Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 16, 2017, 09:24:44 PM
Thanks a lot.

You should have as well, in case someone hadn't seen the other posts.  I had missed Munch's post until you quoted it.  But, I guessed as much from Sorginak's post.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on March 17, 2017, 03:17:49 PM
You should have as well, in case someone hadn't seen the other posts.  I had missed Munch's post until you quoted it.  But, I guessed as much from Sorginak's post.
Oooh, I didn't think about that. Very sorry.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

Shiranu

Logan too long? I watched it high (time felt 3 times longer than it really was) and I wish it was a bit longer, flesh out some of the fight scenes a bit more.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on March 16, 2017, 08:00:26 PM
Haven't watched Kong, but out of curiosity I would ask you if the size of the island and the size of Kong would suggest that after 5-10 years of roaming the area would leave quite a wide swath of path destruction....was that part of the film or was it like a completely whole jungle where they "dropped" a massive gorilla into the middle of it?
Interesting and worthwhile question.  Especially without seeing the film.  The same question niggled at the back of my brain too.

etienne

I just watched a great documentary entitled, "The Life, Times, and Genius of Karl Marx", on the History Channel..........

Haha, fooled ya, they would never produce a movie on Marx--that was accurate, anyway-- it would be Un'Murican to do so.  They just focus repeatedly on Hitler and WWII, because Murica is more like Hitler and they like it that way.
The Revolution does not fall like an apple when it is ripe:  you have to MAKE it fall...

Baruch

Quote from: etienne on March 17, 2017, 10:05:07 PM
I just watched a great documentary entitled, "The Life, Times, and Genius of Karl Marx", on the History Channel..........

Haha, fooled ya, they would never produce a movie on Marx--that was accurate, anyway-- it would be Un'Murican to do so.  They just focus repeatedly on Hitler and WWII, because Murica is more like Hitler and they like it that way.

Correct, you make my point about the Matrix once again.  It is hard to tease out what happened, even in my own lifetime, let alone what happened before that.  Good bios are interesting books/programs though.  Any summary, even of an individual, is necessarily cursory, even if not biased.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

The girl who leapt through time.

Sure its like 10 years old but first time I seen it, and I gave it a go after seeing the boy and the beast, same guys who made that.

It was.. alright, it had several of the young love teen anx tropes you find in most anime love stories, plot was kind of forgettable for the most part, and left a bittersweet take on things at the end. The animation was gorgeous, especially the backgrounds. Nothing bad, just nothing amazing either. In a funny way, the boy and the beast at the same bittersweet ending, so I wonder if this studio is in the habit of making stories like that with every film.

7/10
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Munch

Watched Wolf Children.

this is probably one of the best anime's I've seen in years, the only other is the boy and the beast, but while that movie was fun, adventurous and high action, this movie had me weeping.

Like the last one I said, this animation in this is beautiful, the backdrops are stunning, colorful, and miyazaki levels of detailed. Actually, this whole movie had that feel of miyazaki to it, emotional depth of characters, scenes that just build on them in everyday settings, something wonderous but played as second to the characters own every day lives.

The only problem I feel it had, which is a personal peeve of mine but doesn't detract for those who would enjoy it, is the theme of overly deep teenagers who act like they carry the weight of the world on their shoulders. it was just in the beginning of the movie, but it passed and the characters grew, the main character especially. And hoo fuck, this one had some heart breaking moments in it, not gonna say what though.

If you were a fan of movies like howls moving castle, spirited away, grave of fireflys and laputa castle in the sky, give this one a watch.

9.5/10
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Priceless 2/10

Mexican women sold into slavery to pay a father's debt.  Supposedly based on real events.  I stopped the movie halfway through because I was starting to get the idea it was going to be Christian propaganda.  It had all the earmarks of an angry loser accidently on his way to finding the Lord.  Yeah, it was more about the guy than the women sold into prostitution (The women were deeply religious and found the Lord long ago and were praying for the guy that smuggled them into the country (he didn't know what was in the truck)).  I looked it up on Rotten Tomatoes, and sure enough.  It was a faith based movie for the righteous, but with the premise cleverly hidden in the rental description.  That was most offensive to me.  I felt manipulated into having a pitch for the Lord slid at me sideways.  Movies will eventually start needing a "F" rating for "For the Faithful" or something.  Really, they should warn people about this shit.

There were only 4 reviews at Rotten Tomatoes with 1 tomato and 3 splats.  Should have looked it up first.  I didn't finish the film.  Besides offending me, it was the typical marginal acting and cheesy writing typical of faith based films.  They really should come with a warning.

Sorginak

Don't watch The Arrival, then.  The major twist at the end is very faith based.  It pissed me off that I wasted my time watching what was a good movie only to discover what I did at the end. 

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: aitm on March 16, 2017, 08:00:26 PM
Haven't watched Kong, but out of curiosity I would ask you if the size of the island and the size of Kong would suggest that after 5-10 years of roaming the area would leave quite a wide swath of path destruction....was that part of the film or was it like a completely whole jungle where they "dropped" a massive gorilla into the middle of it?

I haven't seen it, but me thinks you need a large dose of "suspension of disbelief" when viewing this kind of genre...  By physics we know that size of animal is impossible.  And, there are tons more plot holes.  Like he would need a massive amount of food.  And imagine how much Kong shit there would be.  Do they ever show Kong even just taking a leak?
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on March 23, 2017, 05:44:49 PM
I haven't seen it, but me thinks you need a large dose of "suspension of disbelief" when viewing this kind of genre...  By physics we know that size of animal is impossible.  And, there are tons more plot holes.  Like he would need a massive amount of food.  And imagine how much Kong shit there would be.  Do they ever show Kong even just taking a leak?

And remember, he is an ape.
I'd imagine he'd fling around those humongous droppings too.
They could probably take down helicopters.

I imagine the pilot shouting out: "Brace for impact! Shit!"
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

All sci fi requires suspension of disbelief, although really good sci fi requires less.  I don't have a problem suspending skepticism in sci fi and fantasy, or anything Hollywood does for that matter.  It's an escape that I enjoy.  Just remember to go back to normal when the show is over.

aitm

I think it would far more "scary" to be walking through the jungle and stumble out into a large torn up path with turds the size of small cars......I think every body in the "party" would pretty much turn around and "boot-scoot" the fuck outa there.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on March 23, 2017, 09:06:40 PM
I think it would far more "scary" to be walking through the jungle and stumble out into a large torn up path with turds the size of small cars......I think every body in the "party" would pretty much turn around and "boot-scoot" the fuck outa there.
Big ass thundering monsters like Kong, Godzilla, and T Rex, are fun because of their overwhelming size, mad beasts gone wild and stomping on humans.  But the ones that creep me out have always been the small ones that easily hide in the shadows or behind things.  I remember seeing a movie one time with monsters the size of garden gnomes.  They would scurry about in the dark.  They slipped a drug into a woman's drink, and had to work together just to drag her semi conscious body down the stairs into their hiding place in the basement, where they could mutilate her while she was still alive.  That was a real creeper.

Like the old adage, "Size is not what counts."  Sometimes it's true.