News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Sal1981 on May 25, 2017, 03:37:42 PM
Exactly how does time travel work anyways?
You can spin counterclockwise at the speed of light.
You can slingshot around the Sun in a Klingon ship.
You can fold space/time and do the burrito jump.
You can sit in an overstuffed chair with a throttle, blinking lights, and a spinning colander thing behind you.

There are probably other ways too.  It's actually not that hard.

Shiranu

My Wonder Woman hype is getting too real.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on May 26, 2017, 11:00:21 AM
I've gotten a really pleasant visceral experience from the trailer I saw.  I'm looking forward to it with a lot of anticipation.  Since Guardians II, there has been kind of a dry spell at the theaters for me.   

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on May 26, 2017, 11:00:21 AM

If you prefer Wonder Man ... then that is OK too ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Beauty and the beast, starring Emma watson.
The GF and I've been working on our house a lot as of late and decided to make some time for ourselves and go to the cinema.
I wasn't too excited about this. I'd have prefered Alien Covenant, but I'll be seeing that with my dad most like and besides, the gf wouldn't have enjoyed it one bit, I'm betting.
Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by the film. It was great for what it was. And it was clear a lot of love and passion and respect for the classic went into this one. Also the first flick with Emma Watson I've seen that doesn't feature her as a witch. It was nice to see she's more than a one-trick pony. Hoping to see her in more films.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Watched previews of B & the B ... but I like musicals and fairy tales.  A beautiful young woman always turns my head ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

aitm

Logan..though I admit I watched it with just as many pee breaks as I would if it was a show about peeing, I was not all that into it. So it was somewhat captivating but because quite simply.....I paid 3 bucks for it so........meh
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: SGOS on May 26, 2017, 09:51:15 AM
I liked the first one, but the franchise went from unique to stale after that.  Surely, Johnny Depp can find better things to do.

I know that is the general consensus among most movie viewers.  For me, when I watched the first, sure, I liked Johnny Depp's character.  Yet, most of its jokes just didn't work for me.  The second one, well, it often felt excessively drawn out and could use some editing.  Yet, more of the humor worked for me.  So, overall, I'd say I liked the second one better.  Never saw 3 or 4.  No interest in seeing 5.  Not anymore anyway.  The trailer actually looked good.  And a couple of early reviews I saw were mostly positive.  So, I though, well, maybe I'll see it.  But now that consensus is that it is even worse than before, I'll pass.

As far as Depp finding better things to do.... well, I certainly remember the day when he eschewed "blockbuster" type movies, wanting to be more of an "artist".  Ancient history now, eh?  It seems he has gotten addicted to an extravagant lifestyle that would have made Michael Jackson say, "reel it back a notch, dude".  Meanwhile, moviegoers seem to have gotten tired of his shtick.   And Pirates will surely have lower box-office than previous installments. It has grown tired.  And yet, I suspect, he can still get a bigger paycheck doing more Pirates than about anything else.  So, expect more Pirates movies...
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

SGOS

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on May 27, 2017, 10:21:20 PM
As far as Depp finding better things to do.... well, I certainly remember the day when he eschewed "blockbuster" type movies, wanting to be more of an "artist".  Ancient history now, eh?
I guess you could call him an artist (he does have a lot of talent, and he can be very convincing), but early on, I thought of him as a marginal actor because he was always playing quirky characters that most actors would shy away from.  Now, I think he actually sought those roles out. 

The first time I stood up and took notice of him was in the movie, Blow.  He played such a convincing role as a drug runner that I thought he was some new actor I had never seen before.  Then I saw his name in the credits at the end of the movie, and I couldn't believe it was Johnny Depp.  I kept thinking he was out of character playing a serious role, and didn't even look like Johnny Depp because he wasn't wearing some weird clownish outfit with his face painted, and that was when it dawned on me that he was really a serious actor.  I don't know why he messes around so much with the odd ball stuff.  Just his thing, I guess. 

Remember Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas?  I didn't know it was him until the end of the movie either, but in that film, he was pure quirky.

Baruch

I enjoyed the new Wonder Woman.  Of course that come as no surprise to some of you.  I think the woman cast for the part ... she is poured into her outfit ... is a very good pick.  Sorry, no hints, you will have to see it for yourself.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

I thought I posted a 10/10 rating for Wonder Woman. I wonder if I put it in the wrong thread.  Good movie.

aitm

Just saw it tonight. Really enjoyed it and the gal is smokin hot. Fun movie, 10/10 from me as well.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

And even if she wasn't smokin' hot, she would still be downright loveable.  Of course smokin' hot doesn't hurt either.

SGOS

Last I looked, Rotten Tomatoes rated Wonder Woman at 93%.  Not sure how they compile their data, but I think it means 93 our of 100 critics give it a thumbs up, because some critics don't assign a numerical rating to their review.  So I'm guessing that someone at Tomatoes reads each review and sorts the thrust of each review into the fresh category or the rotten category.  Wonder Woman had 16 reviews judged as negative and labeling WW as "rotten" out of a total of 228.

I was curious what a rotten review would look like, so I read three of the negative reviews.  I didn't read all the negative reviews because there were 13 pages of reviews, some pages having no "rotten" rated review at all.  What I found was that the critics considered to have given WW a negative rating seemed to like the movie, and usually seemed to like it a lot, often offering generous praises with perhaps one area of minor criticism, so someone at Tomatoes was reading a seemingly generous review as negative.  At any rate, a mathematical computation used to arrive a percentage seems heavily influenced by a subjective opinion about what is someone else's subjective opinion to begin with.

Everything doesn't translate well into math.  I still think Tomatoes is the most helpful rating site out there.  It considers a large number of reviews, and actually prints each of the reviews.  There is one site; I can't remember it's name, but it claims to be a theater exit poll, which has the built in bias of only interviewing people who wanted to see the movie.  In addition, it uses an ABCDF grading system, but only gives out As, Bs, and Cs, with rare exceptions for anything below that.  And I usually disagreed with that site more that Rotten Tomatoes or IMDb.  I'm guessing it's funded by the movie industry.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on May 23, 2017, 10:48:52 PM
How did you fuck up your quotes so bad that you got SGOS' statement being attributed to me?
Great skill and utter determination, of course.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers