News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caseagainstfaith

Avengers:  Age of Ultron

Saw it last night.  Honestly, I enjoy superhero movies.  But, for the most part, they are forgetable.  A few, like The Dark Knight, stuck with me for longer.  But that's a rare exception.  This one was fine entertainment for a couple of hours.  But, very forgetable.  David Spade does good vocal work as Ultron. Makes for a pretty good villain.  As everybody knows, this one has many many characters.  Pepper Potts is mentioned by Tony Stark a few times, but doesn't appear.

Ultimately, if you like these kinds of movies, you'll probably like this one. If you don't in general, this probably won't be the exception.

Minor spoiler regarding IM3 continuity:  [spoiler]At end of IM3, Tony Stark destroyed, supposedly, all of his Ironman suits.  For Pepper Potts.  We of course knew that wouldn't last. But, they didn't even deal with that at all.  Tony Stark is just back to being Ironman.  I seem to remember Joss Whedon saying that the IM3 ending left him with a problem to deal with. I guess he just decided not to.[/spoiler]
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on May 01, 2015, 11:35:27 AM
Avengers:  Age of Ultron

Saw it last night.  Honestly, I enjoy superhero movies.  But, for the most part, they are forgetable.  A few, like The Dark Knight, stuck with me for longer.  But that's a rare exception.  This one was fine entertainment for a couple of hours.  But, very forgetable.  David Spade does good vocal work as Ultron. Makes for a pretty good villain.  As everybody knows, this one has many many characters.  Pepper Potts is mentioned by Tony Stark a few times, but doesn't appear.

Ultimately, if you like these kinds of movies, you'll probably like this one. If you don't in general, this probably won't be the exception.

I completely forgot about this movie. Sounds like I'll like it though.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

I loved the first Avengers, and I was jacked for this one.  Last night, I noticed that it was going to start playing at 9:00 AM today (Friday), and then repeat a jillion or so times during the day.  I don't like crowds, but I've had good luck with going on opening day on Friday afternoon.  I figured I'd beat the crowds big time on this one, so I arrived at the theater at 9:00 AM, only to find a convoy of school busses in the parking lot, and a line of elementary kids that stretched for 50 yards outside the theater.  I passed.  It's a good thing I had three other things to do in town, because it's 80 miles round trip for me.

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: SGOS on May 01, 2015, 02:27:13 PM
I loved the first Avengers, and I was jacked for this one.

The general consensus is, not as good as the first one.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

SGOS

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on May 02, 2015, 07:21:33 AM
Which is usually the case.  I was hoping Joss Whedon would be able to break Hollywood's tradition of uninspired sequels.  I think the guy is a bit of a genius.  But it's too easy to coast to a sequel knowing it's going to generate revenue on the strength of the original.  In preparation for my trip to see the Age of Ultron, I broke out my personal copy of the Avengers and watched half of it before I fell asleep (an omen perhaps).  I loved Hollywood's exploitation of Marvel Superheroes, but I may have reached a saturation point.  I've kind of felt this coming on over the last two years. 

the_antithesis

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on May 02, 2015, 07:21:33 AM

There's a reason for that, as outlined in this video:

The main reason the first one worked is because of the meta-narrative of audiences going to see if this Marvel movie universe, and that movie in particular would even work. The second movie didn't have that benefit and probably couldn't help but feel like a lesser effort as a result.

drunkenshoe

Minuscule: Valley of the Lost Ants

Epic fantasy. Lol. Animation. It's good.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: SGOS
I don't like crowds,

I'm actually cool with crowds.  I think it is more fun to go to an "event" type of movie with a crowd.  So that you can feed a bit off the energy of the crowd.  So, I intentionally go opening day pretty frequently.  It was kind of funny, I went to 6 AM (as in the morning) to both The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises.  For both movies, when I went to buy tickets, the midnight and 3 am shows were sold out already.

Quote from: SGOS
I loved Hollywood's exploitation of Marvel Superheroes, but I may have reached a saturation point.  I've kind of felt this coming on over the last two years. 

Ultimately, there is only so much you can do with the genre.  I will still probably continue to see them.  Maybe not all of them.  But, its hard to keep going to the same well and pull out something that seems new and fresh.

The trailer for Batman V Superman actually got some applause in my theater.  As did the trailer for Star Wars.  And the trailer for Terminator Genysis. They were ones I'd already seen online, the most recent ones for each.

Shiranu

QuoteI think it is more fun to go to an "event" type of movie with a crowd.  So that you can feed a bit off the energy of the crowd.

I honestly completely agree with this.

Edit: Just got done watching "The Imitation Game"... holy shit, that was an amazing movie. Yes, I realise... historical inaccuracies, but that isn't what art is (or has to be) about. It terms of creating feelings, it does an amazing job.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Watching "A Dangerous Method" now, and it is also really interesting so far. It has mixed reviews, but I think that has alot to do with the uncomfortable-ness of the subject matter... its about Jung and a patient of his, and of course there is the Freudian obsession with sex.

Still, it's off to a really good start.

The short synopsis...

QuoteSet on the eve of World War I, A Dangerous Method describes the turbulent relationships between Carl Jung, founder of analytical psychology; Sigmund Freud, founder of the discipline of psychoanalysis; and Sabina Spielrein, initially a patient of Jung and later a physician and one of the first female psychoanalysts.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on May 03, 2015, 10:55:56 AMI think it is more fun to go to an "event" type of movie with a crowd.  So that you can feed a bit off the energy of the crowd.
It's the opposite with me.  It's a draining experience.  And the more there are, the faster it drains.

Think of every person as a small bird.  A few chirping away on a tree are pleasant enough.  Add a couple hundred to the mix, and you have cacophonous and most unpleasant swarm.

QuoteUltimately, there is only so much you can do with the genre.  I will still probably continue to see them.  Maybe not all of them.  But, its hard to keep going to the same well and pull out something that seems new and fresh.
Eh, there's enough of a diversity of characters and major events in the Marvel universe for them to milk it for quite a long time.  Civil War, Infinity War, Captain Marvel, Inhumans, etc.  Very exciting!

SGOS

Mad Max: Fury Road 8/10

Drive from Point A to Point B.  Survive a gauntlet of psychotics who want to kill you because... well... just because.  Act like it's normal.

Atheon

So, is it filled with "feminist propaganda" like the wingnuts are claiming?
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

SGOS

Quote from: Atheon on May 16, 2015, 09:23:39 AM
Hmmm.  I hadn't heard that claim, but yeah, now that I think about it, I suppose there is some of that.  There are liberated older women who aren't afraid to blow a guy's head off if he has it coming.  There are some young maiden types that provide mostly window dressing, but they occasionally have to kick some guy's ass when it's necessary, although they don't resent having a man come to their rescue as long as he's hunky enough.  But none of this seems out of the ordinary.  That part is pretty much a reflection of reality as I see it.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Atheon on May 16, 2015, 09:23:39 AM
I must plead ignorance--when you use the term 'wingnuts' what are you referring to?  Around here that term is use for somebody in the Air Force.  I live close to a closed down AFB, which houses one of the best air museums in the world, so 'wingnuts' abound here. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?