News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 22, 2017, 08:56:59 AMIf you're familiar with Groot's history you'd find his current incarnation rather odd.
Yeah, but the invader Groot isn't necessarily the same individual as the GotG Groot.  I believe the alternate origin story where GotG Groot was exiled from his homeworld and eventually became Rocket's bodyguard/BFF.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 22, 2017, 10:00:46 AM
Yeah, but the invader Groot isn't necessarily the same individual as the GotG Groot.  I believe the alternate origin story where GotG Groot was exiled from his homeworld and eventually became Rocket's bodyguard/BFF.
Just saw the backstory in a Youtube, so I'm sure you're more correct about this.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: Munch on May 22, 2017, 03:02:20 AM
Funny thing with the star wars prequels, how could anyone not have predicted there creation, when the original movies were episodes 4, 5, and 6? It was a forgone conclusion Lucas would want them made eventually.

Yeah, the idea of there being a full set of 9 movies was much talked about back in the '80s.  But after so many years past, it seemed like they were never going to happen. When they actually did happen, I was surprised even though I knew they had been planned, at least at a time.

After the prequels finished he said, yeah, he talked about episodes 7-9 back in the day, but, he never really had full stories fleshed out and just wasn't going to do them.  And so it looked like 7-9 would never happen, until Disney bought Lucasfilm.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: Shiranu on May 22, 2017, 12:53:49 AM
I like Prometheus and will like covenant, but it's just a fatigue thing. Some things are just suppose to end, and alien after this prologue is over is one of those things. You don't just get tired of seeing the new, knock off feeling things... you get tired of the entire brand.

People always say, gee, why doesn't Hollywood do anything new?  Thing is, new things are always a higher gamble.  We can look at flops, and people will say, "well, they flopped cuz they sucked".  That may be, but lots of sucky things also sell.  Its just hard to predict what will sell when looking at new properties.  You make a Star Wars movie, you know you are going to make a billion.  You make a Star Battle movie and maybe it makes a billion, or maybe it makes ten bucks. And the "Star Battle" might be just as good or better.  But its not Wars.

You can predict to a fair degree how much you can expect at the box office with a known property.  Not always of course.  Known properties sometimes tank.  But, you have higher degree of predictability.  And if you are investing dollars, you like predictable returns.

If everybody went to a couple a movies a week, new properties and old properties, you wouldn't have as many sequels.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Hydra009

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on May 22, 2017, 11:00:26 PMPeople always say, gee, why doesn't Hollywood do anything new?  Thing is, new things are always a higher gamble.  We can look at flops, and people will say, "well, they flopped cuz they sucked".  That may be, but lots of sucky things also sell.  Its just hard to predict what will sell when looking at new properties.  You make a Star Wars movie, you know you are going to make a billion.  You make a Star Battle movie and maybe it makes a billion, or maybe it makes ten bucks. And the "Star Battle" might be just as good or better.  But its not Wars.

You can predict to a fair degree how much you can expect at the box office with a known property.  Not always of course.  Known properties sometimes tank.  But, you have higher degree of predictability.  And if you are investing dollars, you like predictable returns.

If everybody went to a couple a movies a week, new properties and old properties, you wouldn't have as many sequels.
I agree with that to a certain extent, and I could understand Hollywood pushing franchises pretty hard.  But Hollywood has since taken that to a whole new level.  It's like pushing pine needles into solid titanium.  And that's with outdated info.  I'd love to see an updated version and see what's changed since then.

And this strat isn't working.  I've seen projections of up to 10% slump this year compared to last year.  And one of the reasons offered is franchise fatigue.  Nowadays, I brace for terrible reviews whenever I see new sequels coming out (with the notable exceptions of Marvel and Star Wars).  I see a wretched parade of franchises that used to be glorious (or at least passable) get all the life sucked out of them with one terrible sequel after another.  Shambling and chained shadows of what they once were: Resident Evil, Pirates of the Caribbean, Underworld, Terminator, etc.  I also see stuff that never struck me as any good inexplicably still very much alive: Transformers, Alvin and the Chipmunks, 50 Shades of Grey, the Fast and the Furious, etc.

As a child, I used to see stuff get cancelled and wonder why it couldn't survive.  Now I see stuff still alive and wonder why it can't die.  *coughTheSimpsonscough*

And besides, I don't buy this argument that putting out original stuff is too risky.  No other creative industry (books, music, tv, video games, etc) seems to be quite as originality-averse as Hollywood.  Case in point, Netflix has been trying out a bunch of original content and it's been working out pretty nicely for them.  Apples to oranges comparison maybe, but imo shows like Stranger Things could've just as easily been a movie, provided there was anyone at Hollywood willing to give it a shot.  Same with Westworld.  Or Breaking Bad.  How many smash hits has Hollywood let slip through its fingers?  How many authors have smash hits in their hands that'll never come to pass?  Meanwhile, we have brilliant stuff like the emoji movie getting the green light.

Baruch

India is the movie capital of the world.  Bollywood.  America needs to pull its head out of its ass.  Exceptional?  Not.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/box-office-alien-covenant-underwhelms-with-36m-debut/

Aliens is the most popular new opening now.  I'm thinking about seeing it just for something to do.  But I've never been a big fan, and the opening hasn't exactly set the box offices on fire.  The alien series have been marginally interesting to me, but not in very creative ways.  Prometheus kept my attention by the stupidity of the characters who when instructed not to touch anything start touching things which of course unleashes horror.  But it's the old horror scenario, where they guy tells the girl to stay in the room, and don't open the door, so of course she has to leave the room to go look for the guy after 30 seconds.  It makes me wonder how that guy managed to disappear in such a hurry.  The house certainly can't be that big, but he's not around for the next 10 minutes as the girl opens every door in the house and then ends up going down into the basement for reasons that can only be explained by an unconscious death wish.  It's like she's never seen a horror movie before, and makes all the obvious mistakes.

I do give kudos for the opening scene in Prometheus, although I've never figured out how it relates to the rest of the movie, but the scenery is both wonderful and eerie and creates a visceral experience which I can't explain.  But the end that dresses up Guy Pearce in old man skin is so unconvincing that I leave feeling gipped, like I've been watching a stage play.

But it's raining today, and I kind of need to get out of the house, and the popcorn is always good at the theater.  But I haven't decided if I want to take the drive yet.

Hijiri Byakuren

Finally watched Rogue One yesterday. It was alright.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SGOS

Alien 7/10
Better than I thought it would be.  Creepy as always.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on May 23, 2017, 01:42:58 PM
I do give kudos for the opening scene in Prometheus, although I've never figured out how it relates to the rest of the movie, but the scenery is both wonderful and eerie and creates a visceral experience which I can't explain. 
Ridley Scott has said that's Earth, "way back when."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on May 23, 2017, 09:35:56 PM
Ridley Scott has said that's Earth, "way back when."
How did you fuck up your quotes so bad that you got SGOS' statement being attributed to me?

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on May 23, 2017, 01:42:58 PM
Finally watched Rogue One yesterday. It was alright.

I really enjoyed the movie, even though a few scenes didn't really make any sense. And seeing the reminded me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agcRwGDKulw
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 24, 2017, 11:29:19 AM
I really enjoyed the movie, even though a few scenes didn't really make any sense.
Well it's Gareth Edwards. He's the master of making hit films that make no sense; just look at his Godzilla movie.

Sal1981

Looper (2012) - 7/10

Exactly how does time travel work anyways?

SGOS

Pirates of the Caribbean.  30% on Rotten Tomatoes (11 points higher than Baywatch). I think I'll pass this time.  I liked the first one, but the franchise went from unique to stale after that.  Surely, Johnny Depp can find better things to do.