Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eylul

Let's Be Cops

Well, I could say it was ok.

Solitary

I've been watching a BBC series called Father Brown. It's worth watching. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

aitm

Expendables lll, horrible acting, just horrible….still fun to watch because why not pull every "action hero" into one crappy movie? Lousy acting….really really lousy…..but fun to watch.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Deidre32

Quote from: the_antithesis on January 17, 2015, 10:22:27 AM
I don't mind musicals, but I can't stand the singing.

haha that might be a problem then.

on another note, I looked up the critics reviews of ''the other woman,'' and I'm starting to think I like bad movies. lol
:=P it received 23%.........

it was the funniest movie I've seen in ages. ohhh well.
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

the_antithesis

Quote from: Hydra009 on January 14, 2015, 02:26:23 AM
You know, after reviewing this thread, I've realized that I consistently rate movies lower than most of you guys.  Stuff that mostly gets a 10/10 or 9/10 from the crowd gets an 8/10 or a 7/10 from me.  I almost never give a movie a 9/10 or 10/10, so on the rare occasions that I highly praise something, I really mean it!

I also overanalyze stuff, which tends to magnify small flaws.  That and I might just be really hard to please.  Dammit, I'm going to give a movie a 9/10 one of these days, it just has to earn it!

Also, I used to be funny.  :(

This is why I don't rate on a numerical scale.

the_antithesis

Selma

I don't know what to think about this movie. What I can say is I didn't like it much. I'm not saying it's a bad movie by any means. I'm just saying I'm unlikely to willingly watch it again anytime soon.

I should probably start off saying I don't give a shit about the politics involved because I do not give a shit about politics, period. I went to see Malcolm X in the theaters because it was a Spike Lee movie and I hadn't seen one yet and decided to watch that one since it was the new one at the time. At the end of that movie, a woman-- one of the few other people at the screening-- applauded excitedly. This reaction puzzles me to this day because Malcolm X wasn't an exciting movie. But, she was black, so maybe I just don't understand.

I am all about story, character, performance, the art of film making. I don't care whose life is being portrayed so long as it's being made into a good movie.

I can't say with certainty what the movie gets wrong. As far as I can see, it doesn't really do anything wrong. I caught a glimpse of artistic flourishes here and there. (I gave a golf clap to a church bombing. I haven't seen a better use of shock in quite some time) But mostly I was kind of bored. It's kind of talky and dull in stretches. And I don't know why. Usually, it's because I can't follow what's going on and stuff. But I could follow what was going on. It may be just drawn out. Scenes going on for just a touch too long to be effective.

I do hope that black guys bring back that little mustache of King's.

Hydra009

Wreck it Ralph.  Score is --ẘ̘̊rÌŠÍ–ÌŠe̼̊̃̊cÌŠÍŠÌŠkÌŠÌ­ÌŠeÌŠÍŸÌŠd̪̊̊--

Thoroughly entertaining.  The whole video game characters living outside of the game thing has been done before *coughRebootcough* but it was a really touching story about outcasts finding their place in the world and not being defined by your label.  Remember, just because you're the bad guy, doesn't mean you have to be the bad guy.  Unless you're Shao Kahn.  I mean that guy has a skull as a helmet.

Mr.Obvious

Tmnt 2014
Worse than I'd hoped. Better than I'd expected.
But still pretty bad.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Berati

I recently saw The Grand Budapest Hotel.
I don't know what score to give it because while I can see the talent involved in making this film I just couldn't get into it.
If I had to give it score based on how much I enjoyed it I'd only give it a 6/10
Carl Sagan
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."

Sal1981

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - 7/10

Despite being quite original in plot and performance, I thought it could be better in terms of unfolding the story.

Savior2006

I saw Fight Club yesterday and absolutely loved it.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Jmpty

Guardians of the Galaxy. 8/10. Great soundtrack, and my kids loved it.
???  ??

the_antithesis

aitm

American Sniper. I really don't understand the flap over this. Yes, its a war story with hero's and villains, but also shows the horror of war, the brutal cost of it. I do not see this as anti-islamic as much as a war movie. Pretty darn good, but only because it is so emotionally charged, they really spent less time with the idea of being a sniper and more being a soldier which was probably better because the portrayal of a sniper only would probably come off as really heartless.  Not a bad film, probably will never watch it again because  stuff like that I have no interest in seeing again. I give it 7.5
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on January 25, 2015, 09:47:55 AM
American Sniper. I really don't understand the flap over this. Yes, its a war story with hero's and villains, but also shows the horror of war, the brutal cost of it. I do not see this as anti-islamic as much as a war movie. Pretty darn good, but only because it is so emotionally charged, they really spent less time with the idea of being a sniper and more being a soldier which was probably better because the portrayal of a sniper only would probably come off as really heartless.  Not a bad film, probably will never watch it again because  stuff like that I have no interest in seeing again. I give it 7.5
I think the flap is not over the movie as much as it is just over the flap.  It seems to generate feelings about both of two opposing socio-political view points, depending on an individual's personal point of view.  But that's the thing about war, any war, not just a war involving Arabs or Islam.  There are always opposing points of view on going into war and the perceived motives behind it.  Governments vilify the enemy, as do large cross sections of the voters, while some voters think the whole thing is misguided, based on some sort of bias.  That this movie is seen in two different lights by viewers pretty much reflects the way a population views wars. 

Was Kyle a hero or an asshole?  That's not really the point.  He was who he was.  He was worshiped by some, and vilified by others.  It's almost a testimony to Eastwood's story telling abilities that he creates such a mixed bag of responses. 

Take the end of the movie where Kyle's funeral paints a picture of a hero.  Does Eastwood tip his hand and show his personal bias when he includes this in the movie?  We can't know.  Whether Kyle was a hero or not, the fact remains that he had a following who thought he was.  While that pisses off a lot of people, I don't think it's a reason to fault the movie as a having a flawed perspective.