News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorginak

I finally got around to watching A Monster Calls.

I enjoyed it.  5/5

It is a stronger version of Graham Joyce's The Tooth Fairy in which a young boy is dealing with life's issues while he goes through puberty. 

Sorginak

A Cure For Wellness

I was not clear on the vitamin part, even at the end, but overall it was an engaging movie.

5/5

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Sorginak on April 01, 2017, 04:01:26 PM
A Cure For Wellness

I was not clear on the vitamin part, even at the end, but overall it was an engaging movie.

5/5
I saw the trailer for that movie. It looks compelling, but too intense for me.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Sorginak

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on April 01, 2017, 05:15:23 PM
I saw the trailer for that movie. It looks compelling, but too intense for me.

It does deal with an intense moral and ethical issue, but that is what makes it such a great film. 

Sorginak

One recently new movie I will not watch is The Shack.

Here is a little backstory regarding my knowledge of this movie:

I was in the library, stalking the shelves for an interesting book to read, and I am the type of individual to check every single shelf and read the titles to discern if I want to read it based upon title alone.  If the title interests me, I look at the book and read the description regarding the book.  I have spent hours a day in the library searching for a good book.

I digress, however. 

One day I happened upon The Shack.  I picked it off the shelf and read the description.  It was very vague.  It certainly seemed interesting.  I even went back to that book days later to look at it again to see if I was still certain I did not want to read it.  Something told me to not read it.

I never did read it.  I left it on the shelf where it belonged.

Recently the movie was made in relation to this book.  Certainly, the movie trailer seemed interesting.

I decided to do a google search regarding the book, and I discovered that it was written by a Christian Canadian and then it all made sense.

It made sense why I did not want to read the book and it makes sense why I will not watch the movie.

Baruch

Quote from: Sorginak on April 01, 2017, 07:14:46 PM

I was in the library, stalking the shelves for an interesting book to read, and I am the type of individual to check every single shelf and read the titles to discern if I want to read it based upon title alone.  If the title interests me, I look at the book and read the description regarding the book.  I have spent hours a day in the library searching for a good book.

I digress, however. 

One day I happened upon The Shack.  I picked it off the shelf and read the description.  It was very vague.  It certainly seemed interesting.  I even went back to that book days later to look at it again to see if I was still certain I did not want to read it.  Something told me to not read it.

Recently the movie was made in relation to this book.  Certainly, the movie trailer seemed interesting.

I decided to do a google search regarding the book, and I discovered that it was written by a Christian Canadian and then it all made sense.

It made sense why I did not want to read the book and it makes sense why I will not watch the movie.

Excellent self awareness.  I think you are ready for one-on-one with Drew.  Try not to make him cry too much ;-)

Saw 1 minute of the trailer for The Shack.  Definitely won't watch.  I am a father myself.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Fantastic Beasts and where to find them, I liked it. A nice little fantasy with enough drama to keep it interesting and enough wizardry to keep you smiling. Fun little film. 8
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: Sorginak on April 01, 2017, 07:14:46 PM

I digress, however. 

The classic original Exorcist movie I understand was written by a priest or ex-priest or something like that.  So the authorship isn't necessarily a big deal.  I know nothing about The Shack, but I'll research it before for I decide to see it or not.  If it's just another Christian pap smear, I'll avoid it because those bore me to death.

Munch

Newest trailer for Thor Ragnarok out. Honestly, it felt weird, like they are going for the same spin guardians of the galaxy did.. but this is thor, so seems they are just picking up on GotG popularity maybe?

Thor without his long hair is kind of off putting, but the trailer gave me one thing that made me giddy with delight.

Cath Blanchett as Hela is such an awesome cast choice!

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Sorginak

Quote from: Munch on April 11, 2017, 05:29:47 PM
Newest trailer for Thor Ragnarok out.

Thor just bores me now.  It happens when they make too many sequels. 

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: Sorginak on April 11, 2017, 05:39:30 PM
Thor just bores me now.  It happens when they make too many sequels. 
There are 54 years of stories to draw on for Marvel's Thor. Expect the "sequels" to continue.

Sal1981

5th Wave - 3/10

More plot holes and wishy-washy acting and performance and subpar CGI than you can shake a stick at.

Solomon Zorn

Finally watched Star Wars: Rogue One. I thought it was outstanding. I'd say it's the best Star Wars movie since Empire Strikes Back. Exactly what a prequel should be. 5/5

aitm

Hidden Figures. Good show, but it could easily have been a three part if they would have followed up on the accomplishments these women did. When one reads the (can't think of the word for the paragraphs of follow up info following the end) "credits" of the women, it is then you finally understand what they went on to accomplish. Good story.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on April 16, 2017, 10:24:06 AM
Hidden Figures. Good show, but it could easily have been a three part if they would have followed up on the accomplishments these women did. When one reads the (can't think of the word for the paragraphs of follow up info following the end) "credits" of the women, it is then you finally understand what they went on to accomplish. Good story.

Good counterpart to the oldie-but-goodie ... The Right Stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElzIPn1pXWE

I have touched an Atlas missile, and met a couple of astronauts.  But the cosmonauts were first.  This used to be a great but flawed country.  We need to realize we still are.

The engineers wanted the test pilots to approach but not cross the sound barrier.  This was a bad aerodynamic idea ... being at, but not across the sound barrier, causes massive airframe vibration.  The test pilots died.  It took Chuck Yeager to say ... "F the engineers" and just go ahead and cross it.  A matter of trusting one's ability to pilot, and abundant courage (not lack of fear).  And when he did it, he had broken his ribs the day before, in horse riding accident ... but climbed in the X1 and rode it anyway.  If the flight surgeon had known, he wouldn't have let him fly that day.  He had to use a sawed off broom handle, to close the hatch, before he dropped from the carry plane, because he hurt to much otherwise.  When people heard a sonic boom for the first time, they assumed he had died.  The X1 developed into the X15, which went to the edge of space and one of the last people to fly one, was Neil Armstrong.  We lost some X15 pilots too ... the thing had 1 million pounds of rocket thrust.  The sound barrier is Mach 1.  To achieve orbit, you have to go at least Mach 10.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.