News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atheon

Saving Christmas by Kirk Cameron. What a masterpiece of cinema!! Probably the best movie I've seen since that magnum opus The Room! Through superb acting, clever camera angles, flawless logical reasoning and a complex plot filled with unexpected twists and turns, Cameron actually convinced me to give up my evil, god-hating, monkey-ancestor-having atheistic ways and bow the knee before Christ Jesus himself! Praise the LORD! The BIBBLE is true!!!!

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on December 30, 2014, 10:19:02 PM
OK, I've got to ask:  Are you living on a boat?
I have one for my bathtub. :)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on December 30, 2014, 08:14:15 AMThat was perhaps the most scathing, while not inaccurate, review of Hunger Games I've ever read.
Thank you.  It's partially that the second one felt too much like the first one.  Going to the Capitol was cool and all the first time when it was all shiny and new.  But the second time is just boring and forgettable.  And the really weird thing is the uprising sorta just pops up out of nowhere.  Katniss is apparently a symbol for it, despite initially being completely compliant with the government.  Didn't make a whole lot of sense.

I also didn't really like the villain.  It was extremely strange to hear him practically obsess about her. "I want her dead!"  Then do it!  You're the dictator, you can make it happen.  I'll get my gun and we'll shoot her together.  Sheesh, Dr Evil was a more competent villain.

I sort of like Katniss, but her love triangle was just nauseating.  And she's probably the only halfway decently developed character.  Seriously.  Describe the main characters of the Hunger Games franchise without using any of their titles or relationships.  Katniss is courageous, selfless, defiant, compassionate, and as of the second film, slightly traumatized.  Her romantic interest is...oh right, no relationships.  That guy brings absolutely nothing else to the table.  Peeta is...I honestly don't know.  Haymitch is drunk and hates himself.  The dictator is cruel.  Not exactly wowing me in the character department, either.

The action's good and all, but damn, the buildup to it is such a drag that I'm not really emotionally invested at all.  Maybe I'm just an overly harsh critic, but it didn't seem like the film brought much to the table.

Hydra009

Quote from: Aroura33 on December 30, 2014, 03:00:13 PMDon't ever read Game of Thrones then!  The characters and plot lines are excellent, but Martin can take an entire page to describe what another writer would probably do in a sentence or two.  Particularly clothing and food.  I don't mind it most of the time, I actually enjoy reading a description so vivid I can really visualize the people in my head, and almost smell their dinner.  But that kind of verbosity isn't for everyone.
Yeah, I was torn between my love of painting with words (the descriptions really help visualize the scene and also give you a sense of the hugely divergent lifestyles of the rich and the poor) and my irritation with extraneous and trivial details.  Depending on the book, you could cut out anywhere from 50 to 100 pages and not notice the difference.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on December 30, 2014, 07:53:36 PMSo, I will probably go to my local Barnes and Nobel bookstore (since that is the only one we have), grab The Game of Thrones, buy a cup of coffee and sit and read for an hour or so.  If I like it, I'll start it.  If not--I'll do something else.
Definitely worth a shot.  A Game of Thrones is the best-paced one of the bunch, imho.  Further in the series, and the author starts to ramble.

Just be ready for a peppering of medieval jargon like nameday (similar to, but not the same as birthday), on the morrow (tomorrow), craven (coward), hauberk (chainmail shirt), gorget (armor protecting the neck), mare (adult female horse), smallclothes (underwear), etc.

And it's practically impossible to remember all the characters, so writing down key characters and what's going on with them is a good idea.

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: Atheon on December 31, 2014, 06:55:39 AM
Saving Christmas by Kirk Cameron. What a masterpiece of cinema!! Probably the best movie I've seen since that magnum opus The Room! Through superb acting, clever camera angles, flawless logical reasoning and a complex plot filled with unexpected twists and turns, Cameron actually convinced me to give up my evil, god-hating, monkey-ancestor-having atheistic ways and bow the knee before Christ Jesus himself! Praise the LORD! The BIBBLE is true!!!!

Obviously I know you are being sarcastic, but, did you by any chance get stuck actually watching it?  Apparently it is so bad even evangelical Christians say it sucks.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

wolf39us

The Woman in Black (2012)

I'm going to give this one a 5/10.  The movie was overall very boring and used pretty predictable scare tactics.  The story line was "okay" at best.

Mr. Potter's acting was mediocre and I really felt that he just didn't belong in the scare business.  This movie felt more like a Disney special than it did a horror film in my personal opinion.

the_antithesis

Quantum Leap fans take note, this stars a very young Dean Stockwell as the titular werewolf.

The plot is about 40% retread of the original Wolf Man with the other 70% a lame attempt at a comedy-horror hybrid. It's mostly dull or painful when the President tries to deliver a "humorous" speech or something, but it really comes alive when Stockwell is in the wolf make up. He really fucking goes for it here, acting like a dog and shit. One scene where he attacks a woman in a phone booth is worth watching this pile alone, so try to find clips on youtube of that.

Overall, it's silly and dull only made watchable by its star and his gusto performance when in wolf form. Unfortunately, he's rarely in wolf form. Would have been better if he was a wolf more often.

Shiranu

Silence of the Lambs

Yes, it took me this long to watch it, but...

Gr8 movie m8, I r8 8/8.

(For real though, it was a ridiculously good movie...)
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

gussy

Quote from: Shiranu on January 05, 2015, 03:26:40 PM
Silence of the Lambs

Yes, it took me this long to watch it, but...

Gr8 movie m8, I r8 8/8.

(For real though, it was a ridiculously good movie...)

One of my favorites.  The first time through you don't realize how little that Lector is actually shown because he dominates every scene that he is in. 

Shiranu

Quote from: gussy on January 06, 2015, 11:42:09 PM
One of my favorites.  The first time through you don't realize how little that Lector is actually shown because he dominates every scene that he is in. 

Every time he was off the screen, I was counting down the minutes till he was back. Such a great performance :D.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

As Above So Below  4/10

That rating may be a bit too high, but compared to other horror flicks, it was more creepy and had better surprise scares, so I bumped it a little.  It reminded me of The Blair Witch Project, but is more professionally done and moves along faster.  Lots of periods of whispering and sneaking.  Then something happens, and everyone starts screaming and arguing creating periods of frightened chaos, and then more quiet creepy stuff.  Lots of horror cliché.  And it's done in shaky cam, which I hate.  It does add to the chaos, so I see the point of shaky cam here, but mostly I found it annoying.

Aroura33

Interstellar 9.5/10

An extraordinary film overall. The special effects are so awesome you don't even notice them most of the time.  The plot is wonderfully interesting, and though you find yourself thinking of many authors and other films throughough, non of them were like rip offs, the overarching plot was very thoughtful and well done.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

Shiranu

Kill Bill Vol. I - 10/10

First time I have watched it (I didn't start watching movies till I was about 21-22, that's why I'm so late on all these great films)...

The artistic style... the themes... the the soundtrack... oh god, just everything about this movie is great. Tarantino is such a master of suspense. The fight between Lucy Lu and The Bride... ok, not the most action packed (especially after the fight scene it followed [the blue room sequence was beautiful!]), but man... is good. Lu's back story as an anime-style, the suspense in the first fight...

Yeah, it was a great movie.

Notthesun

Selma - What an incredible film. I believe this movie should win Best Picture.

Grade: A

Interstellar - A beautiful piece of work and very fun to go on.

Grade: A-
Poster formerly known as Sky;Walker.

His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.