News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 23, 2017, 08:24:09 AM
Let me know after you watch it. "What the actual fuck" was my end reaction.
And that too?  Can't believe I missed it.  I sometimes enjoy those WTF? movies.  Only if it gives me a feeling that I'd understand it if I could give it enough thought.  If it's too far beyond my grasp, well then it just ends up in the flop category.

Munch

newest power ranger movie looks interesting.

[spoiler][/spoiler]
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

The Girl With All the Gifts  8/10  84 on Rotten Tomatoes 

This is a horror film, not my favorite genre as I've said before, but this one is an interesting British movie.  It didn't play in local theaters, but it just came out on DVD.  I think it's best watched without reading a review or watching a preview.  I saw it cold, and my first reaction 10 minutes into the film was wondering if I could handle that much creepy suspense, or if I should just stop watching it.  There is no understanding of what's happening at first, but it all becomes clear in short order, and that adds a great deal of interest.  It has an ending I would have never anticipated.  Gemma Arterton, if you can get past her high level of "babe appeal," happens to also be a good actress. 

A couple of times, I thought a couple of things were over the top, which was kind of odd considering the nature of such films are pure fantasy to begin with, and pretty much everything is clearly over the top, anyway.  Halfway through, the creep factor dies down to a manageable level, or maybe you get sensitized to it, but the suspense remains as the story progresses.  I give it high marks for taking an old concept and working out a new twist with an interesting overall plot.

I can't really say much more without wrecking it, because the suspense is an important part of the story.  I would recommend not eating while watching, or at least have an empty bucket handy.  Well, OK it's not that bad by today's standards.  Just trying to give a heads up without saying too much.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on April 24, 2017, 11:40:02 AMnewest power ranger movie looks interesting.
From the reviews I've seen, it doesn't look very good, sorry to say.  There's a shitload of product placement and there's only a small amount of martial arts or mecha combat, and that's at the very end.  Pretty disappointing, especially for fans of the original show.

It's a shame, because I saw that gritty reboot trailer and I would totally be down for something like that.  Maybe not *that* gritty, though.  Maybe a bit less rated R and a little more PG-13.  But I'd still keep it action-oriented.

One thing that was weird about the movie is that the Rangers have powers in their human forms.  My memory is pretty fuzzy, but I don't remember it being like that for the TV show.  They're just normal kids who happen to be expert martial artists, always dress in their personal color, and have an exceptionally diverse circle of friends.  Pretty typical 90s stuff.  But they only get powers when they transform or "morph" into those skintight suits because otherwise they'd would need to transform to fight putties and other lowlevel mooks.

Munch

Tbh, what can they really do with a concept like power rangers. What made the original show appealing was how campy it was doubled with the awful acting. Rita was the best thing on the show because she was loud and flamboyant. Bulk and skull also had their moments. Take away that campy and hookey aspect, and it loses any of the charm.
It's like when they tried to reboot he-man in the 90s, what made he-man so popular was the campy humour and goofy animation cycles, remove that and it just doesn't have the appeal.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Sorginak

My sister liked watching the Power Rangers when we were younger, but I never got into it.  I thought it was dumb. 

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on April 26, 2017, 08:42:07 PMTbh, what can they really do with a concept like power rangers. What made the original show appealing was how campy it was doubled with the awful acting. Rita was the best thing on the show because she was loud and flamboyant. Bulk and skull also had their moments. Take away that campy and hookey aspect, and it loses any of the charm.
It's like when they tried to reboot he-man in the 90s, what made he-man so popular was the campy humour and goofy animation cycles, remove that and it just doesn't have the appeal.
I was definitely in it for the sentai battles.  I could take or leave most of the campiness.  But the teenager slice of life stuff was grating to me even when I was a teenager.  Bulk and Skull were pure cancer, imo.  I would've cut all their scenes, burned the negatives, and pissed on the ashes if I were in charge.  No offense.

It'd wager that a less hokey, more serious, more action-oriented version with a bigger budget could be a big hit.  There have been shows that made that transition successfully: the 1990 TMNT movie, G.I...no, not that...Transf...*vomits*.  Okay, so there's kind of a mixed bag.  But there's a chance it could work.

Hydra009

Quote from: Sorginak on April 26, 2017, 09:27:13 PM
My sister liked watching the Power Rangers when we were younger, but I never got into it.  I thought it was dumb.
It was.  But it was a really entertaining kind of dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwtSqopGJag

trdsf

The Power Rangers Movie made for some great bot-fodder when we were doing our own fan MSTings.

Also, if you can find the parody "Dynaman" anywhere, well, enjoy the rampant silliness.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

aitm

I was running a masonry crew building Wal-Marts in texas back in the late 90's. One of the laborers, who was also one of the owners only son would walk around with a stick in his belt pretending to be a power ranger while he was working. A lazy useless fuck-off he was 20 and still playing power ranger? His goal? To be a cop....I told him to please let me be his reference any time he needed, just have them call me and I will put in a good word for him. He was really excited....luckily he never made it past the initial psych test to reach the level of needing a reference...good lord that kid would killed the first person he walked up to...bona-fide nut job.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 23, 2017, 08:24:09 AM
Let me know after you watch it. "What the actual fuck" was my end reaction.
Just watched it (Under the Skin).  Yeah, that was about as indecipherable as the average David Lynch Film.  It was a karma flick without a point, I guess. It did hold my interest, however.

Sorginak

Movies I want to watch, but cannot find the time to watch:

Rogue One
Hidden Figures
Ghost in the Shell
A Dog's Purpose
Get Out
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Cavebear

Anyone watched the new Samurai Jack series?  It was originally good but now improved.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 30, 2017, 06:50:11 AM
Anyone watched the new Samurai Jack series?  It was originally good but now improved.

Thanks for reminding me.  The Scotsman is my favorite character other than Jack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOQ_OsXyfaw

Now that is the way to avoid nursing home ;-)  Not that I want to actually use the 5 foot broadsword I stash behind the front door ... and I only have one daughter to defend!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?