News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Tusk

This is one weird movie.  It's too weird for me to rate.  Did I like it?  I don't know.  It's engaging and revolting at the same time.  It's a sick fantasy, but you can't stop watching it.  I give it a 10 for creating an unusually strong visceral response, but beyond that I dunno what to think.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

the_antithesis

Quote from: Shiranu on January 25, 2015, 11:50:36 AM
What even is this?

It's the movie version of this.

Well, Transformers was a good movie. Now the girls get one.

the_antithesis

Quote from: SGOS on January 25, 2015, 11:04:43 AM
Tusk

This is one weird movie.  It's too weird for me to rate.  Did I like it?  I don't know.  It's engaging and revolting at the same time.  It's a sick fantasy, but you can't stop watching it.  I give it a 10 for creating an unusually strong visceral response, but beyond that I dunno what to think.

That movie started as a joke on Kevin Smith's podcast. He then took the joke way too far and actually made the movie.

SGOS

Now You See Me (Now You Don't)  -  This movie was a 10 for me.

It's rare that I so enjoy a movie this much.  It's back again at Red Box, which mostly specializes in new releases, so others must have liked it too, although probably not as much as I did.  I love this film.  I can't remember it being at the theaters, and I read one review that totally trashed it.  While tastes vary in film, I am stunned how anyone could not enjoy this movie.

I was completely absorbed by this story about a group of street magicians who team up and are propelled onto the national stage with the help of a mystery benefactor.  While their magic tricks are wonderful, there is a clever agenda taking place behind their lavish performances.  Even they are unaware of their ultimate purpose until the end. 

I've watched it four times, and I'm still putting together those little things I missed along the way.  Fascinating!

aitm

I remember that movie SGOS, it was a good flick.

I just watched "Lucy". I stopped it when whats-his-face said to the audience that we only use 10% of our brain and told the wife it was BS, but she actually thought they were telling the truth. But overall the movie was engaging, but the woo was a little too much. About a 3 as far as movie, but a 6 for enjoyed watching it.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on January 27, 2015, 08:23:40 AM
I just watched "Lucy"... About a 3 as far as movie, but a 6 for enjoyed watching it.

Enjoyment is what I weigh the most.  I think critics weigh things like probable general appeal, the inclusion of some currently important social issue, or some insight into the human condition.  While these often add something to make a movie better, I hardly weigh them in at all.

Having said that, I enjoyed Lucy in spite of the fact that it seems to have been put together by someone who didn't have a clue of how to blend reality with science to create credible science fiction, and ended up with a movie that was over the top.  It was embarrassingly simple as well as flawed, but I enjoyed watching an indestructible babe smashing her way through evil doers.  That I did enjoy.

Deidre32

The Other Woman...I thought I posted about this here, but maybe not. I'm in such a fog these days. :/

I loved this movie, absolutely hilarious! I didn't expect to enjoy it that much, but really funny. About two women, one is the wife of a cheater, the other is the mistress. The two meet up, and realize there is a third woman to contend with...and the they plot to get him back. As far as plots like that go, they're usually not my thing, at least in the sense of a comedy. I tend to like thrillers, mysteries, etc. But, this was so funny, I was crying.

I'd give it a shot if you're looking for something funny. Kind of leans more towards a chick-flick comedy, but guys might think it's funny, too. ^_^
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

Deidre32

haha I looked back a page, and I did mention The Other Woman. ^_^
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

SGOS

The Identical 1/10

The premise of the movie had good potential, even though it was heavy handed with Christianity.  It featured supporting roles by Ashley Judd and Ray Liotta, but they were acting in a stilted script.  I felt sorry for them having to work in this film.  The rest of the actors were unknown to me.  Besides that, the movie is bad on so many levels.  Two identical twins are separated at birth and each is born with musical talent, and while everything is lip sinked and not very convincing at that, it started out with some great old time rock and roll that got my juices flowing.  I'm thinking, I might make it through this after all, but then the good music is replaced by some forgettable Ballad crap that doesn't work at all.  It's reminiscent of early Evils Presley, with some really cheesy beach scenes that the one of the twins starred in, and the lead actor who plays both twins looks like a Presley imitator, and he gets drafted by the army.  What a rip off. 

The guys in the special effects studio apparently didn't know how to produce a scene where both of the twins being played by the same actor could appear on screen at the same time.  When they finally meet, this problem which Hollywood does know how to deal with effectively, is just unconvincingly ignored. 

The minster father thinks his son has a calling from the Lord to carry on the ministry, but the lad fights back and proves that the Lord's calling is his musical career.  So everything works out according to God's will.  The movie was so poorly written and directed, I'm guessing it was part of the same cheapo industry complex that has been churning out the second rate Christian movies of late, but with a slight nod to secularism.  Actually, even though I knew I was taking a chance when I read the movie description before renting it, I still felt like I had been set up with a back door attempt by the Christian industry to save my soul from damnation.  I could have lived with that except the movie would still have sucked anyway.

aitm

Fury…..not a bad flick, another war movie, the usual war is good, war is bad, war is righteous, war is evil stuff. I tried to pay more attention to the acting because the plot really was worn, I think Pitt did a nice job Laboof or whatever his name is was okay as a little preachy kid, some nice acting by nobodies. All in all, a nice flick when nothing else is on, its rainy or snowy and it won't get you all fired up and pumped like some other war movies so you can sleep pretty easily afterwards. About a 6  I thnk.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

I enjoyed the first tank battle in the evening with the tracer fire.  That scene impressed me.  I wonder if it was realistic or not.

stromboli

Grand Budapest Hotel 8/10. The reason is because I'm old enough to understand some of the culture around which the movie is portrayed; a turn of the century bourgeois culture being funneled against its will into the 20th century a la the upcoming war. the visible trappings of a decadent and decaying society run behind the scenes by an army of hotel managers, clerks, chefs, lobby boys, and so on. This is the era of the Orient Express that traveled from London to Istanbul, where the old rich of a dying era were traveling in utter luxury by train from one grand hotel to another. The producer/director was making a statement about that era and the death throes it was going through.

It was comedic and done with set pieces that were quite gorgeously dressed in keeping with the era. If you understand the intent of the writer and producer et al, it makes more sense. Wes Anderson also made the Royal Tenenbaums and the Aquatic Life of Steve Zissou, and Moonrise Kingdom. either you buy into his quirky premises or you don't. I like his work.

SGOS

I was never aware of Wes Anderson until I saw Moonrise Kingdom, which offered a respite from the standard Hollywood formula approach.  True Anderson has his own formula, very much so indeed, but it's a different formula, and I enjoy different.  I liked Grand Budapest Hotel for the same reasons, and I'll be looking for more Wes Anderson in the future.

stromboli

Wes Anderson's humor is so deadpan that you miss the intent sometimes There is never an outright laugh and the basis for humor is the situations, like the incidents on the train with the soldiers.  But he does a good job of portraying personalities in quirky situations, and the humor works for me.