News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Moana - 7/10

Touchy-feely-goody-two-shoes movie. Amazing how they were able to navigate through and avoid all the nasty stuff in the real world. The dumb chicken was a constant reminder of this.

Shiranu

That dumb chicken is actually her brother.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Shiranu on June 09, 2017, 08:04:58 AM
That dumb chicken is actually her brother.
DID YOU JUST ASSUME THAT CHICKEN'S GENDER, YOU FUCKING SHITLORD!?

/s
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Baruch

If you hear a cackle then it is a hen.  Not one cackle, has to be a rooster ... the god guy can change form ... he isn't the chicken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsKMIwD-Bt8
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mummy-tom-cruise-needs-get-back-acting-1011529

QuoteAfter roughly 40 films made across 35 years, Tom Cruise has starred in notably few absolute stinkers. Sure, Cocktail, Vanilla Sky, Lions for Lambs and Knight and Day were pretty bad but, by and large, he's maintained a pretty good batting average. Certainly nothing he's ever done before compares in its absolute awfulness to his latest, The Mummy. As we fled the screening the other night, my son quipped that we had just witnessed the collision of the Hindenburg and the Titanic, while my first thought was that the film should go directly to its proper home on Mystery Science Theater 3000.

I'm not going to see this at the theater, because of the rotten reviews, and because I haven't really enjoyed any of the Mummy movies in the last 20 years.  I thought the original Boris Karloff Mummy was very good when I was a kid, but what surprised me here was that the list of Tom Cruise stinkers included Vanilla Sky. 

I thought Vanilla Sky was very good.  While Critics gave it a 42% on Rotten Tomatoes, audiences gave it a 72%.  I would have given it 80% because I thought it was highly creative, although that was mostly the director and writers.  The long interwoven interviews with the main character in that prison cell did drag somewhat, and I thought the movie would have been better without any of them.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on June 09, 2017, 09:09:17 AM
DID YOU JUST ASSUME THAT CHICKEN'S GENDER, YOU FUCKING SHITLORD!?

/s

No, Polynesian folklore did.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Shiranu on June 09, 2017, 05:01:24 PM
No, Polynesian folklore did.
I should have known. Kamehameha is always a dick to me in Civ 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aitm

I liked Night and Day....sometimes peeps overthink this shit. Its a movie, fall in with the fantasy and try to have fun. Even the worst is still better than "swamp people" wtf is going on?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

aitm

"Had" to watch the new Beauty and the beast.....meh.....the cartoon version was better.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Munch

So its finally happened, the gay community did something that made me cringe :S

I've seen and supported a lot from it, though not really been part of 'the community' for a while, but I've always backed it being gay myself..

Until today :S

They took this.

And did this to him..

Its like turning marilyn manson into the face of the Disney channel unironically

Then again this comes from buzzfeed so no surprise there
https://www.buzzfeed.com/tomvellner/i-am-babashook?utm_term=.lvjy32Y3w#.lvjy32Y3w
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Munch on June 12, 2017, 05:51:05 AM

I've seen and supported a lot from it, though not really been part of 'the community' for a while, but I've always backed it being gay myself..

They took this.

And did this to him..

Its like turning marilyn manson into the face of the Disney channel unironically

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tomvellner/i-am-babashook?utm_term=.lvjy32Y3w#.lvjy32Y3w

I'd still fap to it.

Hydra009

Logan.  4/10.  Yes, I'm serious.

I went to this movie wanting to like it.  I truly did.  Everyone I know online who saw it liked it.  It has a score of 93 with critics and 91 with the audience on Rotten Tomatoes.  This is a beloved movie.  Generally, the crowd doesn't steer me wrong, at least when it comes to movies.

Imagine my shock at having a completely different take-away.  I feel like I've been taking crazy pills.

Allow me to explain.

I didn't really care about any of the characters (I'm on record as generally not liking Wolverine, but I don't dislike him to the extent of disliking everything he's in.  He was pretty much the only character I even mildly cared about this time around).

The plot was an extremely predictable.  We're talking MacGuffin and Chekov's bullet stuff.  Really hacky stuff.  I just read an issue of Old Man Logan to try to compare.  The comic was far more impressive.

I love blood and gore as much as the next guy, but god damn, seeing dozens of face-stabbings was just downright unpleasant.  I dunno why.  Deadpool was pretty bloody as well but it was somehow way less off-putting.

Was the movie supposed to be a political allegory?  Because I got a big immigrant/refugee crisis vibe while watching it.  Just curious if that was the intent.  There was also a Fury Road / Terminator vibe but in a bad way - like most of the movie was one drawn-out chase scene that just didn't jell correctly.

I wasn't moved one bit by any of the deaths because I know they'll return later on.  Death is cheap when it comes to Marvel characters.

But the thing that really poured salt into the wound was Logan dismissing comic books as "icecream for bed-wetters".

WTF.

I know they're going for a gritty, realistic feel and Logan would have a pretty cynical take on the idealism of superhero comics, but this just came across as a mean-spirited insult to their fans.  It'd be like a wrestler in the square circle telling wrestling fans that wrestling is fake and they're idiots for thinking otherwise.  And not just any wrestler, but John Cena and to a crowd including children with leukemia.  And strangely enough, there's actually a kid in the movie with a Wolverine action figure who seems to directly contradict that bed-wetter assertion, so it's an insult that refutes itself.

Also, I scoured the web for Eden, because I figured that comic would be the one good thing to come out of this bad movie.  Doesn't exist.  Made up just for the film.  Mucho disappointment.

[spoiler]Dramatis personae:

Logan (aka Mr Frustrated).  Perpetually put-upon.  Moody.  Kind of an asshole.  Memorable quote: "Shit."  Has an undiagnosed medical problem that is brought up but apparently never addressed.  (Cut content?)

Professor X (Taco Bell spokesman and guy putting demands on Logan like an asshole)  May be an actual asshole.  Power:  Mindquake AoE that just happens to go off at an extremely opportune time.  *feigned shock and surprise*

Arya with knives for hands.  Screams.  Rips out hearts.  Screams in Spanish.  Poster child of muscles are meaningless.

Caliban.  ???   Hates cleaning up blood and reacts about the same way as me to direct sunlight.  Aside from that, this guy is utterly unknown to me.  Did they explain who he is and what he wants before the movie and I just missed it or something?

Man with bionic hand.  ???  Name: ?  Goal:  wants the girl.  No wait, that's an objective.  What does he actually want?  Haven't the foggiest.  Qui-Gon Gin was a more fleshed-out character than this guy.  Francis from Deadpool was a way more compelling villain than this guy.  The chicken from Family Guy was a more compelling villain than this guy.

All the other characters are all just a blur of blood and viscera.  So out of 5 characters, I know jack about 2 and really dislike the remaining 3 in different ways.  I think one of them may have actually had something approaching a character arc.  And it's not that one, it's the other one.  Yeah, the Prof.

All in all, a pretty bad showing in the character department.[/spoiler]

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on June 12, 2017, 05:51:05 AM

They took this.

And did this to him..

That's hilarious.

Sal1981

Logan is quite the shitfest of a movie.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 19, 2017, 12:20:44 AM
Logan.  4/10.  Yes, I'm serious.
I went to this movie wanting to like it.
If X-Men were a genre of it's own, Logan would be a different genre.  It doesn't follow the theme of an assortment of mutants working collectively to fit into a hostile society.  We could invent another genre, one called the "old man protecting young girl on perilous journey" genre.  I call this a genre, because I've seen it done several times.  I've seen it enough times that it's starting to get stale, and Logan would have been better had it been done earlier.

If you wanted to introduce a newcomer to the X-Men, Logan wouldn't be a good place to start.  It's just one strange guy doing something else, and the newcomer would ask, "Why to they call Logan the X-Men?.  He's just one guy.  The X-MAN maybe, but then why do they also call him the Wolverine?  I get Wolverine.  He has claws and a testy disposition.  But the X-Man?"

The question might be how well does Logan do the "older man guiding younger girl on perilous journey" shtick?  And by the time I get that far into the analysis, I'm confused about what's supposed to happen in an X-Men movie.  My focus is lost, and it's like I'm deducting points from the Exorcist because it's not a very good romantic comedy.