Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savior2006

Quote from: SGOS on September 12, 2014, 10:02:09 AM
Heaven is Real  2/10

It includes all the devices necessary in a good Christian Drama.  A miracle happens.  At first, no one believes the boy, until he relates some things about the family to his father.  These things are supposedly things he could not know.  The father struggles with it and accepts the boys story as real.  Now everyone thinks the father has gone over the deep end, including his wife, and they want to fire him as minister of their church.  The father becomes a martyr, but then the boy relates other things that get the doubters on board.  Finally, the minister's wife believes while she is in tears over something the boy tells her about the family that he could not possibly know.  Everyone joyously reunites in their newly deepened faith and they all become friends again.  Throughout the movie there are many scenes of people praying by themselves and in groups.  They are good Christians walking in God's path, but they are shown the light and reborn once again.

It's profoundly Christian sap and gooey schmaltz of sickening proportions.

Always figured it would be better than God's Not Dead. I prefer stupid and sweet to stupid and mean.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier gets a 10 out of 10. Very well done action scenes. I love superhero movies.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

SGOS

Oh, and I forgot the most important part.  At the end, when everyone is reuniting in friendship, his wife calls her husband aside and tells him they're having another baby.  They do a tender Christian Kiss of agape love (or is it the other one?  I can never remember which is which) as they enjoin in happiness, blessed with another miracle of life, for which they can thank Jesus.

Jutter

Nebraska 9/10
Great acting. The stylistic choices augment the story's atmosphere nicely. Crisp black and white with two mono-soundtracks (sound left, music right) rather than stereo. This is not a story about a victorious winner (the supposed trophy is a scam), but rather  about a persistent loser who's granted one final indulgence as a reward for his persistence. It's one of those films that manages to be endearing through it's refusal to be bigger than life. For someone like me, who's a sucker for escapist spectacle, but likes variaty too, such movies make for a welcome change of pace.
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Jutter

Grudge Match 7/10
The Raging Bull vs Rocky in a light dramady flavor. The sfx creating the illusion of younger versions of Stallone and DeNiro could've been done better, and the comedy's corney. But ultimately this film turns out to be a more worthy successor to Rocky than all it's sequels managed to be. Not omg you must see this, but definately worth wasting a rainy sunday afternoon on for shits and giggles.
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Savior2006

Finally saw Maximum Overdrive, written and directed by Stephen King while he was doing some serious cocaine.

Holy shit, this movie is an insult. Hands down, the best character in the movie is the boy...because he keeps his fucking trap shut.

Let me tell you why I hate these characters.

Homicidal vehicles/machines:

1. Start off by killing whatever humans they can and fully intend to kill any that leave the gas station where the story takes place. Then, when the cars start running out of gas, they threaten (by car horn morse code) to........kill the humans if they don't get more. And the humans agree. Sure, why the hell not. I mean the machines also had a jeep with a machine-gun, and it could've said "Give me some more ammo or else I will kill you!"

2. So which is it? Do you want to kill humans or did you want gas? If you wanted gas, then wouldn't it have made more sense to PRETEND to be normal, so that the humans would give you gas BECAUSE YOU ARE BEING NORMAL?

3. If you wanted to kill the humans, why the hell are you taking so long to do it? At the end, we see the large vehicles easily destroy the building and cause it to explode. Why didn't you do that yesterday.

Billy and girlfriend who's name I don't care about:

1. They hook up and bone each other within hours of meeting each other. But Billy is the main character so we know he won't die due to having sex.

2. Billy agrees to give fuel to the homicidal trucks.

3. Billy fires a Law rocket launcher from the hip. Twice.

Bubba

1. Corrupt, fat prick who talks like he's drunk.

2. Fires rocket launcher from the hip. Three times.

3. Has a rocket launcher in the first place because....?

4. Taunts Billy about his criminal record when machines are going apeshit.

Curtis and Connie (married couple)

1. Connie doesn't shut the fuck up. As in ever. I hate horror movie characters that talk and talk and talk and don't DO ANYTHING.
2. Curtis doesn't slap her for not shutting the fuck up or telling her to do something.

Blonde waitress and husband:

1. Blondie keeps screaming at the vehicles that "we created you!" She runs out twice screaming that, nearly getting run over the first time and getting shot by the machine-gun jeep.

2. Husband decides the best thing to do when a machine gun is tearing through the building is to stand up. 

Assorted morons I don't care about:

1. Decide the smartest thing to do when a machine-gun is tearing through the building is to remain standing.

Baseball kid:

1. Is silent most of the movie and is pretty smart.
2. Thank fucking Christ.
3. See above.

Stephen King

1. Coked out of his mind while writing and directing this film.
2. What the fuck Steve?!

UFO:

1. The credits begin by saying there was a fucking UFO outside Earth's atmosphere and nobody knew about it and it's not explored at all. Surprise! At least the Russians shot it down!
2. What the fuck Steve?!

Minus infinity out of 10. If there are any homicidal aliens or trucks or both, we DESERVE IT for even being born in the same star system this movie was made.
--ApostateLois

--St Giordano

the_antithesis

Mike Cl

Damn, Savior, you ruined my favorite movie.  I used to think it was great?!  I hated that kid--loved Bubba.  I thought it was one of Kings more realistic movies. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

The Drop 9/10

Character study set in the world of organized crime.  I'm becoming a Tom Hardy fan.  There is something compelling about his acting, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is.  They used the extra time that would ordinarily be used up in car chase scenes to develop the plot.

SGOS

The Maze Runner  6/10

I thought it was an interesting premise, but the movie doesn't even attempt to explain what it's own point is.  It's obviously set up for a sequel, and the point may become clearer then.  But I have to say  I'm not anxious to see the sequel, because the first movie isn't interesting enough to go back for more.  The maze itself is really cool, but beyond that there's not much.  I'm enjoying the Hunger Games.  I liked Divergent, even though it's hard to see the point of that movie too.  But dystopian future movies for teenagers, with unrealistic and rather shallow plots requiring 3 or 4 trips to the theater over a 4 to 6 year period seem to be a big thing now.  I think I'm getting bored with them.  I'll go out on a limb here and predict that this current rage will not be as long lasting as the superhero genre, and many of the come lately films cashing in on the trend will die before their final sequel.  We shall see.

Savior2006

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 15, 2014, 11:42:14 PM
Damn, Savior, you ruined my favorite movie.  I used to think it was great?!  I hated that kid--loved Bubba.

Question: where you abusing cocaine at the time?

QuoteI thought it was one of Kings more realistic movies. 

Well, I guess that answers my question. =D
--ApostateLois

--St Giordano

stromboli

I didn't like Maximum Overdrive because the premise is fucking idiotic.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Savior2006 on September 20, 2014, 08:31:42 PM

Question: where you abusing cocaine at the time?

Well, I guess that answers my question. =D
Well, savior that was my poor attempt at sarcasm. :)  My real thoughts about the movie matches stromboli.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Savior2006

Quote from: Mike Cl on September 20, 2014, 09:47:43 PM
Well, savior that was my poor attempt at sarcasm. :)  My real thoughts about the movie matches stromboli.

Oh man, I feel stupid.  =D

Really, had the movie been 90 minutes long with just the kid trekking through what's left of America with killer cars. THAT would be a good movie.
--ApostateLois

--St Giordano

stromboli

The Fifth Element. The only Bruce Willis movie I've watched more than once. 8/10.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Savior2006 on September 20, 2014, 11:31:35 PM
Oh man, I feel stupid.  =D

Really, had the movie been 90 minutes long with just the kid trekking through what's left of America with killer cars. THAT would be a good movie.