15%.  The clever story telling in Film #1 was replaced by machines bashing each other.  Bashing machines were an important aspect of the first movie to be sure, but along with a well thought out story, there was a definite need for the bashing. 

So based on the entertainment provided me in Film #1, I kept going to the rest of the films looking for the franchise to regain a footing.  While anything can be possible, within limits, I've developed a mindset that another good Transformers movie is unfortunately impossible.  It's like it simply can't be done as if some law of the universe dictates this.  OK, it could be done, but Hollywood seems to be determined not to allow it to happen, and they have the power to insure that it won't, and you can't argue with Hollywood when they set their mind to something.

While I'm obviously a big fan of film, I usually don't care what Hollywood puts out.  If they put out a stinker, it's no skin off my nose, but I have to honestly confess, that somewhere around Transformers III, I really wished with all my heart that Hollywood would stop making Transformer movies, not because I cared about what Hollywood does or the franchise itself, but that I seemed to have lost all self control and was buying tickets to the Transformers because of an irrational desire that they would stop getting progressively worse.  It was deranged compulsive behavior which I think I have finally cured.  Specifically, I have just accepted the fact that there will never be another Transformers that I can stay awake through.  It was so bad at the last one, that I fell asleep while still holding a half a box of popcorn.  I woke up somewhere in the middle with popcorn spilled all over my lap.  I brushed if off and went back to sleep.

Blackleaf

Quote from: SGOS on June 24, 2017, 01:09:13 PM

No rating.  I'm not even going to see it.  I was impressed with the first movie, so impressed that I went to all the rest, except for the current one.  Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 15%.  The clever story telling in Film #1 was replaced by machines bashing each other.  Bashing machines were an important aspect of the first movie to be sure, but along with a well thought out story, there was a definite need for the bashing. 

So based on the entertainment provided me in Film #1, I kept going to the rest of the films looking for the franchise to regain a footing.  While anything can be possible, within limits, I've developed a mindset that another good Transformers movie is unfortunately impossible.  It's like it simply can't be done as if some law of the universe dictates this.  OK, it could be done, but Hollywood seems to be determined not to allow it to happen, and they have the power to insure that it won't, and you can't argue with Hollywood when they set their mind to something.

While I'm obviously a big fan of film, I usually don't care what Hollywood puts out.  If they put out a stinker, it's no skin off my nose, but I have to honestly confess, that somewhere around Transformers III, I really wished with all my heart that Hollywood would stop making Transformer movies, not because I cared about what Hollywood does or the franchise itself, but that I seemed to have lost all self control and was buying tickets to the Transformers because of an irrational desire that they would stop getting progressively worse.  It was deranged compulsive behavior which I think I have finally cured.  Specifically, I have just accepted the fact that there will never be another Transformers that I can stay awake through.  It was so bad at the last one, that I fell asleep while still holding a half a box of popcorn.  I woke up somewhere in the middle with popcorn spilled all over my lap.  I brushed if off and went back to sleep.

The Nostalgia Critic had a history of reviewing every Transformers movie, but this time he did an "unreview." That is, he reviewed the movie without even watching it. I'm willing to bet it was very accurate too.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on June 24, 2017, 04:10:12 PM
The Nostalgia Critic had a history of reviewing every Transformers movie, but this time he did an "unreview." That is, he reviewed the movie without even watching it. I'm willing to bet it was very accurate too.
I had to look up Nostalgia Critic, who I had never heard of, and I found that review.  He mirrored my sentiments exactly, although with a lot more theatrical flair.  I can't believe Michael Bay actually said, "It doesn't matter to me if you don't like it.  You are going to go see it anyway."  Clever comment?  Maybe.  Offensive?  Definitely.  Talk about treating your target audience like a bunch of morons.  That did it for me.   I can't resist a challenge like that.  I'm not going to see this film.  And now when the DVD comes out, I'm not even going to rent it.  Michael Bay, fuck you right back at ya.  OK, so you don't care.  I don't care that you don't care.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on June 24, 2017, 01:09:13 PM

No rating.  I'm not even going to see it.
What about The Last Knight?  Arthurian legend + transforming robots from outer space.  Makes sense to me.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 24, 2017, 08:41:25 PM
What about The Last Knight?  Arthurian legend + transforming robots from outer space.  Makes sense to me.
Actually, that's the one I meant.  Well, err, whatever the current one is.  It's all just a jumble. 

aitm

I asked the wife is she wanted to watch anything, she said no, so I told her I was going to watch a mindless drivel of bloodletting and violence...you know...a bed time show.

John Wick 2..holy jabberwocky and ice picks to the testicles...what a load of crap! This fucker kills about 439 peeps in an insane rolling frolocking high spirited bullet flying blood splattering martial arts laden, super secret spy handshaking, assassin obligated honor coded behind the back stabbing hell hole of glory. Got damn that is some bad shit! One has to climb a ladder to get to -100....holy shit on a shingle.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Well, you always were the cerebral type.