News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savior2006

Not sure if I reviewed Maze Runner already.

8/10. More post apocalyptic than it is dystopian for people not caring much for the Hunger Games fad.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

SGOS

Dracula Untold  6/10

The premise of this looked interesting.  It explains (or invents) the origin of Dracula.  As with superhero movies, I always enjoy the details of the origin.  And Dracula is a superhero in this film.  He is the a count, which we all know, but his kingdom is under attack, and he sells his soul to the Devil to gain the power to save his kingdom.  And you know the rest.  Although parts of the movie seemed kind of pointless, most of it was passable entertainment.

the_antithesis

It's been a week now since I've seen Gone Girl and I am now certain it is not a good movie. A week later and that film has barely even crossed my mind, except at how disappointed I was in it. When it's a good movie, I get obsessed. I think about the characters and wonder what happens to them next. I didn't do that, despite the ending being kind of open and supposed to be leaving you wondering what happens next.

I just didn't care.

I don't know these characters. I wouldn't recognize them if I met them on the street. And I sure as hell do not want to know what happens next.

And yet, this movie is popular. Now it is. In ten years, people will be wondering what they were thinking, if they ever think about Gone Girl ever again, and they probably won't.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Savior2006 on October 11, 2014, 12:07:05 PM
Not sure if I reviewed Maze Runner already.

8/10. More post apocalyptic than it is dystopian for people not caring much for the Hunger Games fad.

I fail to see how that's an improvement, nor do I think the problem with Hunger Games was that it's supposed to be dystopian.

SGOS

Quote from: the_antithesis on October 11, 2014, 12:40:25 PM
When it's a good movie, I get obsessed.
The last time I've been obsessed with a movie was Mulholland Drive, but the obsession was more from being at a complete loss to make sense out of it, although I do think it's an excellent film.  Most people just don't like it.

Solitary

I just watched this move, and thought it had a really good plot that had you guessing all the way to the ending.

QuoteBasic is a 2003 American/German mystery-thriller film directed by John McTiernan and starring John Travolta, Connie Nielsen and Samuel L. Jackson. The film is McTiernan's final film to date. In Panama, a team of Army Ranger trainees and their instructor, Master Sergeant Nathan West, engage in a training exercise: navigate the jungle in hurricane conditions using live fire to hit targets before rendezvousing at a bunker.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

Quote from: Solitary on October 12, 2014, 12:20:12 AM
I just watched this move, and thought it had a really good plot that had you guessing all the way to the ending.

So what movie was it?

stromboli

Quote from: Solitary on October 12, 2014, 12:20:12 AM

I didn't like Basic because John Travolta, period.

Rush. 8/10. Better than I thought. The race scenes are very well done and Christian Hemsworth is a better actor than I thought him to be. Think of it as a love story with edge of your seat excitement and explosions.

SGOS

Solitary

Quote from: SGOS on October 12, 2014, 02:53:06 AM
So what movie was it?
It says BASIC. Actually, Travolta was good in it, but after seeing Ron's movie he was in it is hard to take him serious.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

stromboli

Quote from: SGOS on October 12, 2014, 05:42:23 PM
I don't know how I missed that.

Basic has a "twist" ending that you more or less see coming, but Travolta is playing pretty much the same character he plays in Swordfish, the dominant, commanding know it all. I don't like him, his acting or the characters he portrays. For that matter, Swordfish and Basic have similar plot twists throughout. At least Swordfish had Halle Berry.

SGOS

Yeah, I've never understood Travolta's popularity either.

Aroura33

Quote from: SGOS on October 07, 2014, 03:32:21 PM
It was the 2014 one.  You can bet I'll watch it again.  Maybe it will make more sense the second time around, although I wouldn't necessarily be watching it to make more sense out of it.  I just think it's a cool movie.  Dark City is also one of my favorites.  I have that one in my private collection, and I couldn't tell you how many times I've watched it.  Dark City is comprehensible to me, however.  Along those lines, have you seen The Thirteenth Floor?  Another older favorite for me.
Nope, I've never seen the Thirteenth Floor (that I recall anyway).  I looked it up and it does look interesting!  I will have to check it out.

As to The Signal, I think the last 5 or 10 minutes are where the movie either makes sense or it doesn't.  I guess I just interpreted it in a way to force it to make sense, but maybe it really doesn't, lol.  Kind of makes me want to rewatch it, too.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

SGOS

Quote from: Aroura33 on October 12, 2014, 07:51:07 PM
As to The Signal, I think the last 5 or 10 minutes are where the movie either makes sense or it doesn't.  I guess I just interpreted it in a way to force it to make sense, but maybe it really doesn't, lol.  Kind of makes me want to rewatch it, too.

LOL  That's what I was thinking.  Yeah, you can invent your own ending, but you have to kind of plumb the depths of your creativity to do it.