News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on April 19, 2017, 09:36:32 AMAs a side note, I seem to remember Chris Pratt may have got his start playing a very dull and mostly unimportant role as the boyfriend of Pam in The Office.  I haven't looked it up, but I think that was him.
Parks and Rec and April's Boyfriend, but otherwise correct.  I haven't watched the Parks and Rec, but I've heard that he plays a goofy character quite popular with fans of the show.

QuoteIt was really a nothing role, and at the time, I thought of Pratt as a nothing actor destined for a short career in film.  It must have been hard for him to contain himself by just sitting on his talent.  I'm happy he was able break out of that character and make it big.  Today, I would watch any movie he is in without even bothering to read a review.
Same.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 19, 2017, 10:32:29 AM
Parks and Rec and April's Boyfriend, but otherwise correct.  I haven't watched the Parks and Rec, but I've heard that he plays a goofy character quite popular with fans of the show.
I was thinking The Office, but it was this guy:

David Denman

Not this guy:

Chris Pratt

Draconic Aiur

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on April 19, 2017, 10:32:29 AM

Parks and Rec is like a funny The Office, and April Ludgate and Andy Dwyer are goals.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

sneek pics of Jason Momoa off set of Aquaman

Doesn't matter if DC films have been doing bad lately, I'm gonna this movie just for them abs
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on April 19, 2017, 09:25:02 AM
How nude?
Completely, standing nude in front of a mirror, inspecting the "skin" mentioned in the title. She seems bemused...

Actually, she's hot, but not insanely hot.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on April 20, 2017, 08:13:38 PM
sneek pics of Jason Momoa off set of Aquaman

Doesn't matter if DC films have been doing bad lately, I'm gonna this movie just for them abs
That is a very odd-looking swimsuit.  A triangular tessellation pattern that just happens to match his tattoo, which just happens to match his aquaman promo shoots.  Interesting...

AllPurposeAtheist

No particular movie, but I do like older movies made from between the 1930s and the 50s.. There's one youtuber currently uploading a lot of older British films, eh44returns. Most are along the genres of noir and mysteries,  a few spy thrillers, but generally high quality films worth watching.  If you have streaming capabilities such as Roku, etc., and can watch YouTube on your television so much the better.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Sal1981

Rogue One - 8/10

Pretty good overall Star Wars story.

Munch

Although this isn't one I've only seen recently, I thought it was interesting to bring up. An article on tumblr popped up talking about one of the latter scenes in Mulan, and how looking back on it now had some interesting outlook on the characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYAVVkEg4xo

What they found thought provoking, was how thoughout the movie, Mulan, as a woman in china, lived with the constant reminder that she's a woman, she's weaker then all male counterparts, she wasn't allowed to join the army in her aging fathers place, so posed as a boy in order to get accepted into the army. When she was found out she was a girl, her own soldier friends abandoned her, and it took some heroism at the end to shift peoples minds about how a woman can be a strong as a man.

But in the scene above, when mulan faced against the main antagonist, Shan Yu, when he realized who she was, it just didn't seem to matter to him that she was a woman, she simply was the soldier who caused the death of hundreds of his soldiers, and he just didn't seem to care one way or the other of her gender.
The huns apparently faught alongside women in the wilds of the homeland to survive, and even Genghis Khan appointed his own daughters to generals in his army, the women of mongolia were in a much more powerful status (while not perfect, the past never has been), then the women of china were.

So in a strange way, the way Shan Yu regarded Mulan as just another soldier regardless of her gender makes him more of an interesting character then first thought, and I kind of wished the movie delved more into this, the contrasts between the huns and china in how it treated its own.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Chinese women, with bound feet, can't march very well ;-(

http://ancientstandard.com/2011/06/17/the-real-story-of-mulan/

Mongolian women are no joke ... falcon hunting is for sissies, real Mongols use golden eagles ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfi5JS6HTH0

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on April 21, 2017, 04:39:05 PMBut in the scene above, when mulan faced against the main antagonist, Shan Yu, when he realized who she was, it just didn't seem to matter to him that she was a woman, she simply was the soldier who caused the death of hundreds of his soldiers, and he just didn't seem to care one way or the other of her gender.
Villains are typically more progressive than the heroes.  Captain Goody-Two-Shoes might never hit a woman, but villains typically have no such compunction.  Villains are more likely to want to change the status quo compared to the heroes (though this is reversed when the villain is in charge and the heroes are rebels).  Villains also slightly more commonly build coalitions - alliances across otherwise uncooperative racial/national lines.

Villains are just heroes ahead of their time.  The mad scientist of the 19th century is the innovator of the 21st century.

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on April 20, 2017, 09:39:44 PM
Completely, standing nude in front of a mirror, inspecting the "skin" mentioned in the title. She seems bemused...

Actually, she's hot, but not insanely hot.
That might be the only Scarlett Johansson movie I've missed.  And it's sci-fi with high score from Tomatoes.  I can't imagine how that one got by me.

SGOS

Founder 8/10
Biographical account of the founding of the McDonald's Empire.  Just a very interesting movie.

Miss Sloane  10/10
Political drama that has a somewhat familiar feel.  But I had an intense visceral response to the story, which is why I gave it a 10.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on April 23, 2017, 07:14:35 AM
That might be the only Scarlett Johansson movie I've missed.  And it's sci-fi with high score from Tomatoes.  I can't imagine how that one got by me.
Let me know after you watch it. "What the actual fuck" was my end reaction.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers