News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

The Thirteenth Floor is 16 years old, but very good.  But the state of computers in 1998 when the movie was made required those clunky monitors of the time.  Here these guys are writing software for highly advanced virtual reality programs, but they appear to be doing it all from DOS prompts.  That part is both nostalgic and jarring at the same time.  But the rest of the movie is convincing, at least as far as Sci Fi goes.

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

Quote from: Solitary on October 16, 2014, 02:22:45 PM
Don't miss this movie! Hilarious. http://youtu.be/4ORtLAxueLU
I missed this when it was at the theater, but it looks good.  I'm looking forward to it.  It reminds me of an older movie I love, Rustler's Rhapsody, funny as Hell.  I just looked up "Rustler's Rhapsody" on rotten tomatoes.  Critics gave it an 18.  Audience gave it an 87.  I give it a 9.5.

Deidre32

Anyone here watch 12 Years A Slave? That was a tough movie, but incredible acting, and a sadly incredible true story.
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

SGOS

Quote from: Deidre32 on October 19, 2014, 04:00:38 PM
Anyone here watch 12 Years A Slave? That was a tough movie, but incredible acting, and a sadly incredible true story.
Yeah, I watched it.  It was unusually disturbing for me.  I give the director credit for that.  It was a good movie, but I wouldn't describe it as great fun.

SGOS

Fury  8/10

Sometimes I got a little bored.  But the tank battles were gripping.  I don't know if they looked like real tank battles.  I've never seen a tank battle, but they were breathtaking.  And I'm not talking about the usual Hollywood massive explosions with fire balls.  The tracer fire in the evening was both pretty and frightening at the same time.  It added an eerie dimension to the film.  I've never seen anything in a movie quite like it.

PickelledEggs

Just re-watched The Big Lebowski.

One of my favorite movies of all time

Savior2006

Saw Gone Girl with dad last Sunday. It's twist came so early, and I was expecting it to be over at that point. Then there's still an hour of a half of movie to go. All the same, it was well done and tense, which is how a mystery should be. But...it loses it's label as a mystery, partly because the twist comes so early.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

SGOS

Snow Piercer  8/10

While the premise takes Sci Fi beyond the normally unbelievable, the story is unique and done well enough to deserve a look.  In fact, the plot is no more unbelievable than a superhero movie. It's more like it falls outside the Hollywood rules that insure big box office turnouts.  I'm drawn to those kinds of movies, so I guess I was predisposed to like this one.  Critics liked it too, although I'm not sure any of these opinions matter.

AllPurposeAtheist

Watched Bliss about a young rape victim condemned to die in an honor killing. She's taken to a seaside town by the man tasked with killing her.. Very good flick.. Subtitles in Turkish (I think)
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

aitm

Live Die Repeat.. not bad. Think Ground hog day but as a drama and getting whacked a couple dozen times. Kinda funny in the way that happens. The aliens are a little overboard, but hey so is the premise. Good evening flick if nothing else is on and you have a six pack and a bag of pop-corn you need to get rid of.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on October 27, 2014, 03:20:02 PM
Live Die Repeat.. not bad. Think Ground hog day but as a drama and getting whacked a couple dozen times. Kinda funny in the way that happens. The aliens are a little overboard, but hey so is the premise. Good evening flick if nothing else is on and you have a six pack and a bag of pop-corn you need to get rid of.
I enjoyed that at the theater.  I'll watch it again when it shows up at Redbox.

PopeyesPappy

I can't imagine any downside to watching Tom Cruise die over and over again.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

the_antithesis

Quote from: aitm on October 27, 2014, 03:20:02 PM

I find it amusing that they retitled "Edge of Tomorrow" "Live Die Repeat." I don't know of many movies that had their title changed so fast like that.

aitm

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on October 27, 2014, 03:47:08 PM
I can't imagine any downside to watching Tom Cruise die over and over again.

don't be a hater.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust