News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: stromboli on September 20, 2014, 11:48:20 PM
The Fifth Element. The only Bruce Willis movie I've watched more than once. 8/10.

You only watched  Die Hard once? How is that even humanly possible? Just mentioning it makes me want to watch it again.
In fact, I've just convinced myself to go and watch Die Hard right now.  :popcorn:
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

The Signal  8/10

Wow!  A very engaging film, but totally incomprehensible.  It recently hit Redbox.  One of the stranger movies I've seen.  It reminds me of a David Lynch film, except it's more futuristic.  If you're into bizarre, this might be the movie of the decade... if you're into bizarre.  If it's important that a movie makes sense, then skip this one.  I thought it was great fun, but I'd be apprehensive about recommending it to anyone.

I just check the town of Matewan on the map, and the railroad does run through it.  I don't know if it's the mainline, but I imagine all of those old coal mining towns looked the same.

Savior2006

The Equalizer starring Denzel Washington:

Great action movie, if cliche. 8 out of 10.

Maze Runner:

I remember someone on this forum complaining about the fad of dystopian, young adult fiction. Here the plot is more post apocalyptic than dystopian. There's plenty of tension in being trapped in a maze and trying to figure out how to get out while avoiding the half-beast, half-machine monsters within it.

Of course, as it's part of a trilogy so the reveal as to why the boys are in the maze doesn't actually explain much of anything.

Overall another decent 8 out of 10.

It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

SGOS

Equalizer 7/10

I'm a sucker for this variation of super hero.  While not endowed with mysterious powers, he just a human, but indestructible.  Sure, you understand that he's potentially vulnerable like anyone else, but he just kicks ass and always wins.  And unlike traditional super heroes with special powers, he never meets an opponent that presents a challenge (Oddly, I don't like it when a superhero meets the inevitable super villain.  Who says he has to have a foil?  Hollywood?  For me, that doesn't add any interest to the script).  But the Equalizer just kicks ass and keeps going.  Like Clark Kent, he's got an alter ego, but it's just him.  Everyone else thinks he just a clerk in a hardware store.  The movie lost momentum a couple of times, where I got a little bored.

I don't think I ever caught even a segment of the TV series.

Sal1981

X-men: future is the past or some shit. 8/10

stromboli

The Brass Teapot (2013) Which starts out funny but lames out in the end. Has one redeeming feature: Juno Temple. Anything she is in rates at least 5 stars with me, so I'll give it 5/5 This is Juno:

And she can act.

AllPurposeAtheist

Rain 1932 ..Sadie Thompson vs. The Puritans. Maxwell Anderson's screenplay of the W. Somerset Maugham story.
Joan Crawford. Walter Huston, William Gargan  Great flick and things don't turn out to spiffy for the puritan preacher.. Great old flick and Joan Crawford was hot in 1932..
https://archive.org/details/rain1932
Lots of soul saving of the ho Sadie and the preacher really screws the pooch in the end.  Good flick for atheists..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

Matewan  8/10

Story of the unionization of West Virginia coal miners in the 1920s.  It authentically captured the feel of a West Virginia coal mining town from what I can tell.  I rode the Amtrak Cardinal through West Virginia a couple of years ago.  And I have to wonder if I saw the actual coal mining town where this was filmed.  There were several along the route, and I remember one in particular that looked just like the film.  It appeared to be abandoned, with closed storefronts facing the railroad right of way instead of a main street.

A well known, but much younger cast does a good job.  Filmed in 1987.

Mike Cl

The Book of Eli.  -1 stars.
Ultimate love/hate.
Loved the first half--it hooked me because of my addiction to Fallout 3 and Fallout:New Vegas.  The post nuclear world is perfect (well, represented as it should be).  Great action movie with the ultimate action hero in Denzil Washington.  Then the second half just fucked that all up!  The 'book' of course is the bible--braille no less.  The bad guys want it and good old god enhanced denzil won't give it up.  Turns out it the only one left and he has it all memorized in his head so that when he gets to SF there is a guy who has a huge book collection and all he lacks is a bible.  So, not even a world wide nuclear war can wipe the hideous book off the face of the world.  Highly disappointed and repulsed by the ending. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

I was disappointed by the ending too.

the_antithesis

Gone Girl

What can I say, but it's kind of like every other David Fincher directed movie. Well photographed. Well acted. Haunting score. Impressive story. But somehow unsatisfying and I do not know why.

It's difficult to discuss why without spoiling the movie. Much of it hinges on a midway twist that had been spoiled for me, which may be why I'm not liking this movie all that much.

but then, I also didn't like Rosewhatever Pike who plays the titular gone girl, whom we see in flashbacks. Some praised her acting ability. I didn't like her. I didn't believe she was a person. Much less this person.

The ending is kind of dissatisfying, too. I get what they were trying to do with the masks people wear and the roles they play when living their own fucking lives, but I don't think it was done very well.

More I think about it, the less I like it. I don't think that can be blamed on knowing the midpoint twist. It's not a very smart twist. It just seems smart because movies and novels have been so dumb lately.

AllPurposeAtheist

The last movie I fell asleep 3 minutes into: "Let em have it"1935 starring...well..nobody really.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Aroura33

Lucy - 8/10

I think this film has way too much and/or to harsh criticism. I knew before I saw it that it had the 10% of the brain fallacy and avoided it for a while because of that.  This weekend, we desperately needed to see a fun movie, so we picked this anyway, going in with low expectations for the plot and just hoping for good entertainment.

Not too far into the movie it is pretty apparent to me that it was taking a more fantasy-superhero route than a sci-fi one, so I was able to overlook the silly science.  At any rate, it is no sillier (or more scientifically inaccurate) than Spiderman getting his abilities being bitten by a genetically altered radioactive super spider, or about any other superhero premise, so I don't get all the hate.

The movie is fun, visually great, and I actually like the blend of silly and serious it delivers.  I didn't even know until I came home that the director also made The Fifth Element, which has a like mixture of silly and serious, visual eye candy, super-hero-like action fun food for thought.  It certainly has touches of Akira as well (particularly the second half), which my hubby noticed before I did.

Go in thinking of this as a superhero genre movie with a side of wacky philosophy (ala Fifth Element), and you will most likely love it.  Go in expecting a serious sci-fi and you will not be pleased.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory.  LLAP"
Leonard Nimoy

SGOS

I liked Lucy too.  Sure it had unscientific stuff in it, but it was entertaining, and that's near the top of my list of movie requirements.

SGOS

Gone Girl  10/10

I found this movie highly interesting.  I was always waiting to see what would unfold next.  It's a drama about treachery.  Like Antithesis, I think a different ending would have been more satisfying, but the ending did work, even though I'm not sure it reflected normal human behavior.  It might, not mine I don't think, but maybe for other people.  I would describe this movie as fun.  Even the tension was fun.  I found myself laughing out loud at the cleverness of the treacherous behavior involved, even when it was very diabolical.