News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Christopher Nolan likes to make scenes that are cool or "deep," rather than flowing together as a proper narrative. Just look at Alfred. He's like a walking inspirational poster every time he's on screen.

Still the best live action Batman I've seen, though, with a Joker who set the bar for every Joker who will come after. Heath Ledger's Joker was so amazingly perfect.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

Quote...with a Joker who set the bar for every Joker who will come after. Heath Ledger's Joker was so amazingly perfect.

*cough cough* Mark Hamill *cough cough choke choke oh god I'm dying*
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Shiranu on August 11, 2016, 01:54:22 AM
Seriously. Heath Ledger's Joker was a great character, but it was a horrible Joker. Hamill was amazing. The best. Even Cesar Romero's was very, very good. I'd say his is 2nd

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 11, 2016, 12:14:14 AMStill the best live action Batman I've seen, though, with a Joker who set the bar for every Joker who will come after. Heath Ledger's Joker was so amazingly perfect.
Mark Hamill would like a word with you.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

SGOS

Heath Ledger plumbed the depths of evil more than any other.  I think he was the best because he was such a unexpected but widely welcomed surprise.  He breathed new life into the customary character not at all intended in the original comics.  The original Joker was more of a prankster Joker that fit well in a comic book.  Ledger created a very realistic horror Joker.

Everything about the Batman legacy since the original comic had comical qualities about it befitting a comic book.  That included the TV series and all of Hollywood's attempts to recreate him.  But Batman Begins introduced a more serious and somewhat more believable Batman.  One of the first criticisms I remember hearing about Batman Begins was that it was too dark and heavy.  But I don't see that as a weak point as much as a difference in tastes.  And a less comicky Batman Begins needed a less comicky villain.  Ledger nailed it, not necessarily because Ledger was so good, although I think he was.  He just created an appropriate Joker for the new Batman.

Munch

Quote from: PickelledEggs on August 11, 2016, 02:10:07 AM
Seriously. Heath Ledger's Joker was a great character, but it was a horrible Joker. Hamill was amazing. The best. Even Cesar Romero's was very, very good. I'd say his is 2nd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTkFeNKAW8s

This scene still gives me goosebumps today.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Munch on August 11, 2016, 09:18:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTkFeNKAW8s

This scene still gives me goosebumps today.
Man, he was so much younger when he did that movie. I've gotten so used to his Arkham Joker voice for the past few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WVyzy0du5Q

Blackleaf

Quote from: Shiranu on August 11, 2016, 01:54:22 AM

Ahem... "Live action." Mark Hamill did the animated Joker.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Blackleaf on August 12, 2016, 12:10:37 PM
Ahem... "Live action." Mark Hamill did the animated Joker.
Doesn't matter, Hamill's still better.

drunkenshoe

I have just watched Victor Frankenstein. Apparently everyone hated it. I loved it. But then it is a Frankenstein movie and I am strongly biased in favor. It also has an Igor in it! It's like a tiny bit of christmas ffs. We didn't need a religious Sherlock Holmes, but it is Ok I guess.

This is pretty much like Godzilla movies for me. If you don't like it from the beginning, highly likely you won't like it ever, doesn't matter how 'better' you hope it is made. There is no point in discussing how much sense it makes. And it's a genius story, it makes a lot of sense, not to mention it is probably a part of humanity's future.

Spoilers...it is aliiiiive!  :P

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: drunkenshoe on August 27, 2016, 01:33:12 PM
I have just watched Victor Frankenstein. Apparently everyone hated it. I loved it. But then it is a Frankenstein movie and I am strongly biased in favor. It also has an Igor in it! It's like a tiny bit of christmas ffs. We didn't need a religious Sherlock Holmes, but it is Ok I guess.

This is pretty much like Godzilla movies for me. If you don't like it from the beginning, highly likely you won't like it ever, doesn't matter how 'better' you hope it is made. There is no point in discussing how much sense it makes. And it's a genius story, it makes a lot of sense, not to mention it is probably a part of humanity's future.

Spoilers...it is aliiiiive!  :P
Have you ever seen this one, Shoe?
<https://www.youtube.com/embed/xjg_yhSfmdQ>

I tried to show my great nephew the Boris Karloff movie, but it doesn't hold up well today.

My favorite, is the one with Robert DeNiro as the monster.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on August 27, 2016, 04:52:47 PM
Have you ever seen this one, Shoe?
<https://www.youtube.com/embed/xjg_yhSfmdQ>

I tried to show my great nephew the Boris Karloff movie, but it doesn't hold up well today.

My favorite, is the one with Robert DeNiro as the monster.

Thank you.  :smooch:
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Sal1981

Finding Dory 8/10

Good & entertaining family movie.

SGOS

Hell or High Water  10/10 Now at theaters

Although this impressed the critics (98% Tomatoes), I did not have high expectations as it was not my genre and it's about Texas red necks.  I considered avoiding it altogether.  Some violence necessary to carry the plot, and some action, but mostly it's just an interesting story.  Not a thriller or edge of your seat thing with amazing plot twists, just an exceptionally interesting and very well told story.  10/10 and I don't score movies at 10 very often.