News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I think the standards for PG-13 may have changed since the inception of ratings, although there was something startling about Drax's dick comment to me also.  It might be that he's referring to an actual body part, as opposed to one of my favorite lines from the first movie, where John C Reilly is relating a message from Quill to the Novacorps Administrator:

Nova Prime: "Do you think we can trust him?"

Corpsman:  "Well,... yes,... I do.  He wanted me to relate to you,... and I'm quoting him here,... 'that while I might be an asshole, I'm not one hundred percent, a dick.'"
Which for some totally illogical reason, Quill seemed to think would convince the administrator of his sincerity.

And then of course, the fact that the sequel may have even surpassed the original, gives me hope that failure does not have to be a defining quality of a sequel.  A good premise, if given some thought, can work a second time.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on May 14, 2017, 07:13:08 AMI think the standards for PG-13 may have changed since the inception of ratings, although there was something startling about Drax's dick comment to me also.  It might be that he's referring to an actual body part
He was.  He doesn't (normally) use metaphors, so his comment is 100% literal.  He stated that it's normal in his culture to talk openly and directly about sex.  He finds it strange that Quill considers it a taboo subject.  Perhaps that's a message intended more for the audience than Quill.

aitm

I watched LaLa Land....s'okay. I had been drinking a bit all day so I had more than one run to the potty and several to the fridge and a couple to the cubboard for some "kettle style" popcorn. If I missed anything it didn't seem like I did....so....probably something in there that says something.....  ..
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Hydra009

One last thing about Guardians of the Galaxy 2:

^ Still image from the trailer.  In the actual movie, Groot is not wearing a uniform in this scene.

LITERALLY UNWATCHABLE.

Munch

But that would have put time out of joint, unless lil'groot can time travel and break the forth wall
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

caseagainstfaith

Alien Covenant:  Hard to rate.  I think I will give it a 7/10.  I did find it enjoyable to watch.  And, as most reviews point out, Fassbender's dual role is the best part of the movie.

I didn't know it until after seeing the movie, there are at least two "prologues" you can see.  One is called "The Last Supper" which is actually a scene cut from the movie that would have been in the beginning.  It shows the characters on the Covenant before it launches.  Gives more character backstory.

Then there is another "The Crossing" which includes Noomi Rapace's Dr. Shaw.  At the end of Prometheus, David just had a head.  In "The Crossing", we see Dr. Shaw repairing David.

I found it fun to watch.  But, you know too much of what is going to happen.  When crew members get infected, what is going to happen?  Well, duh!  Burst out of course.

Then, at the movie's conclusion, there is a "plot twist" that there should be literally zero people watching the movie not see coming.  I guess you are supposed to see it coming. But then why make it as if it is a "twist".

Not everybody is thrilled with the new mythology.  Eh, I find it kind of interesting.  I'm okay with it.  But, does seem overly convoluted.

Scott has said he wants to make several more Alien movies.  Not sure if the box office will support his dream.  He has said what he wants to make next is Alien Awakening which would actually take place between Prometheus and Covenant.  That's right, he wants to make a prequel to a sequel of a prequel.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Shiranu

Fuck :(. Alien is alien... Just let it exist as the masterpiece it is instead of cashing in on it and ruining the franchise.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Angry Joe called it another George Lucas situation (creator drives his/her franchise into the ground with bad installments)

Is he being too harsh?

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: Shiranu on May 21, 2017, 10:48:56 PM
Fuck :(. Alien is alien... Just let it exist as the masterpiece it is instead of cashing in on it and ruining the franchise.

I saw the original in the theater when I was in high school.  Personally, I've never understood the idea that new movies somehow "ruin" other movies.  If you don't like the new ones, fine.  How does that change the old ones?  Further, it doesn't seem like a "cash grab" to me.  I don't fully understand Ridley Scott's newfound reattachment to the franchise.  But they haven't been huge hits and he can probably make more money making other films.  I don't fully understand it.  But not a "cash grab" as far as I can tell.

There have indeed been many criticisms that exploring the origin isn't necessarily a good idea. Obvious comparisons to Star Wars where it seems clear that learning the origin of Darth Vader was not the wisest course for the franchise.  Personally, I think the origin of the aliens is somewhat interesting.  Though, I do think it is has been excessively muddied with all the alien-ish aliens that aren't *the* alien.

Bottom line is, I enjoyed Prometheus and Covenant even if they could have been better.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 21, 2017, 11:47:53 PM
Angry Joe called it another George Lucas situation (creator drives his/her franchise into the ground with bad installments)

Is he being too harsh?

I noted in my reply to Shiranu that there certainly are parallels.  The Star Wars prequels and the Alien prequels are origin stories that some might say that were better left as mysteries.  So, yes, there are parallels in the two franchises.  But I damn sure would rather watch Prometheus than The Phantom Menace!  And rather watch Covenant than Attack of the Clones.

Shiranu

I like Prometheus and will like covenant, but it's just a fatigue thing. Some things are just suppose to end, and alien after this prologue is over is one of those things. You don't just get tired of seeing the new, knock off feeling things... you get tired of the entire brand.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Funny thing with the star wars prequels, how could anyone not have predicted there creation, when the original movies were episodes 4, 5, and 6? It was a forgone conclusion Lucas would want them made eventually.

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on May 22, 2017, 03:02:20 AM
Funny thing with the star wars prequels, how could anyone not have predicted there creation, when the original movies were episodes 4, 5, and 6? It was a forgone conclusion Lucas would want them made eventually.

At the time of the second Star Wars ... there were magazine articles interviewing George Lucas ... that clarified ... that there would be three prequels and three post-quells  ... the only surprise being how long it has taken for him to get them out.  The prequels were supposed to be released 1983 - 1987 and the post-quells 1989 - 1993.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

If you're familiar with Groot's history you'd find his current incarnation rather odd.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on May 21, 2017, 10:48:56 PM
Movies aren't sacred.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers